Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • So then, SPOTY takes another twist or two in recent weeks
  • AlexSimon

I’m thinking that the olympic vote will be split among many, and all the cycling fans will vote for Wiggo. Last year we saw that cycling fans are passionate enough to swing it.

The people who really like Wiggo will vote lots and he’ll get it.

my 2c

trail_rat
    Free Member

well proven fact that the folk in my office struggle to remember past last night ……

first thing i heard when i walked in this morning was ” thats murray secured sports personality of the year , it has to be him”

but im backing wiggo .

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t Wiggins winning the TDF a bit like saying Chris Hoy won the team sprint? Both are team efforts aimed at getting a nominated rider over the line in the shortest overall time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ever the devil eh colin !

CaptJon
    Free Member

We’ve come a long way: in 1997 Greg Rusedski won it by getting to the final of the US Open. This year there will be lots of people who achieved far more and won’t get on the shortlist.

grum
    Free Member

It’s quite funny how people GAF about the SPOTY. Not saying I’m immune to it either – but let’s face it it’s a pretty meaningless title, and the programme is usually cringe personified. WIggo should still get it though.

There’s a lot of well meant, but potentially patronising and condescending comments about paralympians.

+1

I think the paralympics is a truly fantastic thing, but for various reasons it just isn’t as high a level of competition as the regular olympics – less participants in all the sports (especially with the different categories of disability) so less competition for places in teams, less money available for intense training programmes etc.

Saying ‘yes but they’re all so terribly brave’ and pretending it’s just the same is patronising in the extreme IMO.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how ever the key for me was the news saying “murray emulated fred perrys 1937 victory”

at the end of the day at least murrays got a bit of personality and id be happy for him to win over a pansyballer but wiggos done something thats never been done before , something folks said he would never do when brailsford announced it back then (my self included)

and hes got personality about him speaking his mind rather than what his publicist has to him to say

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘So then, SPOTY takes another twist or two in recent weeks’ is closed to new replies.