Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • So what makes Christmas, Christmas?
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I think when bond is on the tellybox and youre too full to move, chocolates floating around the room, you know you shouldn’t but you do “because its Christmas” and a nice glass of whiskey/bourbon in your hand that to me is the ultimate, at this point i wish i could add a log burner but i cant be arsed lining my chimney so my gas fire will have to do ; ), unlike a lot of you stw users who all seem to have one !!!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Nativity.
    The Church.
    Carol singing.

yossarian
    Free Member

Santa emptying his sack at the end of your bed.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Jesus, what have i started ; / and the jesus pun…. Ahhhhh i give up lol.

druidh
    Free Member

The feeling that “thank **** it’s over for another year”

mightymule
    Free Member

That feeling when you’ve got someone a brilliant gift and you are really excited about seeing their face when they open it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

^^^ wot he said.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

+1 to mightymule

Flaperon

Working on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Bah humbug etc.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Getting a celebration box as a present so you can eat it for meals til xmas dinner at about 6pm.
    Shloer to drink with your xmas meal.
    Chocolate money.
    Getting a whole new outfit to wear on the day.
    Going outside in ridiculous weather just to muck about with new toys.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Brilliant, love the chocolate box, and the abusive grandparents sat in the corner giving u shit because your £30 pudding isnt as good as their day!!!!

Bregante

Turkey and stuffing sandwiches less than two hours after announcing you couldn’t eat another mouthful.

Followed by falling asleep two minutes into the only half decent thing to be on telly all Christmas.

andyruss
    Free Member

For me Christmas eve with my wife and kids. Best night of the year

Edukator
    Free Member

Snow.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Crushing disappointment.

edhornby

not in work, excited kids, food, boozing, the build-up

Christmas Eve and a few shandies with mates…

Christmas Day – getting up early with excited daughter (and equally excited wife), brass band, mulled wine, pub, dinner, Christmas films…

Boxing Day – usually extended family, but this year, just wife, daughter and maybe friends – bliss…

The whole thing – relaxation, family time, tradition and merriment – I bloody love it!

mikey74
    Free Member

Turkey and stuffing sandwiches less than two hours after announcing you couldn’t eat another mouthful.

Followed by falling asleep two minutes into the only half decent thing to be on telly all Christmas.

Hit the nail on the head there.

fasthaggis

Like the Artist, I bloody love it.I can’t believe how lucky I am. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Hanging out with the family with f-all to do except watch films and eat goodies. Magic.

tyger
    Free Member

Christmas mass at my local cathedral – reminds me why we have Christmas.

tyger
    Free Member

Christmas mass at my local cathedral – reminds me why we have Christmas.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s not why we have Christmas. The more you look at it, the more you realise it’s just the Pagan midwinter festival with a pretty thin layer of Christianity on the top 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

pigs in blankets……

mikey74
    Free Member

Quality street/Roses etc, mini sausage rolls, cheesecake, talking random crap with the family: we are normally a fairly reserved bunch, so it’s cool to see everyone relax and open up a bit after some champers.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Agree with many of the above and would add turning up to midnight mass at midnight and a little tipsy, for about five years on the trot, before realising midnight mass doesn’t start at midnight it starts at some earlier time in the evening.

tyger
    Free Member

molegrips – no hope then

stumpyjon

Cheese

maccruiskeen

Getting a whole new outfit to wear on the day.

wearing all the items of clothing that you’ve unwrapped together even if they doesn’t strictly add up to an ‘outfit’

GrahamS

wearing all the items of clothing that you’ve unwrapped together even if they doesn’t strictly add up to an ‘outfit’

Five pairs of boxer shorts and a comedy tie?

jota180
    Free Member

Christmas is truly here when the local news reports a burglary that has left a family presentless and looking suitably glum, to be followed a week later with the tale and pictures of a local retail establishment giving them the ‘best Christmas they’ve ever had’

RustySpanner

samuri
    Free Member

Pigs in blankets for sure.

And sprouts, I do like sprouts.

The rest is just an agonising orgy of consumerism mixed in with a rancid pretence of family values as a collection of repugnant, snot-nosed children who you are barely related to, stick their hand out and expect something worth 30 quid from you instead of the scarf you knitted for them.

yunki
    Free Member

Well it used to be waking up to the sight of a full stocking at the end of the bed..

Then it was going round to my Nan’s house where my Auntie Jenny would ply all the kids with Babycham (‘course it’s for kids, the clue’s in the name aha ha ha ah ha) and then getting them to dance a Jive competition before the turkey and tha’

When the traditional gathering shifted to my Auntie Kathleen’s house, it wasn’t really Xmas til me and my little brother had snuck off after dinner down to the 24 hour hour international deli to buy a litre of Mescal..

Now I suppose it’s the kids waking up, and us all giving and receiving gifts together as a family.. and being surprised by how happy and contented it all makes us..

votchy
    Free Member

As said above, I just enjoy the whole shebang, everything from the hustle and bustle of shopping when the shops are heaving (noticeably quieter this year where I’ve been), the anticipation, putting the decorations and lights up, cheesey songs, family time, classic British comedy and old films, the over indulgence with food and drink and knickers to those that don’t/won’t enjoy it 😀

whattyre
    Free Member

I’m off to a Muslim country so it may be a bit different this year……and sunny!

rkk01
    Free Member

Nativity. No
    The Church. No
    Carol singing.. And No

Daughter’s primary school tried all that sh!t for their Xmas show. Utterly flipping unacceptable. LIVID

rkk01
    Free Member

To answer the OP…

Kids,

Nice walk after the meal

Oh

And
    BURNING A FAGGOT ON CHRISTMAS EVE!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘So what makes Christmas, Christmas?’ is closed to new replies.