• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by doh.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • So what now for the big name light producers?
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

DX lights are dead easy to strip and rebuild.

pypdjl
    Free Member

At what distance? Are you racing downhill or something?

Haha, no far from it! As I said it is great for the money, just not as good as some of the more expensive lights.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow its like on-one syndrome all over again – same folk same arguements

Stoner
    Free Member

one thing about trouts light is the relative simplicity of dealing with any problems yourself if you built it from kit in the first place.

LEDs, drivers, switches, lens can all be sourced from the same place that Trout got them in the first place making effective DIY repairs a reality.

dogmatix

Ahem… to answer the question head on (anal I know ;)) I rekon they big manufacturers are going to have to gap some of the distance.
    (long story begins)
    Last year I moved to dorking (from london) so for first time had real opportunity to night ride but let that winter go as really couldnt see myself splashing the £250 I'd need for a decent ride (had a little'un on the way) come this year similar dilema but just thought after a summer of mid week rides i just cant bring myslef to only ride at weekends. So thought bugger it bite the bullet. So looked around and was thinking I could just enter the market with £80 and buy a hope 1, would probably be weak but im sure it would just about get me around. Then thought well maybe I could just stretch to £160 and get a hope 2 or joystick. I seemed from reading they would still only really do half the job. Then I thought, I know, those clever chaps on singletrack world would know a thing or two about lights (I'm normally on dh forums)and up pops the DX. Christ I thought is that for real, is it some dodgy forum spaming from a company. But no, it is for real. something almost like a high end light for the price of a commuter light. Firstly, thanks singltrack peeps for putting me on to this, second, once the word spreads from forum to forum everyone will be getting them. In fact I think this is happening now.

Now if there was a hope or something for a £100 my patriotism and need for better service would see me buy british or at least a bigger brand. But when the difference is something like £150… well the choice is simply made for me. So how can the market not be changed by the DX. I rekon it could even go as far as to change the political system 😉

anyone awake… now im on your forum youd better get used to long (dyslexic) posts, I'm an XC'r now the winters here and for some reason the DH guys were getting bored of me. go figure…

Jamie
    Free Member

Whut?!? What happened?!?! Where am I??!!

The last thing i remember was starting to read dogmatix's post, and the next thing i was picking myself up off the floor…..

😉

grantway
    Free Member

Seen this thread on here cant link but This DX light is crap by Mugboo

Dont know much about these anyone one got a link on these and the P7 light

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Here's a new one from a big name producer….HID & LED, and only £975!

http://www.amba-marketing.com/products/921-2010_supernova_x7_ultimate_lightset.php?r=3m7b26s0

It's a no-brainer

CountZero

£975! You could buy a car for that!

Northwind

I think this month's MBR review shows that the big manufacturers don't have that much to fear, since they only reviewed a low performing, expensive Fenix instead of a DX bike light or P7 torch. Likewise WMB, which didn't review a single torch or the DX light. And MBUK did review the DX light, but under a different brand and for 3 times the normal cost.

Like it or not, most riders aren't reading STW, they're reading the big name mags and saying "Oh, MBR says Ayups are really good, I'll get them".

pypdjl: "I think people are getting a bit carried away with the DX light, very good for 50 quid as it is, it's still nowhere near as good as any of the proper top end bike lights."

2 DX lights outperforms a Seca 900, which is one of the better and more expensive lights out there. Lacks the extreme range, but better fill, which is more useful unless you're seriously shifting. And still costs about 1/4 as much. Game Dealextreme tbh- and yes, I've tried both, and a Hope 4. And of course, 2 lights gives better allround results (helmet and bars), and gives you a backup.

I wouldn't trade either for my 2 torches. Or maybe I would, in order to sell the expensive light and buy more torches, and spend the rest on hookers and blackjack.

grantway
    Free Member

Gary where abouts did you purchase the P7 and where did you
    buy the Tourch mounts please

superdan

I think that what will really scare the big light manufacturers is when one of the distributors gets on to DX and gets in a container of these DX lights, and starts punting them in normal bike shops side by side with the other offerings, ready to go with a UK pluggable charger and that-day collection, for say 80 quid.

I would pay that.

grantway
    Free Member

Na just supply an adapter £ 60 notes and im Happy 😉

poppa
    Free Member

FYI MBUK reviewed the DX light set in this months issue. It was being sold through a UK distributor under a different name, presumably with decent UK service, for £150. MBUK did mention that you can buy them 'direct from the far-east' for £50.

They also measured the light output at the centre of the spot – probably not a completely comprehensive test as it ignores beam variation etc. Even so, you had to spend a lot more than £50 to get the same output as the DX.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The argument about beam spread etc is fairly irrelevant to a lot of people I'd have thought? As someone who was riding with a £3 ebay LED torch cable tied to their helmet and was really enjoying riding in near total darkness, the DX that just arrived seems complete over-kill. The suggestion that I might prefer to spend another £150 for a better spread of this lights seems a bit ridiculous. If it breaks, then I've still got that £3 torch in the bag and when I've bought another I'll have two battery packs. Judging by some of the warrantyisbest posts above, by the time it comes to SITS next year, I'll have enough batteries to last the whole night. Perfect.

Aren't moon-lit rides the way forward though really?

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends if you riding in a wood/forest i guess.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Let me guess…..you're a SSer? :mrgreen:

mudplugga
    Free Member

lol @ oo00oo!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

is the MBUK review online at bikeradar yet? i'd be interested to read it if anyone can remember the name or anything. Otherwise i'll have to go all the way to WHSmiths at lunchtime and read it in there..

nickc

As someone who was riding with a £3 ebay LED torch cable tied to their helmet and was really enjoying riding in near total darkness

People want different things from the night riding experience, shocker…

My night riding is done more or less totally in woodland, unless it's a totally clear night, there's more or less no ambient light at all, Unless one's idea of fun is cycling down singletrack at a couple of miles an hour seeing barely a couple of metres in front, then a decent light is as important as having working brakes or a helmet. A couple of years back that meant HID, now there's more choice, this is a good thing TBH

epicyclo

There's nothing wrong with the DX performance. I bought one to check it out.

It lights up everything nicely, and if I didn't have a set of AyUps I'd be happy with it. I prefer the AyUps because of their versatility and choice of beam patterns.

We'll be checking the reliability of the DX in the 'Puffer (my son will use it) – hopefully it will not provide the instant blackness experience a name brand light gave me last year – which is why I now use AyUps.

(For those who don't know, the guys behind AyUp actually race endurance events which is why their lights are so sorted.)

grantway
    Free Member

Whats this P7 touch that some of you have?

Northwind

"is the MBUK review online at bikeradar yet? i'd be interested to read it if anyone can remember the name or anything. Otherwise i'll have to go all the way to WHSmiths at lunchtime and read it in there.."

The company name is Leddite I think. But you'd have to be mental frankly. They give it 10/10 for value, despute the 300% markup over the DX price, which gets you nothing but a UK charger and an easier warranty service. A UK adaptor for the DX charger costs 50p!

doh
    Free Member

there always will be people banging on about the quality/ light colour/ service/ there is too much light i prefer to spend a lot and ride in the dark etc but i think the big names are falling behind.

my dx on low has "about" the same output and spread as my medium beam ayups, on full i may as well turn off the ayups for the difference it makes. not the same quality especially the battery but for 1/3rd the price of the previous cheapest/best i would be gutted to have bought anything else this year.

time will tell what is the better option but i will need to get 3yrs out of the ayups and 1 out of the dx for the cost to be the same.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I bought my DX light from a supplier here in Aus for $110 just a couple of months ago. Just checked their website again, and they've increased the price to $160 😯

doh
    Free Member

arse,
    they must be reading this and have realised they can charge more and people will still be happy with them.

crafty little fellows, just as well i already have a set 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘So what now for the big name light producers?’ is closed to new replies.