Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • So what were the ultimate 26ers then?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

In that case 27.5 must be a backward step, as the question states 26″ version has to be it’s ultimate incarnation…

Objection overruled.

Forget about 650b. Simply asking which frames are/were the ultimate evolution for 26in.

chestrockwell

The Alpine Five may be great in the alps but is possibly too big to be a versatile trail bike.

Nope, it’s great as a trail bike.

Is this thread about the best 26″ bike or the one we remember most fondly? If it’s the best then surely the answer is a bike from a couple of years ago, the best before they stopped making 26″. Fair enough voting for a 2004 Specialized or whatever but if you rode one back to back with something like the Yeti mentioned I expect it wouldn’t be ‘the best’

Could be wrong like.

chakaping
    Free Member

If it’s the best then surely the answer is a bike from a couple of years ago, the best before they stopped making 26″.

That was my intention for the thread TBH.

I can understand that some people might honestly believe a ’97 Kona is the ultimate 26″ bike though. For them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Ragley blue-pig?

so, so, capable up or down anything technical.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

😀 Mk 1 Blue Pig owner, ragged around Calderdale as much as possible.

I think the Mk2 is much faster, but it might also be that nach is just, eeer, faster than me on his. Bum.

nach
    Free Member

While building it I dreaded climbing on 160mm forks, but the Blue Pig has been a great bike so far 😀

I don’t feel qualified to say “ultimate” because I don’t have much to compare it to bar XC bikes I owned before, but it’s done everything from chugging up hills in Calderdale to uplift trails in the Alps. I’m finding I have no urge to trade it up for anything else yet, but this year I’ve found myself eyeing increasingly niche upgrades like Procore and those new Spank bars.

chestrockwell

The mk1 Bluepig was a shocker. My mate had one (after buying in to the hype) and had no end of problems with it as no one seemed to have bothered with quality control. It took so long to get sorted that he ended up with a mk2 replacement that also had qc issues so he eventually got a full refund. With the little time he had to ride it he found it to be a bang average pig iron frame.

BillMC

Maverick Ml7
    Genesis Core 40

I still ride them both.

Mintyjim

Has anyone mentioned the Cannondale Prophet yet?! My vote!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The 2005 enduro beat the pitch to that trick by a good few years.

Yea, but for a good couple of years the Pitch Pro was <£1100 from a lot of shops until it got 10/10 in in an MBR test and they couldn’t get enough of them!

Same test gave the Prophet 10/10 too. IMO the prophet was a much nicer bike too, for some reason I bought a pitch, think it was that Spesh update the spec to Sektors whereas the ‘dale was looking quite long in the tooth.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wouldn’t a more modern 4 bar frame like the transition suppressor be a better choice than the pitch?

I haven’t ridden either, but I know which I’d rather own.

surfdude110

NomadC and Cotic BFe 8)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Hardtail – Stanton Slackline Ti,
    Full sus – no idea, currently stuck wondering what to replace my 2001 Turner RFX with but haven’t found a decent contender yet.

Nobby

Another vote for the ASR5 here, as a trail bike.

It’s older sibling, the ASR-SL is still the quickest, most nimble bike I’ve ridden XC on.

z1ppy

Mintyjim – Member

Has anyone mentioned the Cannondale Prophet yet?! My vote!

Just coming to post the same thing… not without it foibles but a bloody brilliant bike/frame

wicki
    Free Member

I liked my cannondale prophet to until i pointed it up hill bobed like a biatch !

The most fun little bike I owned was a Kona kikapau one size to small fast light and loads of fun.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*regrets selling ASR-SL*

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The 2014 Blue Pig was hands down the most capable and comfortable HT I’ve ever ridden, better than a BFe by a good margin! I’ve not ridden another HT that inspired so much confidence to absolutely rag the arse off it, was better/more fun than my FS bike on all but the rockiest tech, where any HT will shake your fillings loose with the rear getting bucked about all over the shop.

Shame the QC is the worst I’ve ever experienced with multiple inexcusable faults. Design wise I doubt it could be improved much, 853/a bit lighter maybe but minor points really.

jamj1974

Totally biased and probably different opinion to most but… Love my ’95 Cindercone, 2007 S.-Works Enduro and my 2007 (?) Soda. I think all are truly great bikes and truly better than my riding deserves! All were able to evolve in line with my riding and that ability to change but keep the essential core characteristics.

Northwind

chestercopperpot – Member

Shame the QC is the worst I’ve ever experienced with multiple inexcusable faults. Design wise I doubt it could be improved much, 853/a bit lighter maybe but minor points really.

Tried a Ti? Just like a Pig but lighter, wee bit softer, and not put together in the dark. Absolutely love mine (I had 3 Mmmbops before I got one that was built right and even it had bad paint)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee. I miss my Stiffee 🙁

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Northwind

A Ti framed Blue Pig sounds like a best of breed on paper. I wouldn’t be prepared to shoulder the higher cost in combination with the notoriously more difficult Ti welds and a brand that can’t get steel right. Although I accept the two frame types could well be manufactured at different facilities or as you put it, not in the dark!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Same geo and feel without the numerous QC problems, I’m sure they would sell like hot cakes and be judged on what they do best, hmmm 2016 maybe 😆

Northwind

The ti is USA lynskey-made so… well, OK, still probably pretty likely to crack 😆 But still awesome. They’re not usually terribly expensive but pretty hard to find, is the only bummer.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Lynskey yeah got my eye on their frames, my guess they will tumble in price! Am in no rush got a HT (custom build) and FS (generic big box) that I’m mostly happy with bar a few tweaks.

Never ridden a Ti but if the BP is anything to go by, was the most fun bike I’ve ever ridden. Not the best all rounder but definitely the most fun, it begged to be thrashed and snapped!

nach
    Free Member

chestercopperpot – Member

Having bent one, then bent it back, I’d go for beefier dropouts. Being able to do that is why I went for a steel frame in the first place though.

hora
    Free Member

My best 26’ers in order (1st first):

SC Blur 4X
    Commencal AM V4
    SC Butcher (a missed gem by SC)
    SC Chameleon (medium)

dirtyboy

Blur 4x seconded Hora

Mugboo

Nukeproof Mega 2011/2012, I’m very biased and I love mine to bits. I won’t be changing it unless it breaks & it’s better than I am..

chakaping
    Free Member

Blur 4X seems to get a lot of love.

I’m curious what do you think made it so good? Never ridden one myself.

teamslug
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve just built up a Turner Nitrous circa 2006 and it is one of the best bikes I’ve ridden.I now have three MTB’s which I reckon are , apart from a Mk1 SC Superlight, the best I’ve had in 20 odd years and I’ve spent some bloody money!!. All 26″ and all 1 1/8 and I haven’t died yet!!. I must admit to hankering after a new Epic 29er but more than happy to stay ‘retro’ at the mo.

Bruce

Difficult to say what was the ultimate 26 inch frame but the ones I have owned that I liked best were

Very early Kona Hei Hei
    Ti Bontrager
    Litespeed Pisgah
    Turner Flux pre DW link.
    2005 Kona Kula bought as a spare bike but always makes me grin
    Spot single speed

ahwiles
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Blur 4X seems to get a lot of love.

I’m curious what do you think made it so good? Never ridden one myself.

built like a tank, fun handling, short travel.

there aren’t many bikes like that, but it’s a combo that’s got a lot going for it.

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘So what were the ultimate 26ers then?’ is closed to new replies.