Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • So what are the big honkin 29ers then?
  • Northwind

Making a list and checking it twice… Not neccesarily about wheel travel or whatever, just about intent- so the Prime is a little shorter travel frinstance. Just flat ruling out anything steeper than 68 degrees though, it’s 2014. Missing any?

Banshee Prime
    Canyon Spectral
    Commencal Meta AM 29
    Cube Stereo 140
    Intense Spider Comp (but not the normal spider)
    Kona Satori (discounting the process, too short travel)
    Nicolai Ion 15
    Norco Shinobi
    Orange Five 29
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT
    Specialized Enduro
    Transition Covert
    Yeti SB95

I’m considering buying used so the more contenders the better 😉 Think the Transition is currently top of the heap though

davosaurusrex

In true Stw fashion I’ll suggest what I’ve got- Turner Sultan. Taken it down a few BPW blacks and the rider was definitely the limiting factor

goodgrief
    Free Member

BMC TF01 Trailfox

bigdean

For the price of a frame these days you could a) get a custom build b) buy a welder and build one your self.
    Though the countless hours currently spent playing with suspension kinematics on CAD has made me appreciate a well designed frame.

mboy
    Free Member

Pyga 110?
    Salsa Horsethief?

Just ordered myself a cheap Ghost AMR 2955 from CRC, only 100mm at the back (doesn’t need more IMO), 110mm up front and 69 degree head angle, but low BB means a 120 or even a 130mm fork should be a goer bringing the head angle to about 68 degrees.

Was looking at the Banshee at Core bike show, looks good, but not sure a 29er needs that much travel myself…

Andy

Sultan +1

Metasequoia

Niner WFO
    Niner RIP

househusband

If you’re open to hardtails I’d look little further than German 2souls!

timmys

I know you have the Enduro , but I’d put the Spech Stumpy FSR Evo on the list. Possibly Transition Bandit as well?

z1ppy

Cheapey cheerful, crc’s Vitus Escarpe 29er.. Oops only small un’s left

Candodavid
    Free Member

Hardtail could only be the awesome 2 souls quarterhorse.
    So good to ride I’m tempted to take to Sierra Nevada instead of my Tallboy Ltc.

rickon
    Free Member

Sultan +2 🙂

Northwind

Some good ones in there, cheers!

If I do this, it’s to replace a 160/150mm 26 inch full suss with coil lyriks so definitely not going to a short travel 29er, or anything too xc- needs good tyre clearance etc. Rules out quite a few. Even with the 68-degree head angle crowd I’m trying to avoid anything that won’t take an angle headset if need be, as I likes me the slack.

That Escarpe’s crazy value, wish it fitted! I’d be tempted to just grab one.

Er, what else. Horsethief, BMC and WFO are great calls, cheers! Stumpy is eliminated for gobsmacking ugliness, Pyga for its ridiculous seatmast. The RIP9, Sultan and Bandit don’t push my buttons, all seem a bit xc.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Krampus

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Why 29 and not 27.5?

Northwind

Cos if I’m spending a grand and a half on changing frame, wheels, tyres and forks, I want a difference I can actually see 😉 Other option o’course is just to buy another 26 inch frame and write 650b on the tyres in tippex, nobody’ll know.

davosaurusrex

The Sultan is a trail bike, it pedals well but really isn’t XC

davosaurusrex

Oh and the mbr review reckons you shouldn’t discount the process 29er due to travel, they’re supposed to be the shiz!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Cos if I’m spending a grand and a half on changing frame, wheels, tyres and forks, I want a difference I can actually see

KRAMPUS

Northwind

The single ring thing puts me off the process too… (not that I’m against single ring, but options are good… And it makes for a rather expensive bike)

I rode a Sultan and I will not comment on that experience here because there are fans present who’re taking time out to try and help… but no ta!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bigdean – Member
    For the price of a frame these days you could a) get a custom build b) buy a welder and build one your self.
    Though the countless hours currently spent playing with suspension kinematics on CAD has made me appreciate a well designed frame.

PMSL as most people would have no idea what would make a custom frame any better short of – copy that please (which would probably turn out more expensive) and the thought of buying a welder and then learning to weld 🙂

Anyway the Tallboy gets a very good write up and the missus is very made up with hers so I reckon the LT would be good 🙂

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

PMSL as most people would have no idea what would make a custom frame any better short of – copy that please

That is totally what I would do 😆 I can weld- well, I can stick bits of metal together with birdshit well enough that they don’t break under their own weight- but I couldn’t weld a bike, or cut the tubes, or any of that useful stuff. Think I will leave it to the experts.

(if I was customming something, it’d be a new longer slacker front triangle for my Hemlock, but I digress)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sultan rider here. IMO it’s a trail bike. Not stiff enough for hammer-time use and its not slack enough to meet your spec anyway is it?

Built chunky, it gives a good account of itself, but I don’t think it has the correct suspension characteristics for big stuff.

I’d be interested to hear why you didn’t get on with one North wind.

Northwind

My default mode is unconstructive slagging so I’ll wind it in- it just felt tall and steep, very old-school American. Pedalled amazingly for a 125mm bike, but then I thought, why is it a 125mm bike in the first place? That’s a lot of travel for a 29er, and it looks pretty sturdy… but it could be shorter and lighter without giving anything away. I didn’t know the geometry but looking at it now I see long chainstays, short reach, highish bb, steep head angle…

Northwind

Hmm, how did I not know about the Cube Sting? Exact same geometry as the Stereo, but prices starting from £1800- cheaper build and all alu frame mind.

JCL
    Free Member

Well if you had the funds the TF01 is the way to go. Stunning details, perfect geo and the rate is supposed to be perfectly linear/progressive. I would have gone that way if I could have got one at anything like what I can get a Specialized for but no chance so E29 it is.

What I would do if I was you is buy the Comp E29 bike and get some Derby rims and eventually Pike/XO1. That combo would stuff a stock carbon E29. The rear suspension is so much better than most bikes that it’ll still be fine with the OE shock.

Lester
    Free Member

ill suggest the two i have, both by Titus
    ti fireline evo 29er fun bike and seems to be able to do everything well

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIFLX9/titus_fireline_sram_x9_mountainbike

and titus carbon rockstar, cant comment on how it rides as i only finished building it last night, i built frame only up, so im sure you would spec up in a few areas

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIROCKX5/titus_rockstar_sram_x5_carbon_mountainbike

and dont forget fat bikes are 29ers as well 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

and dont forget fat bikes are 29ers as well

I’d check your ERD if I were you, you’ve been short changed

bigdean

PMSL as most people would have no idea what would make a custom frame any better short of – copy that please (which would probably turn out more expensive) and the thought of buying a welder and then learning to weld

I’d love to buy a tig welder and learn, new frame is an excuse but its not for everyone granted.

Options was asked for and yes what does make a good frame?
    R.e. copying- the covert looks good on paper just short (as per other thread) so just “copy” that and add 1.5″ to the front triangle?

I’ve been reading and looking a suspension designs for a while now and still not past the 2d wire frame stage. Getting to grips with balancing chain growth, travel is difficult but in an ineresting way.

Anyway i just want my 5 spot in 29″ form (140/150 travel), unfortunaly thats not the sultan and the burner is not worth the swap, same as OP not wanting 650b.

johnny

I’ve got a bit of a thing for a Devinci atlas at the moment. Only 110mm travel frame, but will take up to a 140mm fork.
    Also has reversible linkages that slacken and lower the geometry.

I’ve not ridden one, but good reviews and they look nice, which is as thorough a basis as most STW reccomendations…!

Lester
    Free Member

and dont forget fat bikes are 29ers as well

I’d check your ERD if I were you, you’ve been short changed

not sure what ERD means
    maybe i should have said that fat bikes can be 29ers, maybe i should have said “can” be 29ers as the majority of fat tyres are almost identical in size to a 29er diameter
    and a krampus can be both

davosaurusrex

@northwind – fair enough, horses for courses etc.

*takes ball and storms off home sulking*

sumomatt
    Free Member

Intense Carbine or Spesh Enduro are the only two even remotely likely top tempt me off my Stereo140.

rOcKeTdOg

not sure what ERD means

Effective Rim Diameter, fat bike rims are 26″ 29+ rims are 29″(approx)

wobbem
    Free Member

Spech Enduro is the only on on my want list, coming from a short chainstayed 29er HT myself
    Pink bike
    Vital
    Both gave bike of the year.

luke1688

Niner WFO9 looks big and honkin

Northwind

Yeah, the WFO definitely makes the list.

weeksy

You’re more than welcome to try my Meta AM29, it truely is a beast, destroys trails. Heavy though, but built to last.

sillyoldman

Ordered a Horsethief – you’re welcome to a go if you like? I’m based in Glasgow – you’re in the east – aye?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For those who can’t see the point in long travel 29ers, don’t knock them till you’ve tried them. Long travel 29ers make complete and utter sense, great fun. Went out on mine today after a month and a half off it and even though I was taking it easy as I’ve been off it for a while I had a hoot. Yes you can use them in steam roller fashion if you want, but that misses the point, they just make you want to hunt out bumpier terrain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘So what are the big honkin 29ers then?’ is closed to new replies.