Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • so….. what happend to "tj and the others"
  • watsontony
    Free Member

i dont want to talk about banning ect but what happened immediately prior to the banning?

im not asking to try and stir up trouble. (pitch forks at the ready)
    Its just in the 6months plus i have been a member of this forum i have head references to these guys and always wondered humm i wonder who they are and i wonder what they did so please could someone enlighten me please

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t read the actual thread, but it wasn’t a huge bust-up.

TJ was (and is) a pathological arguer. He is incredibly inflammatory without realising it, which got people annoyed and then threads would blow up. He also is utterly incapable of admitting he’s wrong or that someone else’s point of view is valid.

So despite being a fundamentally sound bloke, these particular traits caused a lot of acrimony, the mods continually warned him about it and temporarily banned him. Then one day there was just one argument thread too many.

Then there was a bit of a clear-out of argumentative thread spoilers.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I got warned off trying to contact him the other day. I’m guessing there was more. I’m also guessing this thread will be pulled shortly…

Northwind

TJ is banned forever because he’s too easily baited, and it was too hard to moderate the people who constantly baited him. (this isn’t making excuses for him, he could be a nightmare too, but there’s a difference between lining an argument and being a troll)

GW is banned for actually being a troll 😉

scotroutes

??

He’s on Facebook if you feel the need to chat to him.

It’s a mark of the man (and his tormentors) that folk still try to take the piss out of him on this forum even though he’s been off it for 6 months and has no way of responding.

watsontony
    Free Member

thanks for the reply molegrips that clears that up. end of thread

fourbanger
    Free Member

As for being a pathological arguer, he had his views and they often clashed with the majority. But seeing as the likes of the Sun and the Daily Mail are still in business, there are a lot of morons out there. Fair play for standing up for what you believe.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Banned forever from an obscure cycling website for arguing, now thats impressive!

watsontony
    Free Member

now thats imdepressive!

FTFY

Mantastic
    Free Member

Surfmat I think was another sent packing, I could be wrong

And whatever happened to blu-tone after “that thread” I still have it saved

molgrips
    Free Member

No, Smurf-Mat flounced, cos we kept taking the piss.

watsontony
    Free Member

can we have a link to “that thread” my questions are not answered

Mantastic
    Free Member

Flounced- not been much of that recently. At some point so many were flouncing that us mere mortals almost became big hitters by default. Now I am back to obscurity due to lack of flouncing my life feels empty

aracer
    Free Member

TJ is banned forever because he’s too easily baited, and it was too hard to moderate the people who constantly baited him.

…and the mods took the easy option.

I’m connected with TJ on FB, despite being somebody who argued with him regularly on here (though unlike many others it was never a personal thing for me).

Cougar

The first rule of Ban Club is, you do not talk about Ban Club, unless you want to become a member.

It was before my tenure, but my understanding (as a user around that time) is that Molgrips is pretty much on the money. There were a few people who enjoyed a debate, which is fine, but couldn’t help themselves descending into heated arguments despite repeated warnings, which isn’t. Ultimately, that doesn’t make for a welcoming environment for everyone else.

I don’t think there’s a lot more to add to that, so unless anyone’s got any pearls of wisdom I think this thread will close shortly. I’d suggest that if you do want to discuss this (and I’m questioning how wise my own actions are here), you keep it civil and don’t make it personal. It’s not nice to speak ill of people who can’t answer back.

fasthaggis

OP
    Do you think it’s important ?
    They just went past their sell by date.
    As time passes the references to them mean less and less,I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
    There will be a new wave along soon.
    It happens on a lot of forums,tis the way of the interweb 🙂

scotroutes

At least TJ has enough self-respect not to try to come back under a different name. 😉

tomhoward

The actual ‘last’ thread was much of a muchness, nothing bad, just the straw that broke the camels back.

If you are asking about blu-tones thread, it’s comedy gold, one of the best things on the Internet.

The Picolax Thread Returns

scaredypants

TJ – too easy to bait

GW – gobby but good fun

not sure who else was actually banned or just left in protest (and then resurrected)

fasthaggis

Waves at druidh 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I disagree with Molgrips analysis. I never found TJ “incredibly inflammatory” nor did he ever annoy me.

If you are interested in what sort of post he posted, check his posting history.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/tandemjeremy

Cougar

it was too hard to moderate

Again, speaking purely as a user as I wasn’t privy to what went on then, I suspect that it wasn’t “hard” to moderate so much as bloody time consuming.

You wouldn’t believe how much work there is just in moderating day to day queries, stopping spam and suchlike; I imagine a squeaky wheel would very quickly suck up too much time, to the detriment of everything else.

The mods are all volunteers and give their time freely. It’s a small team and a considerable amount of work.

Cougar

I disagree with Molgrips analysis.

You bloody would. (-:

LsD
    Free Member

I believe they are all now on an unidentified island. Polar bears and hidden bunkers are also involved………

Cougar

Waves at druidh

For the record, druidh isn’t banned, to my knowledge. He’s not done anything wrong (or at least, not done anything sufficiently wrong to merit the Big Banhammer).

Not that that’s particularly important, but I don’t want to see someone character-assassinated unfairly.

aracer
    Free Member

I never found TJ “incredibly inflammatory” nor did he ever annoy me.

Possibly you’re misunderstanding what molgrips means by that. You might not have found him that way, but others clearly did – the big problem though was those who realised they could wind him up and only argued with him in order to stoke their own egos by doing so.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Possibly you’re misunderstanding what molgrips means by that. You might not have found him that way, but others clearly did.

Molgrips said : “He is incredibly inflammatory”. I’m not sure how I can misunderstand that, it’s very clear and unambiguous.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not going to talk about anyone in particular, but as far as I understand it the mods’ decision was made because the forum is actually run to promote the magazine, and they didn’t think constant bickering and flaming rows reflected well.

Which is a fair point imo.

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

You wouldn’t believe how much work there is just in moderating day to day queries, stopping spam and suchlike;

I used to mod a forum that was a lot more active than this one. It wasn’t a commercial venture so we were less worried about clickthrough and footfall and more worried about community.

Til last week I modded Bikeradar and that’s got some of the same considerations as this place, it’s a Future product and that both dictates and creates the majority of the mod work.

(this is not a criticism of STW- it just has different aims to some other forums. I wouldn’t be here if I thought it wasn’t good! But I’m realistic about what it is)

bikebouy
    Free Member

You have to agree, there was some pretty deep and inspiring arguments on here in the past. Intelligent folks tend to bait and bicker it’s a sort of sport to them. Winning arguments was the end game and often TJ and Fred would bait and often tolerate the abuse handed out.
    But there was some mighty intelligent thought provoking stuff they came out with.

Mods have their agenda, I’m not getting into whether they are right or wrong, it’s not my forum and not my place to question, I’m simply a guest in here who observes their (un) written rules.

But blimey, sometimes I do miss their banter.

molgrips
    Free Member

There still are intelligent profound threads on here.

Cougar

I used to mod a forum that was a lot more active than this one.

Well, I can’t compare with others. The only other place I’m a moderator is an Internet Bulletin Board, and that’s unsurprisingly low impact in the 21st Century.

Point I was making was solely that it’s more work than perhaps people realise. Whether it’s as much work as another site, I’ve no idea; I’d hope that the number of bodies would scale with the volume of traffic for a given forum, but that’s not really the point. STW obviously felt they needed another pair of hands (and must have been stuck for choice) because they asked me to pitch in. It might not be Facebook but for a basic forum on the back of a niche interest magazine, it’s not exactly quiet either.

Cougar

Mods have their agenda

The only “agenda” is that, as Northwind said, the magazine is a commercial venture and that has to be respected. Above and beyond that, any perceived agenda is, well, just that, your perception.

watsontony
    Free Member

OP
    Do you think it’s important ?

no, did i imply that?

Cougar

I’m simply a guest in here who observes their (un) written rules.

I’m curious about this. What do you believe are unwritten rules?

I’ve spoken about this before, as far as I can, but I’m a big fan of transparency (which is why I opted to have the tag against my name rather than remain anonymous). If you think there’s something unwritten then please, bring it to my / our attention and I’ll do what I can to get the T&Cs firmed up or explain what’s going on.

We do what we believe is right and often it’s a judgement call. It’s not always an easy call to make, things are rarely black and white. If there’s inconsistency it is, in my opinion, simply because different people respond, rather than any Section 31 style hidden agenda.

Seriously, if you think things could be clearer, tell us.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agenda, T’is what I am saying like.
    And yes there are some intelligent threads on here.

T’is why I still hang around.

crikey
    Free Member

TJ had too much hair for a man of his age and experience!
    A passionate man.

Cougar

Agenda, T’is what I am saying like.

Would I regret asking you to explain that?

jock-muttley

so there I was skipping and hopping through the banhammer minefield stark naked…. :mrgreen:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Aswell as arguing (never really bothered reading it), TJ seemed to offer lots of helpful cycling related advice. As did GW who was pretty funny with it aswell.

Don’t know why either are banned!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘so….. what happend to "tj and the others"’ is closed to new replies.