Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • so what happened with STW vs. the hackers of the old site
  • darrell
    Free Member

have i missed anything whilst hibernating through the winter over here in Norway

wwaswas

I think it’s a legal matter now, so this thread won’t last

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

… and we don’t want to attract them back either

aracer
    Free Member

The first rule of fight club…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

have i missed anything whilst hibernating

no

nickc

Their site was pulled, I understand STW are pursuing a case against the hacker

jimthesaint

The hackers took over stw and have been impersonating the staff. Mark and Chipps are really tied up with ball gags in their mouths locked away in the loft at stw towers.

nickc

I think it’s a legal matter now, so this thread won’t last

You can talk about stuff that’s going/gone to court, you know? That’s why they have public seats in court rooms.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Mark and Chipps are really tied up with ball gags in their mouths locked away in the loft at stw towers

no, that was a misunderstanding, they paid to have that done…

wwaswas

but stw are the publisher of this site and as such it might be seen as prejudicing their case?

you could talk about it elsewhere (other web forums are available), though.

DezB
    Free Member

Just like us, they’ve resurfaced on another site. (Please don’t link to ‘that’ site-Mod)

Jonno

There was an article over on bikebiz about it and the fact they have got 90% of the traffic back after the hack. There was also mention of the fact that the police weren’t interested in the case.

Have a read for yourself if you want.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/30224/Singletrack-retains-90-per-cent-of-web-audience-despite-Xmas-hack

aracer
    Free Member

Looks like some bombers are required.

hugorune

Cheers for that link to evil-zone. Perhaps next time you could maybe hint as to whether it’s work safe or not. I”ll just sit and wait for the IT police to notify my line manager.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is it sensible linking to the ez site here?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

No it’s not imo Cheesy. Anything which links a google search for their site to here, isn’t really sensible. It’s all history and should be forgotten imo – apart from any possible legal action.

Pook

Cheers for that link to evil-zone. Perhaps next time you could maybe hint as to whether it’s work safe or not. I”ll just sit and wait for the IT police to notify my line manager.

ah the dangers of dicking about online when you’re meant to be working hey?

pullfaces
    Free Member

From BikeBIZ site

The magazine’s insurance service escaped having to payout too, noting a contract clause that stated ‘physical signs of violent entry must be found to claim against property destruction.’

Surely all the hackers deliberate keyboard actions are physical signs of violence. There is intent to destroy.
    An extreme case analogy would be the person who presses the nuclear button is commiting a violent act by simple pressing a button.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you open all phishing messages too?

I just saw a grey page with text on it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can’t believe the Police aren’t interested in a crime which they are surely obliged to investigate. Obviously, someone who threatens the livelihoods of STW and it’s employees just aren’t important enough.

Unlike an Asperger’s Sufferer facing up to 70 years in jail

wwaswas

someone stole £961 out my bank account recently by usign my card details online.

Police said they wouldn’t investigate even though there was an address the goods were delivered to.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

telling the police about technology crime is a waste of time, they just don’t get it. it’s like the serious fraud office, if they don’t understand the offence, they’re never going to catch the crims.
    WRT the insurance claim though

The magazine’s insurance service escaped having to payout too, noting a contract clause that stated ‘physical signs of violent entry must be found to claim against property destruction.’

Surely all the hackers deliberate keyboard actions are physical signs of violence. There is intent to destroy.
    An extreme case analogy would be the person who presses the nuclear button is commiting a violent act by simple pressing a button.
    a sign of violence could be taken as forcing entry. if you leave a door open, you invlidate any insurance claims. STW effectievly did this by failing to address a known weakness in sql, allowing an “sql injection attack” – clue, I suported sql servers 6 years ago, and those servers were protected against this sort of attack then. so, arguably, the hackers tried the door and found it was open.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

STW effectievly did this by failing to address a known weakness in sql, allowing an “sql injection attack” – clue, I suported sql servers 6 years ago, and those servers were protected against this sort of attack then. so, arguably, the hackers tried the door and found it was open.

Not quite true, SQL injection attacks are often the result of poor application design rather than a software vulneribility. I suspect the servers you supported 6 years ago were Microsoft SQL and the fixes you put in place were against slammer.

SQL injection attacks still happen today no matter what version of SQL is being run in the back ground, you use a poor application design coupled with poor database security then you can be very unlucky! Personally I think the insurance should probably still have paid out pending a detailed report of how the hack was achieved ie was it really open or was a level of cracking needed?

If a third party hosted and supported the application\database Singletrack might have been able to claim off their indemnity insurance but I think STW supported its own stuff so not possible.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘so what happened with STW vs. the hackers of the old site’ is closed to new replies.