• This topic has 40 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • So what cultural highlights in Hull?
  • 40mpg

Going to Hull this weekend to visit the father in law who’s in hospital there. I may need a cultural* escape after the hospital visit, what’s available to stimulate me?

Note – wife in tow so needs to be inclusive

* in the broadest sense really

bearnecessities

Amsterdam?

bear-uk
    Free Member

The road out across the bridge would be a good option.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

There’s an old trawler you can get guided tours of ……….

fatmax

Er…cheap pubs and the road out of there are the highlights…**** awful…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s Lady Prescott to you, if you don’t mind.

rickmeister

It’s not the edge of the world but you can see the edge of the earth from hull…

Hobster
    Free Member

The old town has some interesting architecture and museums although a trip to Beverley might be a good option.

40mpg

But its the UK City of Culture 2017
    Are you saying they’ve still got some work to do?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As a student (20 yes ago) Spiders was ok… I think, well it was cheap to get very very drunk.

And it’s still there too 🙂

Oh and there’s a sex shop on the main road in too ( see previous thread )

Basil

Beverley is 15 minutes from Castlehill

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went to Hull once but it was shut.

The Deep is the only reason I’d ever go again. (unless I was detailed to take a prisoner from our jail to HMP Hull, or vice versa.

johndoh
    Free Member

Spiders. Pangalactic Gargleblasters.

Sorted.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The last thing you need to be near is a trawler Peter!

matt_outandabout

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Deep, Nothing else.

You can get a ferry to Rotterdam, which is a marvellous place.

northernmatt

Spiders. Pangalactic Gargleblasters.

Sorted.

What he said.

Also if the wind is going the wrong way the whole place stinks because of the tannery.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Birthplace of William Wilberforce, UKs first first digital telephone exchange, relatively pleasant humorous people and Gaviscon.

loddrik
    Free Member

not Hull…

chipster

Don’t know about Hull, but the Humber Bridge is worth the toll. There’s a car park on the north side, you can walk down to the pub on the bank, if the weather’s decent.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

The Deep, Nothing else.

If you go across the foot bridge from the deep and continue up along side the river hull you will get to museum square (5 minute walk) there’s 8 free museum in that area, upstairs at the street life museum there is a section on cycles.

drewfus
    Free Member

Go to the Fruit market area if you’re after good coffee, near to the Deep..
    It’s called Theiving Harry’s there’s also the Minerva pub on the quayside which does decent food.

djglover
    Free Member

The piper club, wonder if you can still watch strippers for 50p whilst you have your Sunday lunch

Sanny
    Free Member

I really like Hull. To be blunt, f### the “Worst place to live in the UK” tag. There are loads of things to see – maritime museum, the old buildings in the centre which the Germans didn’t manage to obliterate, the streetlife transport museum, Skidby Mill, Hull Kingston Rovers (go watch a match – like union but good!), The Deep, Spurn lightship etc. The Humber Bridge itself is pretty damned impressive and a walk along the shore is grand on a crisp Winters day.

Beverley just up the road is great. Lovely old market town with a brilliant cycling cafe, cafe velo, and the most stunning Minster. Well worth a trip up onto the roof.

Good Yorkshire folk, happy to talk to you like Glaswegians.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you go across the foot bridge from the deep and continue up along side the river hull you will get to museum square (5 minute walk) there’s 8 free museum in that area, upstairs at the street life museum there is a section on cycles.

Also a stroll across the bridge

Wilberforce slavery museum is a sobering place to see some of the stuff we did – sickening tbh.

tynemouthmatt
    Free Member

Go have a pint at the Ye Olde White Harte

Pub where the English civil war started.

Crag
    Free Member

djglover – Member

The piper club, wonder if you can still watch strippers for 50p whilst you have your Sunday lunch

Posted 33 minutes ago #

I spent many Sundays there when I was a student 20 years ago (Funky – sounds like we could have been there about the same time).

Glad to hear Spiders is still going strong, many good nights in there. Do they still sell Pink Pugsley’s?

Old town is pretty good for a stroll. Loving Sanny’s enthusiasm, I had an amazing 4 years at Uni in Hull – great place.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The only thing going for Hull is that its made to look better than it is due to the proximity of Scunny and Goole.

hammerite
    Free Member

There’s also a ferry to Zeebrugge, free bus in to Bruges.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Pangalactic Gargleblasters

I had forgotten all about them ! Odly my last vague memory of Spiders was trying to walk home, and trying to climb up a road bridge that had been raised 😆

The Piper Club was on Newlands Av if I remember rightly? In my last year there it turned in to a fairly normal pub 🙁

Spiders early morning last weekend (yes I had a valid reason to visit that part of Hull again) doesn’t this just make you want to visit Hull ??

satchm00
    Free Member

Going to Hull this weekend to visit the father in law who’s in hospital there. I may need a cultural* escape after the hospital visit, what’s available to stimulate me?

Note – wife in tow so needs to be inclusive

* in the broadest sense really

I don’t think much to Hull… Head north and go to either Beverley or up the coast to Brid for fish & chips.

atlaz
    Free Member

Ah Spiders. I grew up in Hull (well, Hessle where the bridge is) and have apparently spent many an evening there. Their “cocktails” were best described as designed by a pissed person who thought stuff like brandy and chocolate milk was a good idea. That said they were cheap.

We spent a LOT of time in Ye Olde Blue Bell as well. They had pool tables and used to be happy to let you in early and drink free beer (well, there was a tab running but it satisfied the local police if they popped around). I’ve got fond memories of having my first pint one day a bit before 10am on a friends 21st birthday, and one of the group having to go home before noon as he was smashed.

I’ve not been back for over 15 years now but might make an effort. The Hull pronunciation/sayings guide has got me a little homesick… plus you can’t beat a bit of chipspice.

The only thing going for Hull is that its made to look better than it is due to the proximity of Scunny and Goole.

there are LOTS of places in the area that make Hull look like Paris or Rome by comparison. It’s not that surprising that industrial/port cities turn out to be holes when the industries and ship traffic die out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a cement works on the other side of the river and there is always Scunny….

everyone
    Free Member

up the coast to Brid

I wouldn’t do that, arguably worse than Hell Hull!

Probably a bit biased since I used to live there.

benji
    Free Member

Very nice bike shop in North Feriby called Vive le Velo, good coffee and some lovely bikes to look at.

atlaz
    Free Member

Brid, With – all are a bit crap. Get up the coast if you want something a bit better.

saxabar
    Free Member

All a bit negative here. If I recollect, beyond fumbles and getting sloshed in Spiders, there was The Room, Blue Lamp, Hull Truck, The Adelphi and a pretty thriving local arts scene (a benefit of being geographically isolated).

flyingmonkeycorps

Sanny has covered it pretty well. There’s a gig on at Fruit tonight (Petrol Girls) if that’s your thing, and there’s a bunch of little galleries dotted around. The main (Ferens) gallery is shut for refurbishment though. There’s a load of photography exhibited in Princes Quay including a few friends work.

If you want something nice to eat head to Princes Avenue or Newland Avenue – there is literally tons of choice. Lots of nice foodie bars, really good Thai and Malaysian places, Marrakech is delicious, Henry Yeast is awesome for Sunday dinner, there’s a lovely veggie cafe called Zoo… There really is loads. I don’t often eat in the town but old town is probably your best bet there. Hitchcocks is an awesome veggie restaurant if it’s open but you need to book in advance.

If you’re at Castle Hill then Cottingham itself is quite pleasant and you could head out onto the Wolds for a walk though it might have melted back to a big now. Plenty of little village pubs to choose from.

If you fancy the coast Brid or Hornsea are closest but not great apart from the sea and decent fish and chips.

Feel free to drop me an email for more info 🙂 willslater(at)gmail(dot)com

gallowayboy

Seem to recall a fantastic Victorian public toilet with great tiling……….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres a cracking chippy by the harbour in Brid – the Blue Dolphin or something (sounds like a nautical strip bar).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘So what cultural highlights in Hull?’ is closed to new replies.