Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • So today I bumped into the guy who ripped me off for £1k…
  • Harry_the_Spider

A charlatan bathroom fitter had me for a grand in 2004 and today I bumped into him as he was manning a stall at the village fete.

First reaction was to drop him with a step in side kick to the balls and maybe a back fist to the nose if he was still standing. But this would have cost me my karate licence and probably my liberty.

Second reaction was to announce loudly what he had done.

Third reaction was to walk away.

I took option 3 but suspect that whilst option 1 would have been most satisfying option 2 would have been best.

I feel very uneasy now. Hence this post.

nemesis
    Free Member

Option 4 – wee in his shoes and pwn him with bombers.

Tsk, this place 🙄 going to the dogs.

chewkw
    Free Member

What is he selling?

Ask him if he would pay you back that £1k?

If not then announce to everyone that he rip you off but you need evidence or he can sue you.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Option 2 sounded like a sane point of call.

Out him and have his presence known to all the locals what he had done.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Tsk, this place going to the dogs.

Not really, the issue os being discussed online instead of face to face, seems about right for here. 😉

trademark
    Free Member

I admire your willpower Harry, I couldn’t have walked away from that situation!

shifter
    Free Member

I would have spent all day there. Asking him where my money is every time a customer arrived.

Harry_the_Spider

I admire your willpower Harry, I couldn’t have walked away from that situation!

Wife and kids with me in a packed marquee.

Wife didn’t spot him. If she had she would have dropped him with a step in side kick to the balls and maybe a back fist to the nose if he was still standing. This would have cost her karate licence and her liberty.

Klunk
    Free Member

not even an “oi! you got that grand you owe me?” 😕

CheesybeanZ

Your a better man than me .

billysugger
    Free Member

I’d regret doing nothing more than doing something. You had your chance to make a difference in the world and instead you went home for some internet sympathy

Harry_the_Spider

Your a better man than me .

I don’t feel that way at the moment.

CountZero

It’s one of those spur of the moment things, I think I’d have thought about it for a bit, got the phone out and camera ready, gone back and taken a fairly obvious photo and said great, thank you very much.
    When asked why, tell him that it’s now possible to show everyone on Facebook who it was who ripped you off for £1k back in ’04, revenge being a dish best served cold, then walk away.

Harry_the_Spider

You had your chance to make a difference in the world and instead you went home for some internet sympathy

eh?

chewkw
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

You had your chance to make a difference in the world and instead you went home for some internet sympathy

eh? [/quote]

I think he meant you could have hammered the bloke there and then to teach that bloke a lesson.

billysugger
    Free Member

You could have at least had a word and made the conman feel uncomfortable to look in your eyes while telling you why he stole your money, at most you could have got a grand of pain but you decided to come on this forum full of ponsey handwringers so one of them could tell you that you took the high road and did the right thing. No offence like. It’s just this forum in general.

Think I’m done with it

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

5 years ago I would have walked away, currently I would have not walked away..

Harry_the_Spider

Think I’m done with it

off you pop.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You should have helped yourself to whatever he was selling, while looking straight at him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Slat/hoof interface, shirley?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Aren’t martial arts touted as being good for confidence?

Harry_the_Spider

and control

yossarian
    Free Member

Yup control.

Don’t beat yourself up for what you could have done. Yes, it would have felt great to have kicked his head in. For about 10 seconds. Yes it would have felt great to call him out. That would most likely have led to kicking his head in.

If you haven’t got your grand back in a decade then it can’t have been ‘that’ important.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Wait…you can have a karate licence?

eh?

I think he is calling you a pussy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Only if you are leathal because they can charge you a registration fee.

Difficult one but IME you always feel bad after having done nothing

Personally, and i know this will come as a surprise to everyone, but I would have lacked the self control to do nothing

Public humiliation of at least one of us [ possibly both] would have been my option

pitduck
    Free Member

good for confidence?…and control…and dancing 😆

Harry_the_Spider

Wait…you can have a karate licence?

Insurance etc. You need one to compete and do gradings.

They also weed out the sort of idiot who loses control and gives somebody a very public beating next to the tombola stall.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Should have given him a fast uraken and walked off before he hit the floor.

jekkyl

We need the story of the rip off please.

ctk
    Free Member

I’m assuming if he had a stall he’s contactable?

I think I would have had a chat with him. Or more likely send the Mrs!

Harry_the_Spider

Did a crap job and ran half way through. Couldn’t contact him (dead mobile, website down etc).

chewkw
    Free Member

Whatever you do you need to do it to a value of £1k plus some other inconveniences that is associated with £1k. Not more and not less.

Go back next week and do it right this time.

nickc

I was going to say you did the right thing. You are the better man.

You should have helped yourself to whatever he was selling, while looking straight at him.

But this runs a very very close second

monksie
    Free Member

“Go back next week and do it right this time.”

You’re not quite grasping the concept of ‘village fete’.

Dark-Side

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Slat/hoof interface, shirley?

Or asked Flashy to do it in his special shoes.

jekkyl

so you didn’t speak to him at all? not even a snidey ‘do you still fit bathrooms?’

Kryton57

Just out of interest, what was he selling?

I’m interested to know if you’d have ended up with Something you could have sold in the classifieds, for which I think you’ve missed a trick to get your money back and made a profit.

km79
    Free Member

Wow, first you let a guy get away with ripping you off for that length of time and then secondly done nothing when the opportunity fell at your feet?

No wonder so many people get away with ripping folk off for a living. I’d be too ashamed of myself to even share that story.

Kryton57

It could be worse, he could have put it on a public forum…. Oh, wait….

singletrackmind

you could have got your todger out and wee’d on his fairy cakes, if he was selling cakes.
    If , however he was manning the ‘rat up a drainpipe’ game there would have been enough ironing Alanis Morrissette would have been convinced she was right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘So today I bumped into the guy who ripped me off for £1k…’ is closed to new replies.