Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • So what's wrong with my Saint brakes?
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi

My new (to me) bike came with Saint M820 brakes.

They have been average at best and the rear failed completely last ride out.

The lever was coming to the bar, the pads were low but not non existent.

Got to the point where the lever didn’t return to its position when I pulled it. Like it was no longer part of the hydraulic system.

So I set about bleeding them.

Could not get fluid to flow through the system. On disconnecting the lever end of things the caliper seemed ok and fluid moved freely through the caliper and out the open end where I had disconnected from the lever assembly.

So something in the lever assembly appears to be defunct.

Any ideas?

I would rather not buy a whole new lever assembly at £55 or so.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

Master cylinder (lever) piston sounds like it’s stuck down. You may be able to strip it, and identify/rectify the problem, but if it requires any internal parts then you’ll be looking at replacement levers. Properly bled, and in good working order, they should be quite capable of throwing you over the bars if you aren’t careful.

maxtorque

I find that the “servo wave” bit, which is effectively a slot with a roller in it that can vary the effective lever ratio over its travel, gets grit in it, and the lever is then slow or notchy to return! A bit of a clean out and all’s well again (till it gets full of winter slop again)

stoney
    Free Member

Buy Hope Brakes instead….

You will never have an issue with “getting a spare part”

Sorted! 8)

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have used Formula for 15 years and never bleed a set yet… some 15 year old jobbies still going strong on 2 bikes.

I turned to Formula from Hope, they were certainly overrated back then but not tried any for years.

I have had a good go at the lever assembly, cleaned and poked about and fettled….. thought I had it sussed but no… new lever ordered and fingers crossed it works a treat once set up properly. Bleed the front and it is much improved in the stand.

Has lead to me having a proper go at the bike… every part taken off, cleaned and lubed. every bearing removed, opened up, cleaned and fresh grease.

Shock and forks off and ready to have seals etc done…. must stop and sleep though…

pictonroad

I’ve got a saint lever in the shed I can sell you if can’t get it fixed, email in profile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘So what's wrong with my Saint brakes?’ is closed to new replies.