Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So what do you do with your camelbak bladder after a ride??
  • giantx4
    Free Member

Just cleaned the filth out of mine (milton tablets) & wondered how to keep her clean?… How do you store your bladder after a ride out??

stevew
    Free Member

Blimey, seeing that has put me off of my breakfast…

I rinse mine then sling it in the freezer. Keeps it nice and fresh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

like any STW’r I empty and clean mine properly before drying it with an expensive free range cloth and freezing next to my organic bean mix….

or try and rinse out, it gets used a fair bit so gets emptied fairly regular. If it’s had something other than water it’s more a priority.

From that state lots of milton, and the brush to clean the hose or replace. Leave in a sink of hot water for a bit too.

gibby

Only ever use water in it, so just empty it and into the freezer.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Clean mud off the nipple, empty it, put it in the freezer.

Hang it up half full in the downstairs loo until the next ride. Empty, fill, repeat

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and as it’s the old non quick release hose probably just bin it as it will be cheaper than the brush and a hell of a lot quicker to buy a new one.

matther01
    Free Member

Freezer incl. hose.

giantx4
    Free Member

Haha funny i bn riding with camlbks for years & only just heard of this freezer thing in last few days!!! Crazy!.. Clean from now on!! Milton tabs bought it back to new cond!.. Amazing as tried various stuff b4 & nothing worked 😉

hora
    Free Member

Nowt it stays in the boot of the car. Nothing but clean water goes in it. Every couple of weeks I wash and put in freezer.

You only get black spores when you put anything but water in.

In warm months I clean it after every ride.

Mugboo

+1 The ArtistF… Just water in it though. Pipe gets Black Death eventually though.

Stevelol
    Free Member

+1 for freeze here! Mine never gets crap growing in it now, only ever fill it with water though.

mogrim

Mine stays in my (dark/unlit) garage with whatever water was left until the next ride. Then empty, rinse, fill. Only ever use water though.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I empty after each ride including the hose and valve, and hang in the warm cupboard with something in it to keep it open. Can’t stand poor hygeine!

cinnamon_girl

Some dirty beggars on here. 😐

ndthornton
    Free Member

Hang it in Garage til next time – Its 5 years old and I’m not dead

burt
    Free Member

That my friend, would be going in the bin.

ndthornton
    Free Member

What on earth for – It looks/smells absolutely fine.
    Only use water as its what I was designed to run on and empty + refill before every ride.

Dyffers
    Free Member

I binned one at Christmas having forgotten about it after a ride…in June…and it didn’t look half as bad as that one. 😯

zippykona

I bought a roll top bladder. Pull bite valve off, rinse through dry inside with tea towel and suck pipe dry(ooh err fnarr fnarr).
    Then rinse bite valve blow it dry and leave to air.
    Not having a roll top is silly.

chvck
    Free Member

Stays in backpack until next ride, if I’m in a rush and there’s still enough in there I don’t change the water.

daveh
    Free Member

Empty then fill with practice golf balls such that it fully dries out.

giantx4
    Free Member

After milton tab treatment totally as new again!! Pipe offetc to really clean it… Used il gear cable pulled through tube with tissue wedged in…. The noggle on end drags tissue through thus collecting the crud on its way!!! Done!!!

giantx4
    Free Member

Chvck you jokin right!!!???

captainsideburns
    Free Member

Camelbak is your problem. Source bladder has much better valve and magnetic clip.
    I’ve used this bladder 2-3 times a week for 2 years, never cleaned, don’t empty it or stick it in the freezer. I’ve only used water, but it still tastes perfectly fine.

upload by Captainsideburns, on Flickr

chvck
    Free Member

I am not. I’ve only died a couple of times too. Over Summer I even use hydration tablets in there too. Living life on the edge…

yoshimi

Stays in backpack until next ride, if I’m in a rush and there’s still enough in there I don’t change the water.

^^^This – who can be arsed cleaning out a bladder after every ride – not me that’s for sure

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Camelback design is crap – Hydrapac here for years, roll top, turn it inside out, hose removable, etc. Had water, drinks, hyrado tabs, allsorts in there – rinse, dry and no issues.
    Camelback only got the exposure because of the US military contract which then got them the UK on. SHite quality in comparison to the other makes out there and massively overpriced but they get bought because of the “name”

excitable1
    Free Member

The hydration tablets fizz just like the Milton tablets. It was probably twice as bad until you use them in the summer. I’m guessing you’re a spirit drinker cus you must be killing that sh1te off in your stomach some how !!!

After every ride I rinse mine out a couple of times (hose included), then leave it in the sink with the bladder 3/4 full of water with the lid off and the mouthpiece wrapped round and dipped in the bladder for a day or two. Then I hang it upside down over the sink with the Camelbak hook you can buy and with the expansion clips round the lid propped open. By the weekend it’s dry and ready to go again.

P1sses the wife off no end becuase it’s ‘more bike clutter round the bloody house’

theotherjonv

Rinse, freezer. Repeat. Until it gets smeggy, then i give it a quick milton (or use denture cleaning tablets, have a nicer aftertaste)

When it gets really smeggy, I rinse, milton, and then sell on here.

JOKE! Anyone I’ve ever sold a bladder to, it will have been looked after properly

iainc

The newer ones have those wing things to air aid flow when on the yellow hanger. I only use water, empty after every ride and then hang upside down, with the proper hanger and the wings opened. I was the hose once a week when doing dishes. Never had any issues.

excitable1
    Free Member

Slightly off topic… but always makes me laugh thinking about a post someone put on here a fews back telling the story about a fellow rider who filled their Camelbak full of sparkling water and the obvious consequences when they took their first drink through the tube.

cookeaa

Source bladder here, brilliant being able to get right into the thing and empty it out properly. only ever put water in it.

Empty out, rinse dry out as much as I can then leave it open and upside down on the draining board overnight, stash the hose, coiled up inside it and then just keep it in a dry cupboard.

The freezer thing is a new one on me, but I can see the logic might start doing that it can’t do any harm I suppose, might have trouble explaining it to the missus though…

TBF you don’t have to buy a posh bladder though for the cost of a Camebak or Source bladder you could get 4 or 5 cheap one’s off ebay and just bin em when they get manky…

thelonebiker
    Free Member

+1 for the freezer!

andytherocketeer

When I remember, empty, hang upside down with a spacery thing in there to stop the sides sticking together.

I rarely remember, so in reality, leave it in the bag until the next ride, then hurriedly give it a rinse, once over with a bottle brush, and occasional Milton tablet.

which reminds me… It’s half full, in the bag right now, and been there several weeks.

theotherjonv

filled their Camelbak full of sparkling water and the obvious consequences when they took their first drink through the tube.

I made that mistake with an electrolyte tab, which released co2 as it dissolved and inflated the bladder, which then built enough pressure to start blowing spurts of fluid out of the hose as enough pressure built up to open the bite valve.

giantx4
    Free Member

Use the camelbak specific tabs of course…

chiefgrooveguru

I’m meant to do something with it?!!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I use tesco sterilsing tabs every now and then.. Always freeze after ride.. Only ever use water or with hi5

..that bladder is nasty 😯

hora
    Free Member

I use a tiny bit of washing up liquid and 50% hot water then slosh around like crazy and massage.

Why spend money on cleaning stuff? Crazy. Washing up liquid also works FINE on bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So what do you do with your camelbak bladder after a ride??’ is closed to new replies.