Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • "So, what sort of music do you like?"
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Spotify is good for people who like background music. Great for a dinner party I imagine.

Good for lots of things, though that’s definitely one of them. I find it good for new music and for things that are similar. Annoyingly it can’t replace the whirlwind of ploughing through your record collection. I miss that. Might have to get another CD player 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

The same old stuff I always liked and some I didn’t but I’m now nostalgic about. At the grand old age of 47 it is getting harder to find anything new. I used to listen to John Peel for the 5% of what he played that would grab me but now, maybe i have enough already 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

And don’t, for Chris’sakes say Spotify! It’s bloody useless unless you’re sat in an office or at home, mobile is pointless when there’s barely a phone signal available, let alone data.

Several times people have told you this just isn’t true. You can sync spotify music to the device of your choosing. I can listen to stuff with my phone on “airplane” mode. If you’re out of wifi or signal for over something like 10 days or whatever the DRM check period is then you might have a point.

And it doesn’t play stuff that comes as a complete surprise, and you get bloody adverts instead of DJ’s unless you pay, which I not prepared to do for something that’s crap.

Well it kind of does. There’s a weekly playlist of “Discover” tailored to you and then there are artist and song radios that play music like the artist/song you’ve chosen. The amount of music that I’ve discovered through spotify is pretty rad.

mefty
    Free Member

I Like a bit of Canadian Smooth – Michael Buble, Celine Dion

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Might be my age or I’m mental, but I always want to read Pavement as a misspelt Parliament for some bizarre reason and want to type “you spelt it wrong!”. Pavement seem to come up on here a lot in these threads (altho might always be the same big hitters), must try it/them out some time in an effort to appear musically open minded.

spud-face

Agreed with chvck. The number of solo drunken nights I’ve spent reading the comments section on the AV Club’s music reviews and using Spotify to check out the endless amounts of here-today-gone-tomorrow bands those wise folk recommend would be pathetic if it weren’t so rewarding. If only I had time these days…
    And the Discover playlist recently introduced me to Tacocat. They’re smashing

#edit# and I generally say “I used to be massively into punk, and I’ve spiralled all over the place from there.” Feels pretentious being effusive about music, dunno why.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Jangly indie guitar driven music

darrell
    Free Member

Mostly punk

with a side helping of heavy metal

and to be naughty some prog rock and kraut rock

CheesybeanZ

Predominantly rock for the last 40 years , more blues rock as I get older and I have a thing for good female vocals .

Can’t stand punk , biggest marketing joke every played by the music industry .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Anything apart from R&B.

thebees
    Free Member

I like Max Romeos ‘Chase theDevil’ but I don’t like The B52’s ‘Love Shack’. I could go on.
    For me 6 music has a 2 from 10 success rate, with most of it being tuneless pretentious shi te.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

“Anything that’s good” is my stock answer.

martinhutch

Is it just me that hasn’t been asked this question for about a decade?

Got asked it this morning at the barbers. Managed not to mention liking a bit of country now and again.

doris5000

Spotify is good for people who like background music. Great for a dinner party I imagine.

😆

it has almost all the music in the world on it

so yes

pretty good for dinner parties

or working

or smashing out some techno before you go out

or looking up that album you used to love when you were 15

DezB
    Free Member

Anything apart from R&B.

Dismissing a whole genre of music is odd. I even tried to like some jazz after the recent thread. It’s only a certain type of jazz that I can’t stand.
    Plenty of RnB I don’t like, but there’s some that I love.

cubist
    Free Member

I like minimal Techno, makes great background music and its great for dinner parties. There about 700 tracks on the spotify playlist I created for this genre so I reckon you have hit the nail on the head.

As M&S always say this isn’t just any techno this is exquisitively paired back dub techno from Berlin

johnx2
    Free Member

‘whatever I like, from Simon & Garfunkel to the Sex Pistols’ which always seems to be understood.

absolutely: melodic white guy pop hits of the 60s and 70s… 🙂

(another vote here for canadian smooth)

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sad old goth here with a smattering of more recent harder rock. And classical, but not opera.
    Definitely not ‘urban’, manufactured pop, country or western.
    Not really heard any jazz so can’t say one way or another

franki
    Free Member

I used to be massively into thrash / death metal & hardcore in my youth, but gradually made the switch via grunge, indie and ambient to electronic music.

These days 95% of music I listen to is psychedelic trance or techno.

DezB wrote:

“Anything apart from R&B.”

Dismissing a whole genre of music is odd.

Not in this case. 😉

binners

If someone said they

Listen to BBC 6Music

I’d just assume they hate music TBH.

hark at ‘er!

franki
    Free Member

John drummer wrote:

Definitely not ‘urban’, manufactured pop, country or western.

Sums up most of the music I loathe too.

DezB
    Free Member

Not in this case

Hmm, nor in the case of “Ooh-aren’t-I-scary-making-exactly-the-same-sounds-as-100s-of-other-bands” death metal… 😉

johnx2
    Free Member

If someone said they

Listen to BBC 6Music

I’d just assume they hate music TBH.

Not hate, just a bit can’t be arsed/by numbers

slowoldman

I like minimal Techno, makes great background music and its great for dinner parties

One prefers Mozart with dinner.

franki
    Free Member

DezB wrote:

Hmm, nor in the case of “Ooh-aren’t-I-scary-making-exactly-the-same-sounds-as-100s-of-other-bands” death metal…

Ouch – right back atcha! 😆

To be fair, most genres sound all the same if you don’t like them.

binners

Not hate, just a bit can’t be arsed/by numbers

I know what you mean. Its all just, like, sooooooooo lazy, and generic and samey, and just, like… you know…. meh, like… WHATEVS!!

I now have playlists that steam newly released grimcore, mumblepunk, ‘n furball death metal ‘n shit, but once more than ten other people have downloaded the track, it automatically deletes it, as then its just the commercial shit that 6 Music would play

You get me, blood?

franki
    Free Member

I don’t like a lot of what they play on 6 Music, but it’s a hell of a lot better than most of the other daytime stations out there.
    I wish we could have it on at work instead of Radio 2, Absolute Radio, Free Radio or other stations for the brain dead.

DezB
    Free Member

You get me, blood?

I’m afraid I cannot fathom a word you just typed, old chap.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m pretty one dimensional I guess – metal / grunge / punk type stuff really although I listen to stuff like Rival Sons and Temperance Movement a lot these days.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Anything that isn’t shit. (**** Buttons to Ella Fitzgerald, via Mudvayne)

I listen to 6m as its best available ‘station’ for the office.

I use the playlister tool and have discovered some really good stuff that way.

franki
    Free Member

I do have an odd range of tastes –

I also like The Divine Comedy, Elbow, Shooglenifty and loads of other bands to balance out the crazy stuff.
    (But mainly psytrance & techno. 😈 )

doris5000

My kitchen radio is tuned to 6 Music, but even then it only really gets used for Gideon Coe, Huey, Iggy Pop, the Freak Zone and Tom Ravenscroft.

S’funny that someone here mentioned Marc Riley as being ‘varied’ – I see it as probably the least varied show on the station (with possible exception of Nemone). Takes all sorts, eh?

nerd
    Free Member

I always say I like unpopular music. Sums it up, really, and makes me sound like a pretentious bumface at the same time.

DezB
    Free Member

I say, each of you that has cared enough to post on this thread should go add one tune to the Tune Association thread. And get it over the 14,000 posts mark 😀

noltae
    Free Member

I listen to mixclould alot of late – I enjoy the music of people that I know in person – perhaps it’s that via over saturation and exposure to too mucb choice there is something for me that resonates from the more intimate relationship of knowing more about the artist – Pehaps this says something about my ambivalence to new music – not because intrinsically it isn’t any good but more that after a lifetime of music consumption I’m exploring music in a different context – I recorded my friend playing his guitar on my phone – That was enjoyable .. I’m seeing notions of genre less as creative codes and convention and more marketing strategies ..

nickc

haha Bumface…haven’t heard that since primary 😆

plumber
    Free Member

I always say ’80s girly American rock but whatever you’re thinking right now its not that’

I have yet to find anyone who asked that question that has heard of any of the bands I love

Pretentious? Moi?

franki
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s necessarily anything pretentious about liking music not many people know about. I was just trying to explain why I think this, but had to give up as I couldn’t find a way without sounding pretentious, LOL!

kiwijohn

I’m just listening to the J files on double J. Tonight it’s the Pixies. “Where is my mind” just gave me goosebumps.

franki
    Free Member

Never heard of Double J – just had a look and it looks like a winner – thanks!
    (I quite like the Pixies. The new Dinosaur Junior album sounds good too.)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘"So, what sort of music do you like?"’ is closed to new replies.