Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So where are all these people?
  • br
    Free Member

Obesity levels in Scotland are much worse than shown in official figures released earlier this year.

A “clerical error” meant statistics, published in June, underestimated the scale of the problem.

The original data failed to include details of the most morbidly obese Scots

the proportion of obese males aged 16-plus increased to 27.7%.

and the total for females rises substantially by more than four per cent to 27.6%.

So apparently over a 1/4 of my neighbours/folk in the street/shops etc are obese – but, while there are a lot of fat people around I can’t imagine where all these obese ones are?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23552735

crikey
    Free Member

I can’t imagine where all these obese ones are

In your kitchen, eating your food…

Now.

footflaps

They’re so fat they’re trapped in their own homes, living off deliveries of deep fried mars bars etc..

dannybgoode

As is the way with statistics just because they say 1 in 4 people are obese it does not mean 1 in 4 of the people you know are.

Demographics etc play a part in this in that there will be some areas where the numbers are much higher say 3 in 4 and others where it is 0 in 4

Cheers

Danny B

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can’t scale up the picture but it is surprising how slim obese can be. Not so sure about morbidly obese.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I can’t imagine where all these obese ones are?

Off making documentaries for Channel 5?

piemonster

but it is surprising how slim obese can be. Not so sure about morbidly obese

Are you sure, I’d need to put on 4 1/2 stone!

Assuming everyone is built with fell running in mind with no requirement for muscle obviously. Like a skinny T Rex, with the arms just used to shove jelly babies in my face.

ac282

As mentioned above, we are so used to seeing overweight people everywhere that people who are only obese rather than morbidly obese don’t stand out.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I will never forget a conversation I had with a GP around 7 months ago. We were talking about BMIs and I said that my BMI was 27ish. They could not believe that I was overweight. Because despite being 90 odd kg I looked skinny.

piemonster

Quite right there are exceptions.

However, most people with a BMI of 27, will be a bit fat.

It’s a rule of thumb that applies to most, but not all.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

dannybgoode

Interestingly also they have now decided that people can be overweight but healthy depending on their aerobic fitness.

So, I am 15st-ish, BMI 27 and 6’2″ so am overweight but can cycle 60-70 mile sin my current state of fitness and with a few weeks half an effort at training can crack off 100 miles so have a lower risk of heart problems etc.

Conversely there are people who whilst are at the target weight for their height etc are desperately unfit and can barely climb the stair without getting out of breath and are really quite unhealthy.

There is more to this than being overweight (within reason of course).

piemonster

If you can ride 60-70 miles, you are already fit enough to crack 100. You just need to eat more.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Seriously you haven’t seen ’em? Fatties everywhere. Just go into town on a Saturday afternoon and observe.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You don’t need to look fat to be ‘obese’. I’m borderline obese on the BMI scale, many people don’t even consider me to be ‘fat’.

piemonster

You look fat to me
    Joking

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Silverburn or braehead. On a Sunday. That’s where they are.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Chubby with wonky thumbs if you as me…

footflaps

Hard to tell, you seem to be wearing a sack as a top…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

That fitted when he was morbidly obeses

footflaps

That fitted when he was morbidly obese

🙂

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t imagine where all these obese ones are?

Mostly on here starting threads about weight loss 😉

kuman
    Free Member

I’m 6ft1 and 105kg, according to bmi chart I’m obese 🙁

😉

maccruiskeen

Are you sure, I’d need to put on 4 1/2 stone!

I’ve put on 4 stone over the last 20 years – I’m 6’6″ and thats the difference between 34″ waist jeans and 36″ and 36″ will only stay up with a belt. So in the scheme of things you wouldn’t really be able to tell by looking if someone gained or lost 3 or 4 stone unless they were very thin to begin with.

The media illustrates news items about weight with images people who are super heavyweight whilst discussing statistics about a much broader definition of obesity.

Like a skinny T Rex, with the arms just used to shove jelly babies in my face.

But frustratingly a t rex’s arms are too short to reach their mouth – denied!. All they are good for is tweeking their own nipples….. except they’re not mammals. denied! No wonder they were so bad tempered.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m overweight on the BMI chart. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to BMI, it’s as flawed as calorie controlled diets are.
    I would say Tucker looks chunky there, but not fat and not obese.

oldnpastit

The BMI scale is broken.

It’s defined as mass/(height squared).

It’s pretty obvious that your mass will go up as the cube of your height, not the square.

So if you are “obese” according to your BMI, you might just be tall.

It also ignores the difference in density between fat and muscle. So you might just be a tall fit person.

totalshell

load of rubbish.. this BMI malarky they should stick to flying planes.

as a 5 foot 10 16st bloke im morbidly obese, but can happily ride all day or walk from here to eternity..

but i ve every chance of dying young because my hearts mostly plastic and i ve had two heart attacks and a stroke.. must be what i ate… hang on that all happened when i was 11 stone and winning nemba races..

SO all you racing snakes that have less fat than a corn on the cob start eating pies and save yourselves!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep if it’s BMI based it will include the scottish rugby team & Chris Hoy with his thighs probably.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

muscle mass is I believe heavy. So for a given weight (of mainly muscle mass) and a given height it is possible that a high bmi would register, although in reality it could just be that your heavy, with a low fat content. It’s only a guide as I understand and probably useful for most normal folk. I understand a more important consideration for individuals is the amount of fat around the waist.

That’s why when people diet they can lose weight as they lose muscle. It’s why when people take up excercise they can get heavier due to developing more muscle mass, although the fat content is likely to go down.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is it the journalist or the editor who doesn’t know the difference between percentage changes and percentage point changes?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

of course people can also lose weight( from fat reduction ) by better diet and lose weight ( from fat reduction ) by taking up excercise.

BoardinBob

Silverburn or braehead.

Try The Fort on a weekend. Eye opening stuff.

richpips
    Free Member

Obesity levels in Scotland are much worse than shown in official figures released earlier this year.

Just back from a trip to the Highlands. There are some big folk up there.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So where are all these people?’ is closed to new replies.