Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 323 total)
  • So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…
  • sadmadalan

Nuclear subs would no longer be welcome

And as such the bases would close with the loss of all the jobs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very few jobs at huge cost per job. The money spent on nuclear subs put eleswhere into the economy would support far more jobs

mogrim

The question I always find myself asking is that if Scotland’s such a burden, why does Westminster want to keep it part of the union?

Thing is, when you’re negotiating with other countries the bigger you are, the better – it gives you more options to play with. I personally think that Scottish independence would be a disaster for Scotland, for just this reason. Instead of being an important part of a large member of the EU it would become a small, marginal country far from the centre of power. (Whenever I read about European negotiations it’s always France/Germany, then UK/Italy/Spain, I rarely (if ever) get to find out what Eire’s opinion is…)

binners

Sssssssssshhhh. Don’t be letting uncomfortable old reality intrude into Alex’s Northern Utopia

The money spent on nuclear subs put eleswhere into the economy would support far more jobs in the South West of England

FTFY TJ

derekrides
    Free Member

Imv this is Cameron being quite clever and going for an AV style outcome.

As for the price of whiskey, that will depend on wether Scotland adopt the Euro and they will come under an enormous amount of political pressure to do precisely that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mogrim – on the other hand at the moment Scotland has no say in the EU at all – after independence it would have a small say.

An example – the common fisheries policy. Of great concern to Scotland. Last time it was renegotiated no Scottish politician was involved at all. Scotland had no voice in it. This is a part of the democratic deficit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Most of the points sadmadalan raises have been answered by the SNP or would have o be the subject of negotiation.

the EU one from the unionists amuses me. If Scotland would have to renegotiate then so would the rump UK. At the moment we are a member as the UK. After Scottish independence there would be no more UK and the two successor states would be in the same situation.

The SNP have taken advice which is that Scotland would continue as a member as it is.

cupra
    Free Member

In fact pretty much everybody I know with more than 2 brain cells are filled with horror at the idea.

Lots of people I know with many more than 2 brain cells love the idea.

duckman

Clubber; they get honking great tax breaks for planting huge swathes of tight packed forest that they then tear up leaving a trench system that supports nothing but water and midge. Wouldn’t benefit the newly free English government to pay it’s landowners to grow wood in another country would it? Likewise a deal to suit scottish fishermen might be nice (and overdue) rather than the trade off done with the Spanish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I personally think that Scottish independence would be a disaster for Scotland, for just this reason. Instead of being an important part of a large member of the EU it would become a small, marginal country far from the centre of power.

Aye dave not even being at the table when they discuss stuff…the sort of power Scotland can only achiever via the Union 🙄

FFS has any Country /leader ever been more marginalised from Europe than dave has made us?He did this to protect his chums in the City.

No offence but thats a very weak point you are making about influences there especially with qualified majority voting and the right to veto

sadmadalan

Most of the points sadmadalan raises have been answered by the SNP or would have o be the subject of negotiation.

TJ – where can I see these answers? Had a look and can’t find any answers – specifically I am after costs and who pays?

vorlich
    Free Member

Seems like an interesting subject to chat about I noticed a couple of Jock riders post on here, I wonder what they think?

We think you’re an absolute arse for referring to us as “jocks”

+1

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sadmadalan

Cost and who pays is going to have to be the subject of negotiation I think – You mean stuff like faslane?

Edit – the SNP website is rather thin on this – I have read stuff on it tho.

derekrides
    Free Member

vorlich – Member
    We think you’re an absolute arse for referring to us as “jocks”

+1

Well you’re of course welcome to think that, but it doesn’t stop me thinking of y’all as “jocks” which if I were going to be particularly impudent might prefix with the word ‘tight’ and suffixed by ‘gits’, but I’m not in this instance, but I just thought I’d let you know that for my personal ironic benefit.

I’m also mildly amused by your heightened sensitivity for attention seeking device.

I have however to ask the question why, when it is a common colloquialism, and not particularly malevolent, nothing wrong with the word Jock, particularly since large sections of an entire soon to be independent nation calls itself that or did last time I bothered to look. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

do you think of asians as **** afro caribbean as darkies or is it just just Jocks you mock for their nationality ..perhaps you call very Irsih person Paddy..either way other terms are easily interchangeable unless you want to look like an insensitve arse into moderate racial mockery/sterotypes. I know you wont loose any sleep over it which is why I said nothing originally – revelling in people asking you not to do this is quite low…do yo uoften refer to epoel by name sthey dont like whilst being mildly amused by your heightened sensitivity for attention seeking device.

deviant
    Free Member

I didnt think is was racism if the people on the receiving end are the same race?…Scots and Irish are white north europeans, same as most English….is there such a thing as ‘regionalism’ as i think that would be more appropriate!

derekrides
    Free Member

I find the whole artificially enhanced ‘sensitivity’ thing a complete joke to be honest and fools on the internet that propagate something they would’t question in real life total hypocrisy.

I don’t revel being in their company, either, there are plenty here who are not like that and probably don’t post for fear of falling fowl of you PC bigots.

So do one eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

I find the whole artificially enhanced ‘sensitivity’ thing a complete joke

What’s that then?

binners

Regionalist!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bastid – little sneaky southern basitid!

binners

In the interests of regional abusive balance

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Scotland is minted. England is skint. We’ll be just fine once we get rid of the dross.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I didnt think is was racism if the people on the receiving end are the same race?…

You forgot:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah well – there goes what was a reasonable discussion.

duckman

derekrides – Member

Starting to flap a wee bit now, all you are doing is just digging yourself a deeper hole. And as for your fools on the internet quote. I would pull you up for it if you said that to me face to face. Nice touch you using the word bigot; oh the ironing!

mogrim

Aye dave not even being at the table when they discuss stuff…the sort of power Scotland can only achiever via the Union
    FFS has any Country /leader ever been more marginalised from Europe than dave has made us?He did this to protect his chums in the City.

No offence but thats a very weak point you are making about influences there especially with qualified majority voting and the right to veto

Not really, just because the current government is anti-EU doesn’t mean that the next one will be – and there’s nothing to stop an anti-EU government being elected in an independent Scotland either.

(I’m avoiding the jock/****/whatever argument above!)

willard

So, would the Queen keep Balmoral then?

Bruce

Could the North of England not seak to become Scots, we would be free from rule from London and obtain Scotish rights of way.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

willard – yes – SNP policy is to remain a constitutional monarchy

Mogrim – see my point abou the fishing negotiations – no representation from scotland,

binners

So, would the Queen keep Balmoral then?

I’d imagine so. She owns it, after all. Unless Alex is planning on leaving the Commonwealth and launching a Robert Mugabe style land grab/ethnic cleansing campaign

willard

So, Queen as head of state, separate country… That would mean that you would be independent, yet in the Commonwealth. So sporting event would not really change that much apart from the Olympics where you would field your own team right?

binners

Could we not make fish quota negotiating an Olympic Sport? Perhaps a newly independent Scotland could up its ante to truly compete at international level with France and Spain?

Hang on a minute. I’ve just realised…. Its Fish Quota ignoring that France and Spain are world class at, isn’t it? Which would suggest they’re probably shite at fish quota negotiating

derekrides
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    derekrides – Member
    Starting to flap a wee bit now,

Nope, surprised I’m still here tbh, expecting another ban at any second.

And it’s urine, pee or piss, only jocks use the term ‘wee’

Junkyard
    Free Member

and there’s nothing to stop an anti-EU government being elected in an independent Scotland either.

yes but you note the elected bit and it still counters the point about Scotland having no influence in EU that it answered…they dont have any now elected govt they did not vote for who has annoyed everyone in europe…mm democracy in action .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

and there’s nothing to stop an anti-EU government being elected in an independent Scotland either.

Very unlikely tho ad the anti EU sentiment is not nearly so strong up here altho it does exist

LHS
    Free Member

Only solution is to make London a nice little Principality or similar where prosperity, diversity and culture run free and let the rest of the heathen, unkept trolls run around in the rest of the country.

Separate “Safe Zones” will be set-up in designated areas of oustanding natural beauty where the educated folk from London can spend their weekends partaking in outdoor activities free from the vile horribleness of the local population.

The national lottery could be adopted such that weekly one of the “others” from outside the magnificence of London could win the opportunity to come inside the golden gates and have a wash, haircut, trip to a museum and some sushi.

deviant
    Free Member

LHS….i like that, make it happen.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Scotland is minted. England is skint.

How d’you work that out then? 😕

slackin101
    Free Member

don simon – Member

I’d say give them independence on the single condition of enforced repatriation.

If you refer to two way repatriation then it’s a deal. Too many Nigel’s up here for my liking… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…’ is closed to new replies.