• This topic has 63 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wynne.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • So what now then? Hung parliament.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

What happens now? Surely nobodies gonna get in bed with the blues and form another coalition. Are we all doomed?

kerley
    Free Member

Less doomed than we were yesterday.

rOcKeTdOg

They’ll get into bed if parliament is well hung

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chilled76
    Free Member

Will be interesting. I’m hoping for a Labour snp lib dems progressive coalition… probably wishful thinking though. Would be ace to see our Jez at the helm!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

one hopes she wont be hanging in there.. Shortest stint by a pm possibly

piemonster

Hard to see weak and wobbly retaining her job with this display of blundering arrogant incompetence

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If the conservatives can squeak over the line with 316 seats, which looks possible, then a coalition with the DUP is just enough to run a government.

Labour cannot realistically form a coalition, they’d need every other party to back them.

Ironically, a situation in which FPTP has arguably given us a weaker government than a PR system would have done!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TM has option to form a government unless she is knifed, tories have a crack and see if they can pass a bill/queens speech.
    That fails Labour has a go.
    All that fails unpack the posters

seosamh77
    Free Member

pleaderwilliams – Member
    If the conservatives can squeak over the line with 316 seats, which looks possible, then a coalition with the DUP is just enough to run a government.

312, we’re passed it. 🙁

bails

Tories are on 314 with 3 very blue Cornish constituencies left to declare, so will that be a con/DUP coalition (of chaos?)?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Boris Johnson!

bails

F#@* off!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Hahaha! Wouldn’t bet against it happening!!

zippykona

How do the DUP feel about brexit?

seosamh77
    Free Member

pro brexit, pro insularism, to extreme levels..

zippykona

Oh .

theotherjonv

on any normal day a hung parliament with deals having to be done to run the country and votes passed would be a bad thing. Another election (which costs??) before the year is out.

But when the alternative was a 100-150 75-100 50-75 overwhelming mandate for May and her henchmen to do what the hell they wanted – I’m pretty bloody pleased TBH.

I did say a few weeks back that the UKIP vote would collapse and that I wasn’t sure the traditional working class ‘white van man’ UKIP’er would be able to hold his nose long enough to vote Tory….

At least next time round we might get an election fought on manifestos and policies rather than the personality (or otherwise) and dragging up of pictures from 30 years ago. I’ll pay my share of the £10 million or whatever it is if that’s the case.

And to the young people who it seems have finally been energised to get out and vote after the Brexit shock. Good on you, it does make a difference. But it doesn’t end here….. stay interested and stay involved, it’s your future that’s at stake, not your Grandparents’.

MoreCashThanDash

Hung Parliament….do we get any say in the order of the hangings?

bails

I did say a few weeks back that the UKIP vote would collapse and that I wasn’t sure the traditional working class ‘white van man’ UKIP’er would be able to hold his nose long enough to vote Tory….

Labour won in Dudley North by 22 seats over the Tories. But over 2,000 people still voted for UKIP 😕 Mind you, the same happened in Richmond, a 40 vote win for Zac ‘Sadiq Khan’s a terrorist‘ Goldsmith over the Lib Dems, but Labour still got a few thousand votes where they had no chance of winning.

mrmo
    Free Member

pro brexit, pro insularism, to extreme levels..

That’ll go down really well with Sinn Féin….

Just a reminder the nutters are still about,

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-ira-bomb-plot-foiled-after-6kg-of-semtex-is-seized-in-city-35783978.html

cookeaa

It’s not all bad, Nige says he might have to come back to keep Brexit on course apparently… Yay!

wordnumb
    Free Member

What we want is a referendum to decide whether to have another election because this one didn’t work properly.

mrmo
    Free Member

What we want is a referendum to decide whether to have another election because this one didn’t work properly.

IMO there will be another general election in the near future, I can’t see this parliament lasting 1 year let alone 5.

scaredypants

the same happened in Richmond, a 40 vote win for Zac ‘Sadiq Khan’s a terrorist’ Goldsmith over the Lib Dems, but Labour still got a few thousand votes where they had no chance of winning

and those few thousand presumably are kickng themselves today. Some people don’t seem to get it – at all

willard

Well, all I can say is hooray for fixed term parliaments. The good thing about having them enshrined in law is that you can’t call an election on a whim, makes sense to me.

shermer75
    Free Member

Minority government, with DUP giving the Tories enough votes to pass laws. Possibly another election (!) within the year

bails

and those few thousand presumably are kickng themselves today. Some people don’t seem to get it – at all

Looks like the tories would have been able to get a majority with the DUP without that seat, so it may not matter. And if every UKIP vote had gone to the Tories it would be very different.

miketually
    Free Member

I was stood within a few feet of our particularly horrific Tory candidate when he realised that he wasn’t going to take the Labour seat. Made my night.

Our (local Green Party) candidate nomination, under the short emergency selection rules, is valid until the end of the year. I think we’ve already decided to reselect under the normal rules, in case there’s another election soon.

wynne
    Free Member

Whatever happens next I wake up this morning with a huge sense of relief. I’m probably going to look like a naive fool in a few months but this does seem like the most astonishing from-near-death-comeback for integrity and a humane approach to politics. Well done JC, Diane Abbott et al for weathering the absolutely debilitating sh**storm of hatred to stick by your beliefs and retain enough self confidence to make this happen.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m not sure Diane Abbott deserves a ‘well done’ she was lazy, complacent and failed to prepare properly for prime-time media interviews. she was an embarrassment to the party. Corbyn needs to do the right thing and replace her permanently.

footflaps

Another election (which costs??) before the year is out.

In the noise compared to the 10s of Billions Brexit will cost the UK.

luket

Freudian slip from Andrew Neil just now: “she doesn’t have a mandate for Breakfast”…

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not sure Diane Abbott deserves a ‘well done’ she was lazy, complacent and failed to prepare properly for prime-time media interviews. she was an embarrassment to the party. Corbyn needs to do the right thing and replace her permanently.

With her 35000 majority, Cambridge degree and being the first black female MP.

You need to read this.

wynne
    Free Member

Exactly miketually. If anyone has ever suffered stress or anxiety then they would sympathise with DA. I can’t pretend I was always her greatest fan but the more I learn about her the greater my respect for her becomes.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Miketually,
    I know all of that but it doesn’t stop DA coming over as patronising, smug and complacent.
    Before I get accused of being one of the swivel eye loons I voted labour.

ransos
    Free Member

I found the Jack Monroe article persuasive: I can’t warm to Abbott on a personal level but there’s little doubt that she’s a achieved a great deal in her life, in the face of unremitting hostility.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Agreed, there are some people who face so much shit on a daily basis that I can’t help but support them even though I don’t actually agree with them in detail. Applies also to some colleagues/acquaintances in my area of work which has a bit of a public profile. She is a bit crap though!

edlong
    Free Member

Been announced that a deal has been done with the DUP. Not surprising really.

kerley
    Free Member

She is a bit crap though!

Do you think she has been crap over the last 40 years or just recently?

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve never been hugely impressed but she does seem to have got rather worse recently. Whether that’s temporary illness/stress or just being out of depth in a challenging role…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘So what now then? Hung parliament.’ is closed to new replies.