Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • So Where in Chicksands can I ride?
  • Dogdrag
    Free Member

Been over chicksands today turned right in the woods from the main carpark that's in the field. followed a track round and got stopped by a local so called resident who said that there was no trail through where we were. He got all abusive until the my mate who I was riding with got off his bike, and in certain terms stood his ground.
    So my question, where in Rowney Warren wood can you ride? as there are no markers only arrows on trees, some red, some yellow and some that look like they have been removed. A pretty poor show if your an XC rider visiting the venue. It never used to be like that 20 years ago or even when my mate Giles used to run the Fat trax club, so what's happened since? My riding buddy was furious and I had to shorten his leash to keep him under control, Think he had a bad night at work.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

old wounds reopened…

fwiw I know the trail to which you refer & the residents that back on to the wood have been
    verciferous regarding the use of it by MTBrs.

basically their is no right to ride in Rowney Warren except where beds fat trax have their 2 hills.
    MTBs are tolerated between Sandy Road & the "bike park".
    between sandy road & shefford there are "no MTB trails".
    BFT are not interested in supporting the XC side & have actively removed the red & blue routes.

the best thing to do is: ride anywhere you like (follow the yellow red & white arrows on trees) & abuse the walkers. eventually the BFT will be kicked out. MTBs will be banned. the forest car parks will be closed & the walkers will stop going too.

Then I can reclaim the woods & ride there, in peace, all day & all night. sweet

Dogdrag
    Free Member

crotchrocket

Sweet! I'm with you on that one. 😀

HokeyCokey
    Free Member

There does seem to be a new red arrow route that's just appeared. I tried following it but seems a half hearted attempt at an xc route, looks like someone has cut down firs with a saw. Still might pack down a bit, especially since Chicksands is in MBR this month.

I saw a group of young lads doing it as well. They all were struggling apart from an old bold bloke on a Rocky Mountain. Incredible!

Jase
    Free Member

Why would you want to ride there?

I've been there a couple of times and its basically all over in 20 mins.

I would never travel far to ride there.

Oh, and it costs £5 a pop!!!

movingslowly
    Free Member

ah…I remember riding with Giles Henday many years ago. The woods were better in those days, before the jump-spot became popular.

Dogdrag
    Free Member

Why would you want to ride there?

I've been there a couple of times and its basically all over in 20 mins.

I would never travel far to ride there.

Oh, and it costs £5 a pop!!!

Try following the red arrows route and see if you can clear all the hills, it's about a medium grade, not world cup standard by far, but should keep you entertained a bit longer than 20 mins. Oh and if you go fast enough they won't catch and charge you 😉

juiced
    Free Member

please act responsibly. For improving bike skills Chicksands is awesome.

Steve-P
    Free Member

LOL Crotchrocket, we are so on the same page.

I've had run in with people on that very stretch you are talking about. Now I just back off, stop and let people pass. Being polite rather than riding right at them can help diffuse a possible flare up.

I would NEVER drive to Chicky to just ride around it – as beautiful as it is, and challenging in parts, I integrate it into my local 20+ mile loop.

The steepness of some of the climbs is great technical training if you are heading off to Afan, etc…

Just ignore the jumpy area (and the BFT), be nice to people you come across (unless they have a pop at you anyway) and follow the yellow markers… as I did Monday and yesterday…

S

mAx_hEadSet

This thread has all the makings to turn into a good turf war…. which forum to post a link to I wonder???

qwerty
    Free Member

ride naked, ride free

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘So Where in Chicksands can I ride?’ is closed to new replies.