Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • so whats all this merino wool about?
  • tails
    Free Member

thinking of getting some of this fancy wool, i really like the howies clobber but they are not the cheapest of brands.

who else makes nice plain merino sweatshirts?

Del

icebreaker

Ringo
    Free Member

my endura baa baa one is nice

allthepies
    Free Member

I *heart* merino 🙂

Andy_K

Also Embers Merino

tails
    Free Member

i thankyou please

sadexpunk

on-one might have some left that you can get for half price with the right code. i got one 🙂

code was on an earlier thread somewhere.

hh45
    Free Member

I have some Howies, Icebreaker and ground effect and its all great. Overall Icebreaker is particularly good but more on technical side rather than casual.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Embers merino do good stuff and good customer service too.

woodsman
    Free Member

Howie's merino seems to be much more durable through the wash IME. Swobo make some lovely cycling tops, but can suffer on thorny bushes etc.

kiwijohn

Pure merino is not the most hard wearing. The ground effects bi-layer stuff is more durable for riding in.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

It's fantastic! All the properties you need. My wife's got some Smartwool socks and they're phenomenal. Even when her feet are soaking, you won't hear any complaints. I can recommend Smartwool to anyone – Flying Fox Bikes (http://www.flyingfoxbikes.com) are doing discounts on all their clothes this weekend (Alva, nr. Stirling, Central Scotland).

starseven
    Free Member

Love it, bought one a week ago, cool, warm, comfortable. It was tk maxx job but would buy more if they had em. 60/40 merino/something else.

CHB

embers merino is my fave. Had their stuff for over a year and it is well made and does not shrink or pill in the wash. Bought some cheap smartwool stuff in Cotswold sale, the embers stuff is nicer.

matt_outandabout

I *love* my Patagonia Merino kit now the temps have dropped…Great in damp (canoe, walking, peddalling) conditions, and no smelling….

plumber
    Free Member

Embers has be fantastic value and quality for me

allthepies
    Free Member

>Pure merino is not the most hard wearing. The ground effects bi-layer stuff is more durable for riding in.

Agreed, although the addition of polyester negates the "no-pong" merino benefit. My GE merino/polyester baselayer eventually fell to bits but after several yrs of fairly high use (I was disappointed in the way it failed to be honest).

AndyP
    Free Member

Agreed, although the addition of polyester negates the "no-pong" merino benefit.
    +1. Ground Effect stuff is great kit but does start to smell as bad as non-merino stuff owing to the inclusion of the poly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘so whats all this merino wool about?’ is closed to new replies.