• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So the stem bolts in my Thomson stem are rounded?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

What do I do next? Please help 😀

sharkattack

That’s an excuse to get some ti replacements from Uberbike

Stevet1
    Free Member

Are all 4 rounded? if not you could try tightening the good ones up to relieve pressure on the rounded one(s).
    And don’t be so ham-fisted next time…

scruff
    Free Member

Can you tighten one up to loosen the other?

trail_rat
    Free Member

disposable slightly over size torx bit hammered in would be my first port of call.

richmtb

disposable slightly over size torx bit hammered in would be my first port of call.

This

Its stem bolts so they shouldn’t be massively tight in the first place.

If they are 4mm hex bolts then T-25 torx should be tight enough to get them loose

kerley
    Free Member

I admittedly do over tighten stuff but the move to smaller bolts on Thomson stems must make this more likely and I have done exactly the same.
    I cut a slot into the head and then undid with a screwdriver

Think the logic is that the head will round off before it is tight enough to do any damage to carbon steerer/bar.

teadrinker
    Free Member

That’s an excuse to get some ti replacements from Uberbike

I actually took this as an excuse to purchase a whole new bike. Not even joking, the headset came loose and I went to tighten it and then realised the stem bolts had rounded. My lbs is an evans so had a chat with them, came away unimpressed and just ordered a new bike. Now need to strip this one to sell it. In my defense though I was considering a change, I took this as a sign. I will have a look at the torx route and then if not I’ll try cutting into the bolt and using ascrewdriver, thanks all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I admittedly do over tighten stuff but the move to smaller bolts on Thomson stems must make this more likely and I have done exactly the same.
    I cut a slot into the head and then undid with a screwdriver

Think the logic is that the head will round off before it is tight enough to do any damage to carbon steerer/bar.”

NO NO NO AND NO

if your rounding bolts your just being a hamfisted oaf. theres no other reason especially on a thomson.

sharkattack

Nice bike buying logic.

If the stem in question is 50mm I’ll give you a tenner for it as is.

onandon
    Free Member

How the Christ do you round off bolts on a stem ? That’s just mental.

kerley
    Free Member

if your rounding bolts your just being a hamfisted oaf. theres no other reason especially on a thomson.

There is a reason on a Thomson due to the very small bolts they use (they are around 3mm aren’t they? That is very small for a stem bolt and many stems use 5mm bolts)

I have NEVER rounded an allen bolt other then the new Thomson bolts so although I like things tight I know when to stop.

Northwind

If the question is “Aargh I’ve rounded off these bolts what do I do” the answer is basically never “get some extractors”. Because anyone that’s rounded off a stem bolt is going to end up with holes drilled everywhere but the bolt, and then with a snapped extractor in the bolt.

Hammer in a torq, you probably only need to shift the bolts on one side this way, once they’re loose the rest should come more easily. Penetrating oil everywhere, obviously.

Thomson, you can probably find a replacement faceplate easily because of their consumable faceplate bullshit, so if in doubt, I’d sacrifice that over the other bits but it shouldn’t be necessary

tmb467
    Free Member

By not inserting the Allen key sufficiently deep – probably due to crud in the hole

Not by overtightening I’d hope

teadrinker
    Free Member

your just being a hamfisted oaf

This so applies to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

more than 6nm it would seem.

I guess thomson specify 4nm torque value.

Gunz
    Free Member

I carefully torque everything around my bars and stem and I’ve only rounded off Thompson bolts which I don’t believe are the toughest out there. I tried cutting a slot in them and hammering in a Torx but eventually drilled the heads off (v. carefully).
    Get the Uberbike ones.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So the stem bolts in my Thomson stem are rounded?’ is closed to new replies.