Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So what are messengers/couriers going to ride now?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Now that all the mainstream manufacturers have nicked the messengers' styling, what are the REAL riders going to ride? There's no way they're going to want to be mistaken for fakengers…

You know that when the middle-aged middle classes are pootling round London on this kind of kit that it's time to move on…

Fakenger-tastic

meehaja
    Free Member

full suss, full face, full body armour, no chain. Thats what all the cool kids are rocking.

sobriety
    Free Member

BigDummy
    Free Member

😯

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Penny farthing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

most messengers in london are eastern european economic migrants and ride geared mountainbikes or hybrids. usually the £400 marin one in black (can't remember the model name) or whatever halfords are knocking out to commuters for £350.
    it's just a job to them not a cool lifestyle choice or about being part of a 'scene'.

slowjo
    Free Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but iirc fixies are seriously old skool anyway aren't they? The penny farthing isn't too far off then. How about one of the old wooden scoot along things that predated "real" bikes?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Slowjo, I'm not sure if this link will work, but here's my folks 1880s Michaux. With a Horst Link and fixed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/ScottishHouseHomesGardens#5392217568714295698

verses

brooess – Member
    Fakenger-tastic

Someone else got their Cycle Surgery catalogue too then 🙂

mossimus
    Free Member

Ironically I can only think of 3 or 4 of our 50+ cycle couriers who ride the style of bike in brooess' post

thomthumb
    Free Member

retro bmx's seem popular.

i thought for a while it could be SSCX – but that's only cos i'm cool and that's what i'm rocking this season. 8)

vinnyeh

Few years back there was an extremely athletic looking black courier in the City, wearing full lycra and a full face helmet, riding a (I think) SC Superlight with slicks- maybe a return to those days?

gazc
    Free Member

early 90's kona's/spesh's seem to be everywhere at mo. quill stems, canti's, eye bleeding colours etc cant go wrong with that 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

The cool kids "steed" of choice has been retro 10 and 12 speeds for quite sometime now…

RepacK
    Free Member

Who gives a **** who rides what & for what reason? Stop being so damn niche..

vinnyeh

Who gives a **** who rides what & for what reason? Stop being so damn niche..

says the man who picked a user name hinting he might be a bit more 'special' than most of us 😈

BigJohn

This makes me uncomfortable. I've been riding a "club run" bike for about 40 years now – 531, fixed, mudguards, bull-horns, pannier – because I just find it easy to go to work/shops/pub/saturday night out on it. Its an old unfashionable wreck and so am I.

Now everybody is saying I'm following a trend.

Look – its not my fault that my daughter's boyfriend is a marketing bod at Rapha, so I have a few items of that, and let's face it any pair of jeans would look tight on me.

RepacK
    Free Member

No I Just live round the corner from the bottom of Repack so it kinds makes sense dont you think?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've just destroyed my 6-speed to make a fakenger, and now you tell me!

TBH the way my knees going its more of an art project than actualy something for me to ride.

Cost of 12speed £20 (bought before even fixies were cool, probably nearer £150 now!!!!!)

cost of tires £20

Nitromors, hammerite, etc £35

given up

Filed off cable guides, DT shifter pegs, mech hanger.

Bought cheepie carbon forks £20

£50 powdercoat and rebuild?

total cost £155+stuff from spares bin, which is probably about what its worth!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So what are messengers/couriers going to ride now?’ is closed to new replies.