Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • So what would you do.. (work related topic)
  • anto164
    Free Member

So, i’ve been in the position (Engineer) i’m in for 13 months, and well, it’s alright. Guys i work with are great, i’ve done shatloads of european travel, and the pay & perks is not too bad for my age (24).

Now, i was taken on permenantly to do a specific job through a transitional period whilst the company was started up with some long term aims/prospects

Now, i’m in the position i’m in now, with loads of work to do 1 week out of 4 (Due to my responsibilities and i’m the final oversee-er of a process which we have to do once a month and report straight to the CEO of the company for this), with me struggling to find myself things to do for the other 3 weeks.

Now, this is where it’s interesting. I’m one of the rare people without a job description and my contract is super general. I’ve been told that the company has a long term plan for me to become a site manager, but i’ve been told that i’ll be working with Mr X over the next couple of years to learn etc. Now, this keeps getting put off, and off and off and off. I’m at the point now where i’m getting tired of doing nothing at work inbetween my busy periods. I’m one of those people who thrive off pressure and being busy all the time (which was what my first 6 months was like).

I’ve started looking elsewhere for work, but i’m not too sure what to do. half of me wants to stay to see whether the promises and job description appears, whilst half of me wants to leave and do something different.I’ve chatted with my manager about this, and he’s keen in keeping me.

So, what would you do in this position? Promise of all sorts, but sceptical of whether it will deliver.

toby1

Sounds like you need to talk to them about it, either there is more work that you could be doing, or they don’t really need you that much, either way would be better to get your concerns into the open.

emma82
    Free Member

I stuck with a job for about 3 years longer than I should because of lots of ‘you are much better than this, sit tight, something good is coming up’. Nothing ever came up apart from my blood pressure so eventually I snapped and left and it’s become blatantly clear that they had no intention of finding something ‘better’ as all they’ve done since I left is make people redundant.

I hate to sound mean but if they are just ‘hinting’ it’s usually just bull to keep you around a little longer. How long is a long term plan? 10 years? 20? If they were trying to sort it for you to be a site manager they would probably have sorted the post, offered it to you and you would be in it by now. Find another job then go in the office, ask for a start date for this site manager job then say if you haven’t had it in writing within 4 weeks you are off to the new place.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘So what would you do.. (work related topic)’ is closed to new replies.