Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • So what happens now…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

my bike, I love it, I can't think of a thing to change on it…

Orange SubZero Frame
    Marzocchi 66 SL1ATA
    Thomson Stem & Seatpost
    Easton EA70 bars
    Orange Strange grips
    Formula Oro brakes
    SRAM x9 shifters & rear mech, chain and PG990 cassette
    SDG Bel Air TiFly Saddle
    Hope Pro 2 hubs, DT Swiss spokes and Mavic 823 rims
    Maxxis High Roller LUST
    Raceface BB, Evolve DH cranks, 2 ring & bash guard
    WTB headset
    Outland Skinny Flat Pedals

before you say, nothing, just get out and ride it, I do and its great…

…I just have this urge, any suggestions?

Vortexracing

buy another bike, simples 8)

apparantly you can't have too many

MrSmith
    Free Member

tubeless

MrNutt
    Free Member

done, see above ^ Mavic 823's & High Roller LUST's

si-wilson
    Free Member

As mrsmith says tubeless is a good idea. Maybe sell your Hope/823 combo and buy Hope/Flow and run with yellow tape, saves you some weight to which is nice 🙂

EDIT: ignore that then!

si-wilson
    Free Member

How about some really pimp pedals?

krag
    Free Member

Vortex+1: buy another bike, works for me 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

New 2011 fox 36 floats. Can not believe how good they are.

Wider bars, don't knck it untill you have tried it, especially if your a wide bloke.

1x 10 spd

Lighter cranks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

you've got about seven in various states of disrepair spanning two two countries Krag! 😀

Perhaps I should just build up one of yours 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can't think of a thing to change on it…

The rider.

Case dismissed!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Si do you think they'd be better than these?

they seem to do the job, pretty well?

si-wilson
    Free Member

I think so, but i am biased 😉 The Canfield's feel weird in that they don't have a dead spot at the top or bottom of the stroke like most other flat pedals. This is due to the fact that your foot is more or less over the axle.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ian, my bars are 680 and I don't think any wider would be good for me, they feel spot on. I'm not a fan of spuds and Si I get the no dead spot thing with the Outlands, that said if you've got a demo pair kicking about? 😉

hmmm lighter cranks? what's light & strong?

Twin
    Free Member

Spokey dokeys?

GW
    Free Member

personally I'd change almost everything.

Orange SubZero Frame – to something lighter and stronger with better geometry and a quiet downtube.
    Marzocchi 66 SL1ATA – to something lighter and coil sprung with 100mm travel and tool free 20mm axle.
    Thomson Stem & Seatpost – keep the seatpost but probably changew the stem for a shorter one
    Easton EA70 bars – keep as long as they aren't OS
    Orange Strange grips – change to ruffians
    Formula Oro brakes – change to Avid/shimano, all the formulas I see are very unreliable
    SRAM x9 shifters & rear mech, chain and PG990 cassette – keep
    SDG Bel Air TiFly Saddle – change for something cromo railed (all Ti rails snap too easily)
    Hope Pro 2 hubs, DT Swiss spokes and Mavic 823 rims – change rims to 721s, tubeless jusrt doesn't work for hard riding and unless you ride Fort William/Dunkeld the 823s are total overkill on any hardtail
    Maxxis High Roller LUST – switch to 60a 2.35 minion singleply's
    Raceface BB, Evolve DH cranks, 2 ring & bash guard – change to saint, far more reliable.
    WTB headset – probably switch to an FSA
    Outland Skinny Flat Pedals – switch to supserstar nano's (even if the axles are a little weak) your outlands have badly positioned bolts for pins, they need one by the outside edge, I prefer grubscrews too.

MrNutt
    Free Member

no need, Hope Pro 2 😉

thv3
    Free Member

Nice build.

Only thing I would want to change is the forks for something else.

I went from the 66's to a set of 36 vans and love them.

MrNutt
    Free Member

GW, interesting…

Subzero seems bulletproof and the geometry's spot on, if I wind the 66's down to 140 that tightens up the head angle and its perfect for twitchy singletrack, the stem is 50mm, would you suggest direct mount? that would ride awful! why coils over air? the 66's can be tuned perfectly. Yep the EA70's are OS, whys that a bad thing? the 823's are again bulletproof with no rear suspension it makes sense to have wide strong rims with big tyres no? and how you can say tubless doesn't work for hard riding I'll never know! maybe on to something with changing the raceface stuff though, as for the outlands I've not had a problem loosing my feet, I wear DC's that have a sole similar to 5:10's and the pins seem to grip fine.

so maybe I'll address the BB and related gubbins, ah ha! a plan emerges! tidy darts! 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

are the 36 vans lighter? I seem to remember early reviews of the subzero with fox's being slated? that said I rode a Merida 150 with van's on and found them to be pretty good

mogrim

Nice bike, only thing that springs to mind are different tyres, High Rollers are really draggy for the grip they give. IMO, obviously.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Having seen the way you mince about, I don't know why you lug that ridiculous machine around. You don't do big jumps or owt gnarly, so why not just ditch it and get something lighter, that you might actually be able to ride? 😯

GW
    Free Member

GW, interesting…

Subzero seems bulletproof and the geometry's spot on. Nope! it has a ropey high BB.

if I wind the 66's down to 140 that tightens up the head angle and its perfect for twitchy singletrack.

But it would handle nicer in twichy singletrack with less travel. 140mm on the front of a hardtail is fine for no brain blatting through straightish rough sections but other than that less travel feels way nicer to me.

the stem is 50mm, would you suggest direct mount? that would ride awful!

Don't think ypou understand the term "direct mount" google it! I run a 40mm stem on my hardtail

why coils over air? the 66's can be tuned perfectly.

Air sprung is simply not comparible to coil (or as reliable)

Yep the EA70's are OS, whys that a bad thing?

I hate OS, there's no need unless you are running 750+ bars plus they are heavier and look shit!

the 823's are again bulletproof with no rear suspension it makes sense to have wide strong rims with big tyres no?

not really! like I said, they are overkill, 721s are strong enough and wide enough for any hardtail hero!

and how you can say tubless doesn't work for hard riding I'll never know!

Plain and simple, It doesn't! a tyre burping air is really not what you want hitting any corner flat out and it happens too frequently running sensible pressures (higher than needed with tubes).

as for the outlands I've not had a problem loosing my feet, I wear DC's that have a sole similar to 5:10's and the pins seem to grip fine.

Maybe, but for me, I hate 5:10 levels of foot grip and mainly use Etnies (occasionally Vans) and without a pin where I describe you have to jam your foot between the crank and pedal to stop it sliding off the edge of a pedal in rough loose drifty terrain.

so maybe I'll address the BB and related gubbins, ah ha! a plan emerges! tidy darts!

if you are happy with it, leave it alone!

MrNutt
    Free Member

GW have you ever ridden with tubeless tyres? I've not once had that problem and I always run at 38psi max.

68 bars, 50mm stem, the slack head angle and the 180 forks make its handling spot on when downhill and when the forks are wound down it quickens everything up, seems spot on to me, what height are you, if your about 5ft 11in you'd be welcome to have a blast down some rough stuff on it then make up your mind 🙂

as for the 721s v's the 823's, there would be zero point in changing, they are pretty similar TBH

tubeless just works, no punctures etc in well over a year I couldn't see any benefit in going back to tubes, nor would I 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

As it happesn i will have a couple of sets of Pedals for sale that have been to magazines recently 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmmmminteresting 😉

benji_allen
    Free Member

Custom respray?

Kevevs
    Free Member

have a wan k over it. urrrghh… my bike.. urghh… is so… urgh… sexy..

locomotive

Everything I love about STW in one thread.

Excellent work.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Makes a mental note to avoid borrowing gloves from Kevevs 😀

krag
    Free Member

tubeless just works, no punctures etc in well over a year I couldn't see any benefit in going back to tubes, nor would I

Not strictly true, the one time I borrowed your bike (and the only time I've ridden tubeless) it burped and I had to faff around with tyre jizz!

<insert jokes about too many welsh cakes here>

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol! I too have shecksy bike. (rubs thighs)

stevomcd
    Free Member

I always run at 38psi max

38psi is really high though.

I run at more like 25psi.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ah! I forgot about the welsh jizz debacle! It's true! Cakes n all 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

I dunno what you are on about, but I like cakes. And I like Wales sometimes.

rapidDave
    Free Member

Mr Nut, your not oversprung enough.. id suggest some of them fancy Manitou Dorado MRD TPC forks up front

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hmm are they available as a 29er option? 😀

GW
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    GW have you ever ridden with tubeless tyres? I've not once had that problem and I always run at 38psi max.

Yes, first tried them around 10 years ago (michi Comp 16/24) couldn't get them not to burp under 30psi under normal DH cornering, have tried again a few times since with no luck, currently have an 823 with minion front that can hack my now much more conservative style DH at around 32psi but still burps if I take it anywhere rocky 🙁

68 bars, 50mm stem, the slack head angle and the 180 forks make its handling spot on when downhill and when the forks are wound down it quickens everything up, seems spot on to me, what height are you, if your about 5ft 11in you'd be welcome to have a blast down some rough stuff on it then make up your mind

I am 5'11" and have ridden plenty similar bikes and am not a fan

as for the 721s v's the 823's, there would be zero point in changing, they are pretty similar TBH

No they aren't. your 823s are almost 150g heavier and slightly wider (I prefer the tyre profile a 721 gives). and most UST tyres are what? 100g heavier? LUST are fragile.

tubeless just works, no punctures etc in well over a year I couldn't see any benefit in going back to tubes, nor would I

good for you, but it absolutely doesn't work for me.

tubeless only works for mincing! and 823s are way overkill for mincing.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I must be mincing then, it's the only plausible explanation 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Nutt, you might as well sell that stupid bike, buy a hybrid and wear a dress really. And just pootle around Swindon Docks, picking up sailors who you'd then charge for letting them do unmentionable things to you in the Woods Behind Nationwide.

It's all you're good for.

MrNutt
    Free Member

The green-eyed monster is a terrible mistress elfin, still you make a lovely couple and it's good she gives you special rates what with you being first cousins n' all 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘So what happens now…’ is closed to new replies.