• This topic has 94 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • So, this La La Land fillum…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Winning all the Baftas, shoe-in for the Oscars. Gorgeous Ryan and fish-face from Birdman. Singing n dancin.
    Who’s going to see it and are you going wiv a lady?

SaxonRider

I haven’t seen it yet, but plan to. I think it looks excellent, and did when I first saw the trailers for it.

mrmoofo

I’ve seen it …
    And it is indulgent rubbish …
    Cliched self congratulatory Hollywood luuvie fest ,,,,
    With nothing original, clever or thought provoking ….

jekkyl

T2 looks a better option.

I’d rather poke hot knitting needles in my eyes.

Mrs STR likes a musical, she came back a bit unimpressed and bemoaning that it dragged on a tad

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I went to see it wiv a lady on Saturday. I found it fairly boring, she really enjoyed it. Ironically it was me who wanted to see it and she initially wasn’t keen at all.

Wookster

Having given it a moments consideration…my position remains that I would rather poo in my hands and clap than see it….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BTW if you want a real tear-jerker it’s got to be Lion – I have never struggled so hard not to sob in a cinema!

DezB
    Free Member

Oh good, not just me then. I love a good film, don’t care what genre, but this just doesn’t appeal.
    Yes, jekkyl, T2 was jolly entertaining.

mrmoofo

T2 was far better than I expected!

DezB
    Free Member

Nearly took my son to see Lion – thought he might find it boring, so when went and saw Lego Batman at the Imax. Gawd it was attrocious. Not as bad as the first Lego film, but damn shite. Lion would’ve been a better bet.

Cougar

T2 was jolly entertaining.

Yeah. Schwarzenegger was really good in that.

arrpee
    Free Member

It needed more J. K. Simmons. All films need more J. K. Simmons.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love this sort of film, but I’ve tried twice to sit and watch this and had to turn it off. So much hype, so little substance.

chiefgrooveguru

I saw it at the weekend. I thought it was brilliant and I’ve never before been wrong about anything.

SaxonRider

I’ve seen it …
    And it is indulgent rubbish …
    Cliched self congratulatory Hollywood luuvie fest ,,,,

Having watched the director’s preceding film, ‘Whiplash’, I have a hard time believing he could create what you describe.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought it was brilliant and I’ve never before been wrong about anything

You’re a girlie, right?

kilo

I quite liked it and I’m miserable and hate most things (according to mrs kilo)

johnners
    Free Member

I thought it was just plain irritating. Now even the slightly fey angle of Ryan Gosling’s left hand at on the poster annoys me.

Not my tempo.

Harry_the_Spider

Did you fill a tissue Ernie?

isto
    Free Member

I have seen it and I liked it and am not a girlie… although I think both me and the wife had a crush on Ryan after watching it. I am not hugely into musicals but appreciate them if they are good. I thought the music was really refreshing for a musical and the way it was shot was amazing. It is by the guy who did Whiplash after all.

I have also seen T2 and loved it. I would recommend both. La La Land was the perfect Yin to T2’s Yang.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you fill a tissue Ernie?

If you’re talking about La La Land admittedly Emma Stone is a right little darling but I ain’t Pee-wee Herman ffs. If you’re talking about Lion I managed to camouflage my stifled sobs with the occasional cough.

binners

The Mash articulated by view on it perfectly

I’d rather remove my own kidneys with a teaspoon.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I saw it. Was relatively keen to see it, despite not being into musicals at all. I saw it with my wife and we both thought it was OK and nothing more. I’m annoyed that I paid to see it and the end was unreasonable.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of proper musicals to watch, some absolutely incredible dancing choreography.

This looked on the outset to be a pale imitation, looks like I was right.

jekkyl

Something ’bout those little pills
    Unreal, the thrills, they yield, until
    They kill, a million braincells
    I’m going down to…..

I hope to see you soon in …….

prettygreenparrot

The awards and nominations are a bit over the top. It is a very enjoyable film despite being a musical though.

CountZero

Nearly took my son to see Lion – thought he might find it boring, so when went and saw Lego Batman at the Imax. Gawd it was attrocious. Not as bad as the first Lego film, but damn shite. Lion would’ve been a better bet.

On the other hand, people whose opinion I trust rate it pretty highly, so we’ll see.

DezB
    Free Member

Green Velvet? Don’t think he’s involved.

Plenty of proper musicals to watch

2 off the top of my head – Wizard of Oz and One From the Heart (of which the female lead is slightly better looking 😀

DezB
    Free Member

On the other hand, people whose opinion I trust rate it pretty highly, so we’ll see.

You’ll love it mate. Cracking film, all the emotion of de Niro at his prime.

rone

It’s pretty good but typically over hyped Oscar fodder.

The director is only 31, so impressive. Whiplash was an even more impressive piece.

Time is better spent with Lion of the recent awards noms.

Slightly disagree, as the ending is the best thing about it which falls into the above category.

letmetalktomark

I watched it a few weeks ago.

I throughly enjoyed it.

Drac

Golden rule: If it wins loads of awards, especially at the Oscars it’ll be shite.

binners

Golden rule number 2: If the Guardian give it five stars then it’ll inevitably be about as enjoyable and entertaining as watching a family member die

chewkw
    Free Member

You are better off spending that money on pizza.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whilst I’m not taking anything away from the producer or the actors, there is absolutely no way la la land comes close to the indisputably amazing Vera Ellen.. oh, yellow shoes too..

[video]https://youtu.be/meO3ims3GvU[/video]

binners

To all those going into raptures about musicals, can I just ask you one question….

On average, how many times a day do you phone your mum?

😀

Muke
    Free Member

🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s very funny.

As for phoning Mum, twice a week.

rone

Golden rule: If it wins loads of awards, especially at the Oscars it’ll be shite.

Hmm you’d be writing off Godfather II, The Departed , Schindler’s List, No Country for Old Men, Spotlight and Gladiator.

Which would not go down well with me.

However, Titanic makes your golden rule partly true.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘So, this La La Land fillum…’ is closed to new replies.