Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • So they're planning to build a skatepark in the local playing fields…
  • crazy-legs

They’ve already put in a mini BMX track – it’s not great but hey, it’s somewhere for the kids to play. That’s over the far side of the big playing fields right at the front of the row of terraced houses where I live so it’s quite out the way and hasn’t really attracted any complaints. Now they (the council) want to put in a quarter pipe and a couple of skate ramps. I have no problem with this, in fact I think it’s a good idea. There’s a little mobile unit currently in the fields with some plans and pictures of how it would look and a councillor and youth worker on hand to answer peoples concerns.

I’ve just been for a quick look and most of the residents are over there YELLING at these poor people, in fact the councillor walked away from one mad old biddy, she screamed “COME BACK HERE WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU”. His calm reply was he wasn’t being talked to, he was being yelled at. Safe to say I think there’s a bit of local oppostion to these plans to actually give the kids something to do. 🙄

I would post a few pics except I’ve lent my camera to a mate…

And much more relevant to STW, what tyres for a quarter pipe? 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some people just hate to see kids having fun, and they hate it even more if they have fun where they can see it. 🙁

jj55

Its amazing how people treat kids in playing fields, there are a high proportion who buy homes near these facilities and then do all they can to get the kids out of the way. We had this in my home town a few years ago, and it was one of the reasons I became a Town Councillor. I must say that they way some people treat councillors is absolutely appalling, this country has totally lost sight of the value of it’s local minor politicians. After 6 years I’m finding it difficult to find the energy to keep going! My advice is don’t let the whinging moaners get away with it, if you support something publicly say so, otherwise the whingers will get their way when apathy lets them! See …. I’m off again! 😯

julianwilson
    Free Member

Our nimby’s/council are just as bad. No actually worse. A few years ago someone tried to plan a skate/bmx park under the 8 lane A38+slip roads nearby. (Marsh Mills if anyone knows it, formerly Europe’s most accident-prone roundabout in the 80’s 8) ) The site is at least 150m as the crow flies from any dwelling. It is immediately adjacent to a main line railway, 70mph dual carriageway plus flyover sliproads (makes 8 lanes altogether), sewage works, suermarket and speedway track, all of which are between the site and any dwellings.

And yet the council turned it down because apparently local residents feared it was going to be too noisy. FFS.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Where is this?

Kit
    Free Member

The outdoor skate park that finally got built in Edinburgh had proposals to be cited in 2 or 3 previous locations, but had to be abandoned due to objections from local residents. The upper-middle classes clearly thought kids should be seen but not heard/riding/skating/enjoying themselves.

_tom_
    Free Member

And much more relevant to STW, what tyres for a quarter pipe?

Primo Wall 2.1 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Same thing happened in our village. 2 or 3 nimbys kicked up so much fuss they pulled the plans despite a pretty vocal set of local supporters. Depressing, especially as kids around here desperately need more facilities.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Marsh Mills? Plymouth, innit.

Although since a dead body (of a poor soul who died from heroin cut with cement) was found there and the national trust got funny because its one of the pedestrian routes to a big stately home they run (and yet is all derilict an ting, there has been some movement. Because the site is owened by and borders land owned by about eight different agencies it is like trying to push water uphill though!

sambob
    Free Member

Which park is this? High lea?

MikeG

Yep they’re planning one in our village as well, currently a massive grass field covered in dog eggs with a run down slide and swings at one end and a fenced off toddler area which is really good and our 2 love but gets used by the teenagers at night so is always getting damaged and covered in broken beer bottles etc.

Plans for a 35x10m skatepark in the middle with a network of paths, play areas and some planted gardens etc. I think the plans look great and can’t wait but some of the locals are really against it.

Had the leaflet telling us about it through the door a few weeks ago, the next night theres some old biddy knocking on the door asking us to sign a petition against it. She didn’t look impressed when I told her I was in favor of it and couldn’t wait to have a go on it myself 🙂

jj55

Elections are coming up, many local Parish & Town Councils never have elections for their local councillors because not enough people apply to be one. In these instances you automatically become a councillor nif you applied to be one in advance of the election! It’s not as onerous as you think, all you need is a passion for what it right for your patch! Many councils are crying out for ‘younger’ councillors, on my little town council we have councillors who are over 80 and never say a bl00dy word and just sit there taking the place of someone who would be good for the community! Get involved and have your say!

wrightyson
    Free Member

It was planned for a little town where my parents live, they got the hump even tho its 3/400 metres down a field from their house, entrance to the field however was 10 away. Anyhoo its been there a couple of yrs now, never had any bother and the cheeky feckerz now openly admit they love taking the grandkids down on their scooters 🙄

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Where is the OP?

project
    Free Member

I hate it when i see young kids riding bikes and skateboard with such skill i havent or never had the chance of getting, especially when they cant aford a belt to hold up their jeans.

Some moaning old bugger will discover CRESTED NEWTS there and that will stop all building sadly.

Best of luck to the kids.

Drac

Squashed here too as it may attract teenagers and people 1/4 mile away with no view of the area say it’ll spoil their area. 😯

crazy-legs

Where is the OP?

New Mills, sort of S. Manchester, edge of the Peak District.

My next door neighbour is a right sour faced old bat who’s forever moaning about, well, everything. Especially my parking (which is perfect except that my car is apparently “too big” and it makes life difficult for her poor daughter who requires both parents to come out and help her park her Yaris in a space which, thanks to my car blocking it, is now a mere 12m long instead of 15m…but anyway, I digress).

She was outside earlier as I got back from a ride and asked me if I’d been over there. I said no, asked what it was and she started going off on one about “bloody kids”, skatepark, the noise will be terrible, vandalism, they’ll all hang round doing drugs, drinking, there’ll be no peace rant rant.

All the residents want the kids to have opportunities and things to do. They’d just rather the opportunities and things to do were as far away from them as possible. 🙄

I still haven’t been over to actually ride this little BMX track, I must get over there tomorrow evening after work.

jam-bo

Julian – used to ride there about 15yrs ago. There was a great step-up. Always thought it’d be a good place for a BMX track. The big wallride on embankment was fun on the way home too…

nbt

I did offer you a P&S camera so you had *something* to use 🙂

Stockport are building a massive BMX track (proper track, not a ramp park thingie) in Adswood – here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=388242&Y=388555&A=Y&Z=115&ax=388242&ay=388555

nbt

No Sam, it’s not high lea, it’s on the other side of the river, near the sweetie factory

julianwilson
    Free Member

jambo, step up is still there but you need to be 9 stone and going some speed to get much air off it. 😳 Being under the expanse of flyovers it never gets rained on though and is well hard packed, so very hard to dig. New plan is to make some sort of comunity art space with or without jumps and ‘managed’ grafitti space. A friend is involved in the artsy bit.

jam-bo

jambo, step up is still there but you need to be 9 stone and going some speed to get much air off it.

i was lighter back then…

phatstanley
    Free Member

The outdoor skate park that finally got built in Edinburgh had proposals to be cited in 2 or 3 previous locations, but had to be abandoned due to objections from local residents. The upper-middle classes clearly thought kids should be seen but not heard/riding/skating/enjoying themselves.

no kidding.
    reasons cited incl. the notion that sk8 parks attract drug dealers, thieves and paedophiles.

that being said, the resultant sk8park in saughton is SHA—WEEEEEEEEEEEEET to the power of psick. 😀
    getting some good commisioned graf on there before the numpties started tagging everything (badly) was also a very good move.

the tram nonsense, on the other hand….

MoreCashThanDash

I know New Mills quite well from work, kids there need some support I reckon.

Similar in our village – plans for a skate park rejected, then they moan about the kids hanging around with nothing to do.

Mind you, more people turned out at a meeting to object to a proposed Indian restaurant than turned out to protest at a new open cast coal mine – strange folks round here!

(I’m in favour of the pit, the indian and the skatepark, btw. Some local jobs, something for the local youths, and the only local amenity we actually need!)

Northwind

In my village the locals are cheering on proposals to build a big new Tesco and carpark (possibly a 24-hour one) because at least it’ll get rid of the playing fields that the kids play football on and make all that noise. Genuinely mental, some people.

Bunnyhop

crazy-legs – I’m looking forward to having a go when its up and running.

The skate/bike park in our village is ace. The teenagers use it well into the night, however there is quite a lot of rubbish left over in the morning.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

The skate park in our local park (Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow) is a great place. Always busy with everyone from tiny kids to amazing guys who I can watch for hours. Must admit, if Im out doing a ride through the park and there is noone around, Im in there like a whippet lol. Great fun and have always thought it must give the best bang for buck in terms of the amenity it provides. Kids hang down there all day in the summer and all seems good with no trouble or drugs or anything.

bampot
    Free Member

Is that the original Kelvingrove from the 70’s? Guessing not… but that place was sooo much fun. Remember feeling like a legend for getting my red badge(at all of 15 yo :-)). All this talk of skateparks is too much. I’m off to my local skatepark/12′ pool tonight for a session! (God bless summer evenings in Oz)

konabunny
    Free Member

The upper middle classes of Edinburgh think that playing children should be heard enjoying themselves…by their housemasters and matrons.

crazy-legs

Bit more news on this.
    Just got home from work on the bike and as I pulled up to my front door my neighbour is standing at her door chatting with a woman from down the street.
    “Ah, you’re just in time to sign this petition against the skate park” she says, thrusting the paper under my nose. Added to it by basically saying that anyone who didn’t sign it would be made to suffer, she was already talking about some sort of compensation scheme to “recover the value of her house” should the skate park go ahead, the insinuation being that anyone in favour of it would be pursued for costs! 😯 In other words I was press-ganged into signing. Frankly I was too tired to care, I don’t believe for a second that they could actually lawfully do that. And one of the neighbours is already a total pain in the arse so I signed, just to try and maintain a peaceful life. But seriously, what are these people on?! None of them are ever asking FOR things but they’ll be the first to protest AGAINST them. 🙁

Now I just have to write to the council explaining the tactics they’re using to get peoples signatures on it and telling them that my signature doesn’t count…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Got to love today’s society!

joolsburger
    Free Member

What do you mean made to suffer? Where the hell do you live FFS?

Cougar

Wow.

I’d have told her to ‘off and reported her to the police for threatening behaviour. Or at least, I’d like to think I would.

We’ve got a little sk8 park in the middle of town. All the kids that used to tear up the surrounding area on skateboards, BMXes and trial bikes are now tearing up the skate park on skateboards, BMXes and trial bikes instead. It’s fantastic for all concerned and unconcerned.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Is that the original Kelvingrove from the 70’s? Guessing not… but that place was sooo much fun. Remember feeling like a legend for getting my red badge(at all of 15 yo :-)). All this talk of skateparks is too much. I’m off to my local skatepark/12′ pool tonight for a session! (God bless summer evenings in Oz)

It is the same place. You would love it even more now…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

We got a new skate park in our local town. Best thing that has happened in decades! Thouroughly brilliant facility. I only wish there were more.

terrahawk
    Free Member

A skatepark in New Mills? Coool. next time I need a bag of skunk I’ll know where to go ;0)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Skaters are one of the most creative sets of kids you’ll find. I hate the way they get stereotyped. Some in Newcastle exhibit the kind of entrepreneurship and community spirit Cameron would cream himself over. They teach younger kids how to do tricks, their informal norms and conventions mean there is rarely any bother with other people, and they organise mini-tournaments to pay for building materials to improve spot a spot they’ve developed n some derelict land.

One of the most popular spots in Newcastle is the steps outside the law courts on the quayside. They’ve got an arrangement with the courts’ security to use it after hours – if they were up to no good there is no chance that would happen. At Five Bridges in Gateshead (a skate plaza developed with and for skaters in collaboration with the council) the old people nearby complain when the skaters aren’t there. One old woman phoned the police to get the chavs moved on so the skaters would return. She said they made her feel safe because they were occupying what was a very intimidating space when not being used. The local beat cop now gives his mobile number to the skateboarders and they ring him at the first sign of trouble from trouble makers.

There’s another group who do photography and make films – some of the stuff is superb and wouldn’t look out of place in a top magazine.

crazy-legs

I think having a skate park would be a very positive move. The police would be monitoring it quite closely at first which means more patrols which means any real troublemakers will go somewhere else. As CaptJon says ^^, most of the kids in the park aren’t the slightest bother to anyone, occasionally there’s a few problems down by the lock-up garages but the police are usually there pretty quickly – the station is just round the corner and I’m sure my neighbour has them on speed dial. First sign of trouble and she’s out there yelling at them to move on and dragging the poor police round.

It’s small town NIMBYism at it’s worst; fear of the unknown, Daily Wail style “put the fear of God up everyone”. They’re kids and they’re playing in a park so they must be up to no good – the value of your house has just gone down and they’ll probably give you cancer too. And having kids in a park means every bush will be crawling with paedophiles waiting to pounce on them.

/Daily Wail

CaptJon
    Free Member

Crazy-Legs, if the local council want some academic research to back up their plans drop me an email (in profile).

crazy-legs

Will mail you tomorrow from work. Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘So they're planning to build a skatepark in the local playing fields…’ is closed to new replies.