Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • So whats Aer Lingus like
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Booked my flights to Chicago for September, never gone with them before, what can I expect. Flying from Bristol to Dublin then on to O’Hare.

Cheers Starship 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Aer

kilo

They were crap when they lost the MiL’s luggage at Christmas time. Used them, llots to Ireland and back, fine just another airline really. can be quite expensive for Ireland more so if you’re happy enough to fly Ryanair on the same routes

molgrips
    Free Member

I doubt Aer Lingus lost the bags, that was probably the airport, no?

They’ve clearly had some kind of push to claim new routes, cos they are coming up all over the place when I search for flights to Chicago for the summer.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Good company, you’ll be going on the Airbus 330 which is a nice smooth fast machine.

kilo

We didn’t enter into an agreement with the airport, service agents or ground staff we bought the tickets aer lingus and dealt with them and it was them who couldn’t be bothered to deliver missing cases to the hotel, where other guest had the same problem with them, but insisted we drive 80km roundtrip to a roundabout in a nearby town to pick the cases up. Aer lingus aren’t cheap and this was shoddy I still use them but they’re nothing special and if Ryan air had the choice of flights I need I’d use them instead.

drapper
    Free Member

I fly them all the time to UK and Europe and never had an issue at all – fleet is modern – but service air who do most of their ground support is useless!! – guess the stop in Dublin is more pleasant to Heathrow or Gatwick?

Dark-Side

Flying to Boston with them on Monday, so will let you know.

somouk
    Free Member

My company often fly with them and I’ve flown with them about 25 times but normally dublin to New York or Boston.

Normally you would pre-clear US customs in Dublin which was really good but not sure if they allow that still.

Overall the service has been good and the aircraft are quite modern. The only time I had a problem was when an aircraft had been struck by lightening so was taken out of use and they didn’t have a spare.

Make sure you book your seats in advance and try and get in to the small section between business class and the main cabin. No more room in there but generally quieter.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Flew with them to Dublin,fantastic flights very pleasant crew.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve flown with them from Bristol to Boston and NY – they’re fine. Nothing special but if you can do the immigration pre-clearance in Dublin (not all US destinations allow this) then it’s a big plus as it saves 1+ hrs on arrival in the US. Also, for me, flying from Bristol makes the whole thing much easier than having to go from Heathrow.

Definitely book your seats in advance though as most people do so you’ll end up with little choice if you wait until check-in.

Dublin airport is pretty good – free, decent wifi and reasonable bars/restaurants.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ahhh ‘Aer Fungus’ as they used to be known, ‘The only Airline with Outside Toilets’

They’re not bad, just another budget carrier.

Pembo
    Free Member

Don’t you mean cunni?

I’d rather fly Ryanair on the Manchester to Dublin route due to the stupid bus offload when you land at Manchester. But they have started flying to SFO which is a really good option from Manchester.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You can pre-clear in Dublin for Chicago. I once flew Birmingham – Dublin – Chicago and was out the airport in Chicago before we were even scheduled to land. And clearing immigration in Chicago is normally pretty crappy.

Always found most trans-atlantic carriers much of a muchness. Although was on a crappy old plane with Aer Lingus and they had a fancy brochure showing you what you could watch on the in-seat entertainment if you weren’t on one of the crappy old planes (there were upgrading at the time). The ‘Here’s what you’re missing;’ bothered me more than if there was just no in-seat entertainment.

I think that they still fly out of Terminal 5 at O’Hare on the return leg, nothing beyond vending machines after security so don’t go through with plenty of time to spare thinking you’ll grab something to eat 😉

prettygreenparrot

When I’ve flown from MCR to Boston AL have been excellent. I’d never go via Heathrow again given the choice. The staff at the gate and on the plane at each hub have been brilliant. The experience of clearing US immigration in Eire is calmer than in Boston, or Newark, or JFK, or Philadelphia.

kennyp
    Free Member

Mrs Kenny was regularly flying to Dublin for work a few years ago. After the first few trips she told the company to book her onto Aer Lingus or she wasn’t going. The alternative was Ryan Air. I suspect that tells you a lot about both companies.

Tiger6791

Fly Heathrow to Cork a lot!

Quite like Aer Lingus

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘So whats Aer Lingus like’ is closed to new replies.