Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • So what's the verdict on tapered head tubes then?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I guess a few people will have ridden them by now. Indispensable or just another annoying standard?

Not trolling (well, not really), just interested.

snakebite
    Free Member

Much stiffer, my bolt thru forks were twisting the head tube.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Pointless irritation that will none the less become a tedious unavoidible standard.

poppa
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s only worth it if you’re using long travel forks though?!

rootes1

doubt for most riders doing most general riding that people will be able to tell the difference….

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at snakebite, good troll.

nickc

Why not? For once a new standard that makes sense. Lighter than having 1.5 at both ends, stronger than 1 1/8th. All the advantages, few disadvantages. OK, if your using 80-100mm forks it’s not flag waving news, but anything above 140mm and giving it some abuse. I can see the point.

It’s like swapping cartridge BB for external. Same arguments then, now no-one gives it a second thought

hillsplease

I’ve got a 1.5 steerer on 120mm forks – it feels stiffer, but not in an entirely pleasing manner, relative to 1 1/8th. Similar Fox forks, same bars.

midlifecrashes

Unless someone starts producing frames exactly the same except for the headtube, no one will ever know if they are better.

ac282

Half the point of tapered forks is that you end up with a bigger head and have more space to attach a bigger downtube making the frame stiffer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘So what's the verdict on tapered head tubes then?’ is closed to new replies.