• This topic has 47 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nano.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • So, what's with this Audi/Orange stereotype?
  • bowie278
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few posts/comments on here over time saying that people who ride Orange bikes must drive Audi’s, or if you have an Audi you must ride an Orange etc.

It’s as if some of you are saying they’re a certain type of person, or they fit a certain stereotype due to the car they drive and the bike they ride? Tell me, what is this stereotype?

Audi make great cars and Orange make great bikes so where’s the problem? And before we start I don’t drive an Audi, although I do ride a Five. It’s great for the kind of riding I do, and I like the look of it and find it great to ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s just a bit of a cliche on here.

Both hugely overrated.

allthepies
    Free Member

I thought it was Santa Cruz + Audi + Surrey Hills 🙂

Perhaps Orange + Audi + Wasteland is the Northern equivalent 😉

bowie278
    Free Member

Both hugely overrated

One of the most common cars on the road is Audi, and one of the most common bike brands on UK trails are Orange.

They must be doing something right.

gaz552
    Free Member

Both brands are a bit overpriced maybe?

My next cars most likely to be an audi a3. Why? because I like VW/Audi group cars, I need something bigger than what I currently have and I also want 4 wheel drive for when I’m towing a trailer to mx races. Does that make me a stereotype?

bowie278
    Free Member

Exactly gaz552… I’m with you. I ride an Orange… does this make me a stereotype?

skindog
    Free Member

I think the similarities are due to Audi using a single pivot suspension system on their cars which is more suitable for the British road conditions that these multi-link Kia versions. Plus Audi’s are hand built in the UK so your doing your bit for UK Plc.

That is the way it is and will stay forever. Stop being so narrow minded with your new ideas.

pictonroad

I *think* (and I might be wrong) that it’s just a bit of light hearted generalisation for the purposes of lampooning. I doubt it stands up to scrutiny.

warns74
    Free Member

Right…..let me see:

Live in Surrey? – Check
    Drive Audi? – Check
    Ride Surrey Hills? – Check
    Own Orange? – Check
    Ride a 29er? – Check
    Give a cr4p about STW stereotypes or what anyone else thinks? – err no!!
    Love riding my bike? – hell yes! 😀

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yeah it doesnt stand up to scrutiny very well unlike all bmw drivers being knobs which is so obviously a fact.

kendo954
    Free Member

i dont own a car (use work van)

i own an orange alpine….. not sure what that makes me 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Both affluent, inspirational, great marketing but under performing & overpriced.

timc
    Free Member

people dont like others having expensive stuff 😈

flybywire
    Free Member

what performs better than an Audi?

Northwind

There’s a couple of others that work, I remember being in Glentress car park one day and realising that every car was either an Octavia or Focus estate and every bike was a british-branded steel or titanium hardtail.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

i believe it started here:
    Urban Dictionary definition of SingleTrackWorld

still funny 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I bumped into abloke on a carbon Santa Cruz on Yoghurt pots/Surrey hills. He didnt laugh when I pointed out the obvious cliche…

Coming from a northern bloke on a Orange.

Northwind

flybywire – Member

Considering the number of times it’s an A4 estate, but the boot’s too small for bikes so they’re all on the roof, I’d say quite a lot of cars perform better 😉

Course, if it was in the boot nobody would be able to see your new XX1 drivetrain and tyres with 27.5 written on the side in 2 inch high letters.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s funny because it’s true…DurrHurrHurr

tazzymtb

Normally both owned by portly gentleman of a middle aged type usually in middle management or IT. Usually obsessed with the badge and supposed status it confers than any actual quality of the the item.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Insecure much?

It’s the new BMW + Specialized.

Basically means you’re common as muck.

amedias
    Free Member

They must be doing something right

marketing/brand image?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I own a pimped out Orange 5AM as it was my dream bike, I also own a totally stock Golf R32 (VAG so sort of Audi as it has same V6 and 4 motion) as my toy car as I always promised myself another V6 or V8 one day. That day came with retirement when I became financially able to afford both my dream bike and car.
    Day to day I however run about in a 1.3cdti 8 year old vauxhall combo van and ride a 2009 built On One 456 with holes in some of my riding kit and no fashion sense in general clothing.
    I don’t do fancy foreign holidays or eat in the poshest places prefferring a tasty bacon batch and a brew to fine dining.
    We all have our passions and preferences ansd things that are very special to us and treasured and if we were all the same it would be a very dull word. I never look down on people for what they do or don’t posess or own as whatever they treasure no matter what the value is their treasure.
    Having made my speech what I do hate to see is a mountain bike being treated like a fine piece of china displayed like a status symbol. They were made and designed for riding in mountains, if it gets scratched it’s no trauma, likewise why on gods earth have a performance car and never red line it or use Sports mode. The people that we have all seen with these types of machines are I believe the ones that STW and the rest of us mock in the car parks at trail centres……….I prepare to be told otherwise…….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Orange + Audi

What if you own an Orange Audi 😳 😀

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve had fun with a couple of work colleagues telling them how my Mondeo is more exclusive than their 3 series (also works with Audi’s).

timmys

I don’t really get the Audi/Orange thing

I would have though the priorities to an Orange owner are simple effective engineering/easy to work on/buying British, and the their absolute lowest priority would be aesthetics. Therefore I would have thought a Land Rover Defender would be the closest fit.

(Disclaimer; own an Audi, can’t see myself ever buying an Orange)

banks
    Free Member

Surely its Audi/VW T5 with a Santa Cruz with pikes now… Based on the people around the peaks anyway.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I drive an Octavia vRS.

I have a different British single-pivot 5-6″ travel 650b bike.

Pimpmistress Jazz tells me God loves a trier.

coogan
    Free Member

I almost bought an Audi but would never buy an Orange. Happy to help.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I would have though the priorities to an Orange owner are simple effective engineering/easy to work on/buying British

I think the priorities are saying those are your priorities, and denying it’s anything to do with being icy cool whilst secretly thinking ‘How icy cool am I!’.

legend
    Free Member

kendo954 – Member
    i dont own a car (use work van)
    i own an orange alpine….. not sure what that makes me

A thief

flybywire
    Free Member

Considering the number of times it’s an A4 estate, but the boot’s too small for bikes so they’re all on the roof, I’d say quite a lot of cars perform better
    ——————————————–

Agreed, bigger load carriers out there but great cars to live with. Carry loads well and comfortable/well built/fuel efficient (derv).

Rockplough
    Free Member

A thief

legend by name…

Suggsey
    Free Member

Legend you made me howl 😆

scruff
    Free Member

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Carry loads well and comfortable/well built/fuel efficient.

Mondeo? Vectra? Passat? Even a *gasp* BMW?

(And they’ve all got better boot space)

Sundayjumper

I would have though the priorities to an Orange owner are simple effective engineering/easy to work on/buying British, and the their absolute lowest priority would be aesthetics. Therefore I would have thought a Land Rover Defender would be the closest fit.

My neighbour rides an Orange and drives a Defender.

They’re old-fashioned designs that are badly built and unreliable.

Perfect match 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

The older I get the more I want a Defender, unfortunately the older Defender’s are getting the more expensive they are.

philfive
    Free Member

What does this mean?

Ferarri FF and Orange Five

scruff
    Free Member

Ferarri FF and Orange Five AT BIKE PARK WALES FTW !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘So, what's with this Audi/Orange stereotype?’ is closed to new replies.