Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • So Turning the TV off can save the planet ?
  • fatboyslo
    Free Member

As I understand it some folks would have us believe that by leaving your TV on standby rather than turning it off we are wasting shed loads of power and money …………

OR ARE WE ?????????

Take a look at this article on the gadget show

WTF !!!! hardly going to ruin the place am I ???

GrahamS

Yep the standby power of newer TVs have been greatly improved by manufacturers after the “Standby Issue” got so much press.

Of course if you own a newer TV with these improved standby figures then you probably threw out a perfectly good TV out when you bought it, so you are still planet-raping scum 😀

robdob
    Free Member

If you look at your own action by themselves then no, it’s not going to make much of a difference. However if you were less of a selfish moron you might realise that if a few million people all saved a few watts each we might need 1 less new power station built.

Simple really. 🙄

Zedsdead
    Free Member

After seeing the massive number of AC units here on the go continually I would safely say that turning your TV from stand-by to off will make buger all difference…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Yes, that Gadget Show article didn’t really mention that whilst, yes, running your xBox only costs £8 a year, you might need to turn your television on as well to really use it properly too….

molgrips
    Free Member

More like 13 new power stations for the USA alone, robdob.

It’s really simple.

ENERGY NEEDS SAVING WHEREVER IT CAN BE

So that means driving less, turning stuff off, fitting energy savers, turning the thermostat down, buying local food, keeping your car longer, everything – all of it.

Turning stuff off doesn’t save much compared to some other things, but it’s so friggin easy to do, why not do it? It will help overall.

nickjb
    Free Member

More like 13 new power stations for the USA alone

Any facts to back that up?

I’ve just one a fag packet calc.
    100,000,000 TVs on stand by, 0.5w each = 50MW
    1/16th of three mile island, 1/40th Aswan dam, 1/3rd of a small gas turbine

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that the other day in the paper, no idea where they got the figure from. And it’s not just TVs on standby is it? There are loads of appliances either permanently on or on standby all the time. Some things are terribly wasteful on standby – wasn’t it a Wii or somethign common that used 40W? My mate had a cable TV decoder that got so hot on standby that it melted itself. Ok so the ventilation wasn’t great but that takes some power to melt stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘So Turning the TV off can save the planet ?’ is closed to new replies.