Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • So, what ride-on lawn mower then?
  • bol

I’ve just had an offer accepted on a house with a fairly big lawn. Not gigantic, but big enough that I can see it eating into riding time unless I can mow it quickly.

I took a trip to eBay to look for a ride-on mower. There seems to be tonnes of choice, and lots of junk, but I haven’t been able to work out what would be best. I don’t want to spend a fortune either. Under a grand ideally. Would be a bonus if it collects the grass.

Any suggestions?

johndoh
    Free Member

Get your butler to do it?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d go 2nd hand Kubota – *much* better than anything that you can buy new for the same money.

Husqvana are apparently also good.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Fired up mine for the first time this year! Butler refuses to use it though 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Nonda and Countax seem to be the main ones for tractors, Husqvarna for the riders. I ended up with the latter and it’s been really good. B&S engine plus lots of generic bits so spares should be OK when I need them. I didn’t bother with the hydrostatic transmission and haven’t regretted it.

I’m sure as with lots of s/h garden machinery, there’s a lot of crap for sale so caveat emptor and all that.

<edit>. As above, Kubota is a good call but might be out of your price range. The local authorities use them and they do diesel/multi cyclinder etc but £££’s unless very long in the tooth. John Deere might also be worth a look but the low end stuff is just branded generic with a JD £ premium .

scandywag
    Free Member

+1 for Husqvarna or Kubota, can’t go far wrong with either.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d go for a 2nd hand Kubota – *much* better than anything that you can buy new for the same money.

I have heard that Husqvana are also good.

bol

Thanks guys. Just been round to have a look with a mate who has persuaded me to MTFU and get a regular lawnmower. Apparently it isn’t that big after all. Coming from somewhere with no grass at all, I may have lost a little perspective.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t be a big blouse, get a scythe.

parkesie
    Free Member

Bike with a mower attachment

mudshark
    Free Member

How big is the plot roughly?

spooky_b329

Or realistically, just get a mower with powered wheels. I inherited a flymo and doing my sloping front lawn (8×12 metres/100sq metres) gives me back ache by the time I’ve done half.

bol

mudshark – Member
    How big is the plot roughly?

At a guess its about 6-700 square metres

drlex
    Free Member

At a guess its about 6-700 square metres

Regular mower will be fine; get a Honda.

mugsys_m8

Self propelled normal mixer will be fine normally for such size. Get à mulching one so you don’t have to stop to empty the bag and get one with à wide blade and big engine. Think 6hp about 190cc and 53cm blade. Chasis in aluminium or plastic . We have this but in steel and have about twice as much. Am After à tractor though.

jekkyl

Hey everyone come & look at me & my wealth. I think you’ll find that I am considerably richer than yow.

bol

jekkyl – Member
    Hey everyone come & look at me & my wealth. I think you’ll find that I am considerably richer than yow.

Eh? Blimey.

boblo
    Free Member

Hey everyone, come and look, there’s a peon… Dint realise they let poor people and/or cretins in here 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

A good self propelled will do it in no time

You need to keep on top of it though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just done ours (Countax and about 1100m2). Took about 35 mins – when I tried to do it with a self propelled it took about 2 hours and that all adds up.
    The big advantage a ride on has is that the grass collector is probably 2 or three times the size of that on a ride on and that means a lot less time is spent carting grass cuttings to [wherever you put them].
    I’ve now got time to take the dog out for a ride.
    600m2 though? Normal mower without doubt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just cut all ours with a suffolk punch . Must be 4-500m square of grass since its a 1200m plot and the gardens bigger than house.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Dig it all up and grow tasty things instead, or have a meadow!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

The other thing to remember is that unless the garden was designed with a ride on in mind youll have to do the edges with a normal mower and strimmer anyway

bruk

Inherited a Lawnflite 603 with the house. It doesn’t do a very neat job so tend just to use it for the paddock and use the normal one for the lawn.

Don’t know how good a condition it’s blade is but the rest of it looks good and it starts 1st time usually. My wife’s parents got rid of their ride on as it didn’t do that great a job either. Guess it depends on how much a nice looking lawn matters.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’ve been given a loan of a mower whilst I save up for one for the new house…
    Does the job nicely! 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Bloody hell, you’ll be saving for some time if you do for one of those again.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘So, what ride-on lawn mower then?’ is closed to new replies.