Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • So we found a lost child…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

And it was singularly the most heart wrenching thing I’ve come across in a while!! In a very busy Victoria station on Friday lunch time with the wife and bro and sis in law. Seen the little dude pulling his case just sobbing! Very very hard to console a Danish 8/9/10 yr old using the internationally recognised symbols of thumbs up and ok! 10 mins later we found his very grateful/worried dad. Reckon I’d’ve missed my train rather than go without knowing he was back safe!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Reckon I’d have let the BTP take care of it.

CountZero

Just the though gets me all hot behind the eyes. There’s little I find more heartbreaking than a small lost child weeping for their mummy or daddy while adults pass by uncaring.
    So glad this had a happy ending in a short time.

Lifer
    Free Member

Good work!

scotroutes

FTFY

wrightyson
    Free Member

Absolutely no one around, found a girl in a vizzy vest, barged in on her conversation with other people, she said she couldn’t help as she had no radio 😯
    Pointed me in the rough direction of where someone might be with one, the little dude was so hard to talk to, it was like coaxing someone with a fear of heights up a ladder.
    Never saw a single police officer till half hr later.

Jamie
    Free Member

What? And let the terrorists run amok?! 😮

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s the way, don’t congratulate them for trying to help and look after a scared child.

Just tell them they did it all wrong

STW at its finest. 🙄

Houns

Chuckles @ jonjones

matt_outandabout

Good effort OP.

I too could not have passed such a child by without helping.

And having had a temporarily misplaced child (@10-15 mins in a big park in Sheffield…), it is horrid for all involved (apart from eldest_OAB who had taken it upon himself to go throw stones in the river, down a steep bank and behind the bushes..)

jamj1974

I would have done the same wrightyson. Only thing to do in my opinion. Poor wee man…

Jamie
    Free Member

STW at its finest.

To be fair to George, he is perma-set to devil’s advocate.

jamj1974

I would have done the same wrightyson. Only thing to do in my opinion. Poor wee man…

Junkyard
    Free Member

well done OP

Have some karma points if not a unanimous STW congrats

wrightyson
    Free Member

His sister (who was older) was the one who spotted him, clearly took the piss (in Danish) when she came running over. I thought he was going to chin her. I’ve never seen a father and son breathe such huge sighs of relief before. Gave him another thumbs up (internationally recognised symbol for “I’m not a paedo”) and left them to their reunion!

scotroutes

[img]http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2012/10/15/312242.jpg[/img]

jonjones262
    Free Member

It’s good to see that my 1st post about everybody’s normal knee jerk reaction to strangers approaching a lost child went down so well…

good effort OP. 🙂

mightymule
    Free Member

Nice work OP 8)

wrightyson
    Free Member

😆

crikey
    Free Member

There are few feelings as bad as the one you get when you look around and find your child is missing.

The rising panic against the need to keep calm and get your shit together is a potent combination, and not somewhere I’d like to go again.

My youngest decided to disappear in the National Science Museum, at lunchtime, aged 4. Mrs crikey stayed with the other two while I carefully and desperately retraced our steps, fighting a rising sense of panic and despair.

The wee sod was standing looking at a train and smiling….

Jamie
    Free Member

*chuckles at druidh*

Edit: I personally am tickled by the fact he image searched for ‘savile thumbs up’.

scuzz
    Free Member

*chuckles at druidh*

All too meta for my liking

Jamie
    Free Member

All too meta for my liking

glupton1976
    Free Member

I would have left it to the BTP pure and simply because if I’d lost a child in a train station they would be the first people I’d ask for help.

scuzz
    Free Member

Who would you ask in Denmark? 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Well done to the OP. My God, would anyone seriously just walk past a sobbing lost child in a busy place?

Quite simple really, you just stay where you are as that would be your best guess as to the most likely place that the parent would find them. Then try to attract the attention of police or other appropriate person.

The kid in this case was also foreign. He would probably know to look for police in his own country, but might not recognise or be confident enough to do it in this country.

Anyway, if you put yourself in the position of that child, terrified and worrying, the OP stopped that and reunited him with his parents. Well done.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would have left it to the BTP pure and simply because if I’d lost a child in a train station they would be the first people I’d ask for help.

Bollocks to that. If I lost a child, the first thing I would do would be to wonder where the child came from, as I haven’t got any kids, the next thing would be to find the nearest builder on his holiday, as they have such trusting faces.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Who would you ask in Denmark?

Sarah Lund, wouldn’t be any good at comforting the kid, but would definitely find the parents.

yunki
    Free Member

Did the relieved father start yelling and beating the found child around the ears..?

At the Fort Bill DH word cup we saw a very frightened and sobbing lad reunited with his frantic mum, who rather than comforting the traumatised lad and holding him close to the family bosom, proceeded to give him a good shoeing..

thegreatape
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

But if that happened and the BTP found your kid, you’d get the jail for punching the copper who brought him back.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yunki – that’s considered affection up here in Lochaber

Jamie
    Free Member

But if that happened and the BTP found your kid, you’d get the jail for punching the copper who brought him back.

Nah. That would only occur if it was a zoo keeper….or possibly a park ranger.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

BTP, don’t make me laugh. The police farce with a dog that’s afraid of trains! The same police force that even after being given VERY specific details regarding a location confused Kingston with Kingston near Lewes. The same police that sent a SOCO to site two days after I reported copper theft that was very old and demanded that I attended site before I impolitely informed that I was not working that day.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What about constables of the Royal Parks Constabulary? Does he punch them?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only here could a post about someone doing something good become such a nasty little thread.

*Wanders off*

Jamie
    Free Member

*Wanders off*

I call shenanigans!

What about constables of the Royal Parks Constabulary? Does he punch them?

They get titty twisters and wet willys.

dannyh
    Free Member

Flashy.

Couldn’t agree more.

Shakes head and sighs.

Then wanders off.

mark90
    Free Member

Good work OP. It’s amazing how many people don’t stop to help in such situations (bystander effect?).

Our young’un has silicone wrist band with mine and mum’s phone numbers on. The band is pink so she’ll happily wear it.

The bands came from here:

http://www.team-sport-bands.co.uk

2 quid for a custom ‘engraved’ wrist band. No connection, just happy customer.

Houns

Just choked on my brew at druidh 😆

to be fair I would’ve tutted at the thing crying and making a noise.

singletrackmind

I too found a lost child today
    In QE Country Park , Hampshire . Rode up and had a mooch about looking for the trail builders . on my way up the main path a wee thing who was sobbing asked if I knew where the play area was . I’m 44 and don’t really go to play areas any more funnily enough.
    More tears and almost descending into hysterics I assertained exactly where she meant and off we wandered back where I had just come from. She was doing that funny walk/ run /walk thing kids do when trying to keep up with adults. I asked her if she had a mobile phone and was sternly told ‘Im only 10’
    A min or so later she said ‘I can see my Daddy ‘ and legged it .

Almost had a pang of wanting a kid , almost

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So we found a lost child…’ is closed to new replies.