Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • So, today I got my insulin pump
  • votchy
    Free Member

Dick – I am running Windows 8 and mine works ok, I do get the warning but things still work.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They all seem to be somewhat behind the curve on software. Accu-chek stuff doesn’t work on Windows 8 or Mac. It’s all a bit backwards really!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at my stats, and I’m happy. Yes, it’s still early days, but the pump really seems to be making a difference

4th October 2013 by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

The spike was due to a cannula reaching the end of it’s usefulness I believe, so I can live with that and learn from the experience.

Gravy
    Free Member

Hi, im going to follow your progress with your new pump, I have been diabetic since 1970 and Im just 53 yo. I have really good control of b/s and average was 7.8 last time at the docs, my diabetic nurse is pleased with the way I control my condition and so am I. However when the time comes I should know quite a bit about your pump and the way you control your condition.
    Good luck. DW.

Gravy
    Free Member

PS, quite surprised how many riders on here have diabetes. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hi all, just done an update for this week ( http://inpumpwetrust.blogspot.co.uk ) with some of the things I’ve learnt that they don’t teach you in it. Might prove useful to some of you considering a pump.

Oh, and would I recommend a pump now? Too bloody right I would. They are brilliant.

Harry_the_Spider

Good read.

Changing prescriptions has proved to be a bit of PITA for us at times. My daughter went from a preloaded pen to a cartridge because she needed ber basal in half unit increments. I thought I would have to bring the consultant and the nurse with me to get that one changed on the repeat prescription.

Also, getting stuff in larger than usual quanities because of holidays has caused some frustration followed by phone calls and various amounts of queuing up.

Ho and indeed hum. 😕

pkennedy19
    Free Member

Piedi – I’ve been on the pump since 2000 with a few breaks in between times for various reasons. Find it the best way of management, but it is INTENSE at times. The pump is great in that you can “turn it down” just before exercise. I run at 30% to 50% basal usually depending on intensity of exercise. This works really well for road biking or running – it’s generally steady arobic exercise. However, it doesn’t work so well (I find) for sports such as MTB and skiiing… the reason – adrenaline. For me it’s the most difficult of all the factors to achieve control over. Adrenaline will cause your liver to secrete glucose and fire it DIRECTLY into the blood – great of you are “normal” – energy, high awareness, quick thinking – just what you need when hurtling down a trail on the edge. For us unfortunate ones it has the precise opposite affect as the glucose just lies in the blood and never gets to do what it should do. The body tries to flush it out into the urine, you dehydrate and you loose energy, focus and clarity of thought. Perhaps I spent too much time on the edge of control on the bike and therefore exasperated the problem. A better biker or skiier might be able to manage it more successfully. If I stick to XC or road it is no bother. You will get used to physically carrying the 24/7/365 – that’s the easy bit. The control is a never ending process of fine tuning as your lifestyle and body go through the natural changes.

pkennedy19
    Free Member

If you are interested I have just started a Facebook page to share just these ideas. It’s specifically for bikers on pumps. Come and join … you’ll be the second member 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikingwithinsulinpumps/

Paul

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hello all, quick update to say that the pump is still bleeding’ brilliant. Much, much easier than faffing with pens and enables much better control too.

I’d urge any type 1’s out there to investigate and seriously consider going pump.

Been updating the blog if anyone is interested in my experiences to date.

kelvin

Adrenaline thoughts very interesting. That hadn’t occurred to me. Ta.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

re adrenaline and riding. I was out with my dad once and we stopped for a cake and coffee. Checked my BGL and I was 1.9. Felt fine! Bit scary to not have to warning signs there but not been caught since. I’ve just got the OK for a pump, my GP’s doing a referral. I work in a hospital and the endocrine centre is across the road from my PICU so VERY handy. Really excited!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So I’m nearly 2 weeks into owning a pump now. Bloody hell why didn’t I get this sooner? Amazing bit of kit, probably the best wee gadget I own.

Got my hourly rates set up. 2 levels of excercise set in (-20% for walking the dog and -%50 for biking) and +130% for sick days in 4 hour blocks.

So far I’ve had a couple of hypos which was day one as my basal lantus was finishing off. I don’t think I’ve been over 10mmol/L. Love the bluetooth BGL meter and the ability to check my levels, enter the carbs for a meal and DELIVER insulin.

Just experimenting now with various lengths of tubing. Initially 60mm but that was too short. Had a couple of near misses when I’ve gone to the bog and nearly ripped the cannula out!

I use the white fabric belt at night and quite surprised how much it’s NOT in the way.

It’s so nice to be out, feel like having some food and not thinking “ah bugger, forgot my insulin!”

More than impressed!

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve been following this with interest. My 4 year old has it and we have good control with the pen but I suspect we’ll switch to the pump when her life becomes more “spontaneous”.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Very very interesting thread as a type 2 that’s struggling on diet, meds and exercise to keep BG at required levels and being warned insulin will be on the horizon. The other thing is indeed, wow, how many cyclists are diabetic in one form or another!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ahh hypo on waking. 2.7. Probs those couple of beers before bed. Oopsie.

My machine says “Eat 12g of carbs and retest”

Genius.

Northwind

Suggsey – Member

Very very interesting thread as a type 2 that’s struggling on diet, meds and exercise to keep BG at required levels and being warned insulin will be on the horizon.

There’s drawbacks for sure, T1 is “worse” but it does mean you get the Big Stick rather than using more lifestyle tools to control it. It’s not something you want but as chronic diseases go it’s not so bad 😉

Easy for me to say I suppose, I can’t really remember not being diabetic but with modern kit and good support it’s just another thing you do. I think I’d find it harder to be T2, going by folks I know that have it.

chipster

How did I miss this tread, twice!!

I think it’ll be 3 years in October since I got my pump. It’s a keeper. 😉
    Harry, the first time I heard about insulin pumps, was from a chap who used to ride with us. He’d seen my Hypostop gels in my pack and we got nattering. His son (must’ve been no more than 7 years old) was diabetic and had got a pump. It had made such a difference to his lad’s control, he said if anything happened to the pump, he’d gladly buy another out of his own pocket (at £2k+)!
    Oh, while I’m here, for folks who’ve done the DAFNE course, I found out the other week, after a Ketone+ test, there’s an online DAFNE Handbook. This may be old news. 😳

dmorts

Met a guy from Norway at a mate’s wedding who takes his insulin by nose spray.

chipster

r
    Met a guy from Norway at a mate’s wedding who takes his insulin by nose spray.

I bet that’d make his snuff a bit claggy. 😉

ratadog

Nasal insulin has been around for at least a couple of years as part of research projects. I think there was one going on in the North East and Novo Nordisk are based in Scandanavia and may well have research projects going on there as well.

There was an inhaled insulin on the market here about 8 years ago but Pfizer pulled it because no one bought it. You still needed to take injections of long acting insulin, it was hideously expensive, effectiveness deteriorated when you had a cold (which was just when you needed more of the stuff) and there was a non significant increase in the incidence of lung cancer (6 in 5000 instead of 1 in 5000). Furthermore most people who were interested were thinking of the small plastic inhalers used by asthmatics. What they actually got was a device that was about the size of a decent sized thermos and for which a degree in engineering or a life long love of meccano was desirable although not essential.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘So, today I got my insulin pump’ is closed to new replies.