Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • So, when do the midgies start in Scotland
  • aP
    Free Member

Intending to do a light touring run down from Rannoch Station to London in mid June. Will it be midgie hell up there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Usually june but with the cold winter I am hoping there will be a lot less of the feckers around this year

As for will it be midgie hell – thats not a bad time of year but far more depends on the conditions.

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/

aP
    Free Member

Not quite sure yet on the route through the narrow bit – might be a chance for that beer TJ!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the midge standard time would be May to September, outside that time would probably be ok. However, I've been on Skye in May when the wind drops in the evening and the little buggers were out and about. As someone said, this year there might be less in May, due to the harsh winter.

Andy-W
    Free Member

"avon skin so soft" works for a lot of people to stop them eating you alive,

epicyclo

There will be none this year, we'll have to import some exotic bloodsuckers to keep the tourists away 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

There was an article on the BBC news website yesterday saying that a proportion of them had been killed by the cold weather, hooray!

However, the article also said that there were still trillions of them left, boo!

jimmy

I was up in Glen Coe in January climbing up Stob Coire Nam Beith and there were midges jumping around on the snow. I shit ye not, my heart sank. Hoping likewise to TJ. Just to not be breathing the feckers in would be nice.

davidrussell
    Free Member

do you think ticks will have taken a beating this year too? hate those little b'stards too.

uplink
    Free Member
    sweepy
    Free Member

just take a good quality net, nothing else works.
    while your moving youre generally ok as they cant keep up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘So, when do the midgies start in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.