Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So… Wheelbuilding…
  • dogthomson

Always fancied having a crack at building some wheels, so…

1) Is it really that hard?!

2) What do I need? Other than a hub, a rim, some spokes and nipples.

Onzadog
    Free Member

1) no
    2) time, patience and a copy of Roger Musson’s Wheelpro book.

kilo

A decent spoke key makes it easier, got mine and spokes etc from Spa cycles,Parker and Chain Reaction for hubs and rims;

These may be of use;

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/Welcome.aspx?language=en

I tend to get the measuements from the rinard spreadsheet then use the dt swiss site for calculations – but I have only done road wheels so far.

Not downloaded the previously mentioned book but have used the instructions here;

http://www.bikewebsite.com/build.htm

and found them easy to follow.

Its not as much a mystery /art as people think and is strangely fun and I am by nature clumsy and mechanicaly unsubtle 😆

mmb
    Free Member

nope it’s not hard i’ve four bikes in the house and have built seven of the wheels, finished a pair just yesterday!
    onzadog plus 1 here time patience and a good eye.

dogthomson

Great stuff, good positive responses! Let’s talk tools then, other than a spoke key what else do I need? Heard truing stands mentioned before?

bobbyspangles

come and do a course with us!
    atg training.

jools182
    Free Member

eee, might have a go at this myself, just been looking at some green Spank rims for the Patriot, but then was put off by the thought of how much it was going to cost me to build them up

lipseal
    Free Member

bobby s is the corse £350? If so what do you get to take home?

jools182
    Free Member

I don’t know if you need a truing stand, I just think it makes things easier

pretty sure I’ve heard of people cobbling something up to do the same job

sv

Wheelpro book makes it very easy including making your own truing stand and nipple driver. Well worth £9!

martymac

you could make a truing stand with an old pair of forks with a brake on them, upside down in a vice.
    its not that hard, if you can set your gears up you can manage this, imho,
    ive built my own wheels for the last 18 years, never had any problems.
    its very therapeutic. (spelling?)

foxyrider
    Free Member

As above – built 5 wheels now and getting better – go for it 🙂

stew1982
    Free Member

+1 for Wheel pro
    I’ve just had my first ride on some of my “home-made” wheels, and despite my fear of impeding doom stood up perfectly on some pretty hard riding (plus i weigh 17st).

It wasn’t difficult, just took some time and patients, have a go! (it was also very satisfying to do)

Oh and I used my frame and some cable ties for a truing stand, although am now in the middle of making the one from Wheelpro, as it will probably make life easier

leffeboy

Frame and cable ties or even clothes pegs works well. It will just take you a little longer as it is more difficult to work at funny heights or with bits in the way. A good spoke key really helpless though.

Just go for it, it is really worth it

ando227
    Free Member

£9 for the wheel pro book (download) is your best way forward. Easy to follow common sense instructions which ensure even your first build is a pleasurable experience.. His design for home made truing stand is also easy and fun to build.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So… Wheelbuilding…’ is closed to new replies.