• This topic has 158 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by 11smithjilsss12-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • So where is this miracle source of unlimited green energy?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

i admit there is one drawback – not everyone has a 1200acre farm on a Galloway hillside to collect rainwater.

There’s too many people then. Sterilize everyone who doesn’t have a hill farm.

enmac
    Free Member

Germany is closing gas power stations not because they can’t compete but because they are not allowed to compete. Power companies have to buy all the energy generated by solar panels from private individuals at subsidised prices. During the summer this means other sources of power stand idle making them inefficient and uneconomic. The irony is that the only power source that can compete against subsidised renewables is coal and Gemany’s CO2 emmisions have actually risen. Shale gas in the US has displced coal and their emmissions have gone down. It’s all to do with unintended consequences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23127175%5Dnull

aracer
    Free Member

for me however, your subsidy argument holds no weight though since all energy production is subsidised.

That may be the case, but in a world where wind farms are not only paid not to produce energy, but also the back up to them for when the wind isn’t blowing gets huge payments, the market is sufficiently distorted that your argument about non-renewable plants being shut down because they’re not economically viable carries no weight at all.

but it is on a path, not at the end of it. as a country germany is a net exporter though and it doesnt have the option of tidal/wave energy that the uk does, which could easily provide a totally predictable base load.

Net exported at the moment maybe – I doubt that will be the case when it shuts down lots of current plants. I am also pleased to see the good old argument about how easy it is to do something we can’t actually do yet – given you mention wave energy, can I also check you understand what base load is? I agree that harnessing tidal energy is a potential means to generate reliable energy, but we’re nowhere near there yet – and one thing the “greens” who propose such things always seem to ignore are the potential environmental impacts of such schemes – Severn tidal barrage anybody?

fifo
    Free Member

and one thing the “greens” who propose such things always seem to ignore are the potential environmental impacts of such schemes – Severn tidal barrage anybody?

Think under-water wind turbines, rather than barrages

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Counter-rotating magnets. With the added benefit of anti gravity.

I’ll get my foil covered hat……..

stumpy01

It’s a two pronged attack, isn’t it?

Teaching people to use less energy and getting them to do it, while at the same time developing viable alternatives.

All the business parks/shopping centres/industrial estates around the country/world that leave their lights on all the time. Office blocks lit up all night, computers left on constantly/roadway lighting everywhere…….the govt bans incandescent bulbs and forces people to switch to low energy while round the corner on the nearby industrial estate all the loading bays are lit up with massive lights all night but the whole place is closed. Security reasons? Perhaps. But fit motion detectors….

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The landscape is covered with pilons, they already have to be accessed and maintained and they already have cable routing options to and from power sources/switching stations. So why not add an array of VAWT turbines on each one. That would seem logical.

Add to that, a small HAWT turbine on each streetlight, it could even generate and use its own power if converted to LED, if they can do it for ‘slow down’ smiley signs it must be doable for streetlights.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

A friend has mentioned that there is a type of horizontal wind turbine that can be retrofitted to the apex of a roof.
    The theory is that the wind is forced upwards by the roofline, much like the effect on an aeroplane wing and drives the turbines at the top, thus maximising the wind energy harnessed. Couldn’t find any info on’t web though. Anyone else with a bit more knowledge?

aracer
    Free Member

Think under-water wind turbines, rather than barrages

Well, yes – if that wasn’t the case I’d be shouting my opposition, rather than being generally in support, but even those have environmental impact. Maybe not significant for the number being deployed at the moment, but if you expect them to provide a significant proportion of our power requirements, then the numbers required could have an impact. I mention the Severn barrage, because there does still appear to be significant support for that though.

So why not add an array of VAWT turbines on each one. That would seem logical.

If you look at it from a very trivial perspective rather than performing a proper analysis of the scales and costs involved maybe it does.

The most important area to concentrate on is clearly reduction in usage – unfortunately that sort of thing isn’t sexy large scale infrastructure, so as a result doesn’t attract the same level of subsidies.

fifo
    Free Member

I think the balance is the damage caused by continuing to burn fossil fuels. beyond that, I guess there just have to be decisions made on a case-by-case basis. But how you do that, whilst working at the national level to ensure energy security is anyone’s guess.

Doing nothing and carrying on with BAU will have big, unpredicatble effects on a large number of ecosystems, but how you balance that against local damage directly caised by the the establishment of some form or renewable energy is the problem

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you look at it from a very trivial perspective rather than performing a proper analysis of the scales and costs involved maybe it does.

Well that will teach me to keep my trivial thoughts to myself!!! 😯

konabunny
    Free Member

couldn’t we just burn all the straw men?

aracer
    Free Member

Doing nothing and carrying on with BAU will have big, unpredicatble effects on a large number of ecosystems, but how you balance that against local damage directly caised by the the establishment of some form or renewable energy is the problem

For projects like the Severn barrage, you’re creating a known major environmental impact, the potential environmental benefit of which will be tiny – that’s if you bother to work out what difference it will make to CO2 emissions on a global scale, something the supporters of the scheme don’t seem too interested in.

aracer
    Free Member

The energy density is a bit low.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Dynamos, dynamos everywhere.

footflaps

The energy density is a bit low.

We just need bigger straw men to compensate.

fifo
    Free Member

For projects like the Severn barrage, you’re creating a known major environmental impact, the potential environmental benefit of which will be tiny – that’s if you bother to work out what difference it will make to CO2 emissions on a global scale, something the supporters of the scheme don’t seem too interested in.

So… what do you propose?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I reckon if we make this nernenergy so obscenely expensive to buy, people will use less of it.

Or, maybe we could start off by burning all the hippies.

Erm. Serious thought; cover desert regions with solar panels or those mirror based sunlight focusing steam turbine power station thingies, and begin producing a metric fckton of hydrogen. That might substitute a bit of oil for transport issues.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Geothermal

irelanst
    Free Member

Geothermal

And accelerate the cooling of the earths core, are you mad? That will trigger the next ice age. Unless of course we burn enough fossil fuels to balance it out 😉

igm

Thetallpaul – it’s called Ridgeblade. They’re based near Harrogate. If you’re interested I have contact details for one of their directors. And yes it looks like an interesting solution for roof lines across the prevailing wind (it has a limited angle of wind that produces a good result as I recall).

Muppetwangler – correct storage and transportation are the real issues. Particularly storage. With decent storage solutions you could almost run your house from a G83 microgram installation. Some interesting work being done at present on this which if it doesn’t work should at least reliable seat tubeless tyres.

Rogerthecat – somewhere I have the drawings of turbines on pylons some where that a design agency did, presumably as a joke. The problem is that a turbine that might go on a pylon would be pretty small probably generating at 415 or 690V at a stretch maybe a few kV (something like that). Pylons in the UK carry 132kV, 275kV or 400kV (ignoring the handful at 33 & 66kV) so you’d need a large and expensive transformer to go with. The energy and cost burnt in manufacture and installation would not be justified by the output of the wind turbine.

And all those who said reduce your energy use are right too.

igm

aracer – Member
    The energy density is a bit .

Actually some people make a decent living out of burning straw to generate electricity.

Not many to be fair.

Time to stop looking for “The Answer” and start looking for lots of partial answers I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Article about a village in Germany

Lolz.. crap article. It seems they are generating enough to cover their domestic housing usage. I see nothing about powering their cars, or powering large factories and mines, transporting the goods they use, or the workers to and from those factories to make the stuff they buy etc etc etc etc.

Erm. Serious thought; cover desert regions with solar panels or those mirror based sunlight focusing steam turbine power station thingies, and begin producing a metric fckton of hydrogen. That might substitute a bit of oil for transport issues

Well this is a good idea except for 2 issues: Desert regions have little water from which to make hydrogen, and transporting hydrogen is incredibly difficult. It tends to leak out of any container in which you put it, and it also has extremely low energy density. A tanker of crude oil gives you a load of petrol, diesel, ship fuel, heating oil etc and tons of useful chemicals including the stuff we use to make plastics and all sorts of other things. A tanker load of hydrogen would only carry one of those things (and not much of that either), so could only be sold once.

Nice idea in principle though. A better idea would be to fix hydrogen and carbon out of air and water to make your own hydrocarbon fuels. This can be done with machines (powered by solar electricity I presume), with algae, with some kind of fungus or lichen, or simply with plants.

The Molgrips Special Plan for Economic Development and Renewable Energy invests heavily in fusion long term, but in the short term piles a shitload of money into salt-water tolerant algae which can be farmed in huge rafts out at sea to produce biomass and/or biodiesel; and bioethanol from cellulose which would allow trees, grass, weeds, food waste and any old thing to be turned into liquid fuel to replace petrol. Oh and medium term, find a way to transport hydrogen from Iceland and the Middle East.

Although.. what about turning biomass into solid fuel bricks to use in steam powered cars? How efficient would that be?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Here’s another trivial thought!

It’s not going to be a silver bullet, it may have to be lots of localised solutions, if transport and storage are such big issues.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@IGM – thanks for the answer, seems logical.

What about looking at houses deriving as much energy in situ – VAWT on chimneys, ground heat pumps, solar panels and then energy saving/reduction – obviously there is a cost but can that be balanced off against the £xBn required for a new Nuclear Powerstation?

And, I do appreciate that there is an embedded energy cost in the kit, with all the reprocessing costs/energy but that may be easier to deal with than several tonnes of radioactive waste every year?

fifo
    Free Member

but in the short term piles a shitload of money into salt-water tolerant algae which can be farmed in huge rafts out at sea to produce biomass and/or biodiesel;

The only problem with this, and why it’s not already been done, is the huge amount of nutrients required, the embedded energy in which (N fertiliser) or finite nature (P) make this a bit of a non-starter on any meaningful scale. That, and pumping the oceans full of extra nutrients is probably more destructive that many Severn barrages

thetallpaul
    Free Member

@igm Thanks. Have found their website. They look to still be in development, but haven’t updated anything since 2011.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

@molgrips

Well this is a good idea except for 2 issues: Desert regions have little water from which to make hydrogen, and transporting hydrogen is incredibly difficult. It tends to leak out of any container in which you put it, and it also has extremely low energy density. A tanker of crude oil gives you a load of petrol, diesel, ship fuel, heating oil etc and tons of useful chemicals including the stuff we use to make plastics and all sorts of other things. A tanker load of hydrogen would only carry one of those things (and not much of that either), so could only be sold once.

I admit the idea isn’t problem free and doesn’t even begin to address the non-fuel aspects of the oil problem.

Pipelines are pretty good at transporting gas, and I think as a rule energy companies are experienced with pipelines. Not sure how well they’d work for (sea)water (huge pumping requirements + does it need purifying?). And of course vulnerable to sabotage, etc.

wikipedia:

Although expensive, pipelines are the cheapest way to move hydrogen. Hydrogen gas piping is routine in large oil-refineries, because hydrogen is used to hydrocrack fuels from crude oil.

igm

Rogerthecat – that might be technically feasible soon. Storage, preferably local, will be the issue, and storing large amounts of energy always has issues – mainly losses (see mil grips comments on leaking hydrogen) and safety (if there’s a lot of energy in there and something goes wrong its going to get messy). The halfway house is to generate at home and use the distribution and transmission networks (the grid) to absorb excess or supply the shortfall. This is done now by many people. However the grid was designed (and I’m thinking voltage profiles in the first instance) for power flows from high voltages towards homes and businesses. It has some reverse capacity but its limited. Smart solutions will help but if everyone wants to generate and use the grid to balance its going to get expensive.

Just to declare my vested interest, I work for a distribution company and I’ve had a hand in connecting generators as designer engineer or design manager for many many years.

Thetallpaul – they aren’t too interested in the British market as the microgram certification scheme excludes low level roof mounted turbines (or did – I think they have to be around 7m clear of the roof to qualify, but I may be wrong).
    The original design came about because the inventor lived in the North York Moors Nat. Park and wanted a design the planners would let him use. Most of their patents relate to low noise/low vibration bearings – roof=big sound box.

igm

Mrmonkfinger – hydrogen is a very small molecule gas which introduces a load of problems with leakage compared to natural gas that the gas companies send to people’s houses

igm

And the transport issue is easy

This is a cycling website isn’t it?

Edit: 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Although expensive, pipelines are the cheapest way to move hydrogen. Hydrogen gas piping is routine in large oil-refineries

Yeah and it’s one thing transporting it across a site, something else entirely to pipe it from the say, the Red Sea to the UK.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

igm – I guess this simply drives up the pipe cost for new massive transport pipelines. I was thinking generation to power station type pipes not necessarily straight to consumers, but now you come to mention that… Does the molecule size rule out using the existing gas network, or could individual installations be rechecked for leaks?

molgrips
    Free Member

And the transport issue is easy

Ok even if cycling were a feasible alternative for every journey, I reckon persuading everyone to get on their bike instead of into a car would be harder than developing fusion.

Does the molecule size rule out using the existing gas network, or could individual installations be rechecked for leaks?

I think it’s more a case of the gas diffusing out of containers and pipes, rather than leaking from cracks.

fifo
    Free Member

Does the molecule size rule out using the existing gas network,

Yes

or could individual installations be rechecked for leaks?

Probably futile

igm

Molgrips – what about persuading them to use a fusion powered bicycle?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Does the need for better distribution present opportunities for new developments in technology and infrastructure that have a more demonstrable need that HS2?

Would a stop gap solution for hydrogen be the large gas cylinders used on many remote farms?

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – what about persuading them to use a fusion powered bicycle?

I think that market is probably limited to Batman.

Would a stop gap solution for hydrogen be the large gas cylinders used on many remote farms?

I think it would require a major leap forward in materials technology, rather than just a new design of tank. Not sure though. Plus those cylinders need to be driven about in trucks.

igm

HS2 is a great idea in the wrong place. It should be a big circle linking Manchester, Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow and back to Manchester. Alternative stops might be considered, but why would we need another line to London that from where I live in York will actually be slower than the existing route? It will be marginally faster to Leeds to be fair.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘So where is this miracle source of unlimited green energy?’ is closed to new replies.