Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • So.. Today I made a Snow Bike…
  • Coleman
    Free Member

Nice one Josh. That looks just the biz. Awesome.
    Might be worth taking it to Thornbridge on Sunday!!
    Not biking tonight so Ad and myself are off to the park for a spot of nightime boarding in all this fresh powder.

juiced
    Free Member

Do you think it would be a good idea for run two ski’s at the front and two at the back, right next to eachother thus spreading the load on softer snow?

will
    Free Member

Seriously seriously cool! Well done!

Any videos in action?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Oh my god. I’m going to make one this week. Brilliant.

I’ve summoned the frame, have the wood.

How did you hold it together? Is it just screws, nails and araldite?

snowslave

OP, that is flipping brilliant.

Got me googling for conversion kits and the like. They sell them, but for about $270, without skis. These are basically v shaped triangular bits of metal with axles at the pinnacle. You screw them to an old chopped ski or snowblades. They weight them slightly towards the back so if you get air (yeah right), they automatically tip up a bit at the front to stop them digging in when you land.

Bit more googling got me to this: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?242516-Ski-Snow-Bikes-is-Done!!!PICS!

They’ve used same concept essentially, but using skateboard trucks to fix the blades to the bike, which seems a good idea.

I have an old pair of snowblades, I reckon if I take off the bindings and screw blocks to them, then fix them to the bike dropouts I’ll be up and running. Well I would, were the snow not to have melted. I wondered about the trucks moving as you angulate, therefore getting it more difficult to dig in an edge when turning?

Think I might give it a go

epicsteve
    Free Member

We need to see a video of this in action.

snowslave

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2742459/xcorps_action_sports_tv_46_snowbike_2_seg3/ – these guys are using the expensive conversion kits

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They don’t seem to turn well. Have you see snowscoots – they turn really nice, like big monoski?

juiced
    Free Member

been researching making one of these since the OP’s original post a while back – you can also use skateboard trucks to connect the ski’s to the frame or use a snowboard too.youtube ‘snowbike’ for some videos.

handyman153
    Free Member

Evening…

Thanks for the comments again, i will try and get some form of video done, but if it keeps on raining, the snows not gonna last much longer.

SpokesCycles –
    Its just screws, but plenty of them.

Juiced,
    Indeed you are right. The skateboard trucks do work. They are to wide for normal dropouts though. Take abit of playing with.
    Heres a picture of the Scot’s little brother. Using the trucks idea, it works great. But its difficult to get the bolts tight enough on the rear axle –

Cheers
    Josh..

druidh
    Free Member

Brill! I remember my Dad making one for us when we were kids. Must have been in the early 70’s and the donor bike was a Raleigh Chooper.

Wish I still had it!

martinxyz
    Free Member

ive got trucks,axles,frames.would love to walk up Cairngorm with it.

anyone else fancy making one with the thought of going for a group walk up the gorm some day? that would be a right laugh. Ive got old boards but i need to know if a snowboard would make a better base than a narrow ski. has anyone found out which works best yet?

juiced
    Free Member

that’s more like it handyman. Awesome too. I am thinking of running two skis’s at the front and back, next to eachother.recon it would ride nicely? The other option is to run the skis apart by a few inches, like a quad!

juiced
    Free Member

now I know why some bmx’s skibikes run chains from the seat stays to the rear trucks.

juiced
    Free Member

just got my ski’s. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘So.. Today I made a Snow Bike…’ is closed to new replies.