Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • So… The Shaun White era is over?
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

Very unexpected for him to not even get a medal…… A lot of pressure on him ???

The 15 year old Japanese kid was amazing…. So smooth and strong…….

Once again it was brilliant to watch !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on the basis of that one result it must be….

Didn’t see much of it but the quality of the snow looked shocking, same as the womens slopestyle which was looking dangerous in places. Wait until they are competing back in a proper winter resort.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Should not of cut his hair.

DezB
    Free Member

When he pulls the tricks, to me, he looks more stylish than all the others. Still goes higher. I reckon it was a bad day at the office and he’ll be back.

passtherizla
    Free Member

He’s got a bag of tricks so big and a private pipe to practice them in… He’ll come back stronger than ever.

On a style note though… I’m not a fan. Danny Davis is much nicer to watch. And a hand full of other riders that didn’t compete.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

He always scores well as his tricks are always high…. And yes Danny Davis is stylish….. As is the 15 yr old…. He could dominate in the future !

wrightyson
    Free Member

How his board/back/legs didn’t snap when he landed on the lip of the pipe was beyond me 😯
    I thought his whole run just looked erratic and tatty compared to the others.

CheesybeanZ

I think I read he had a plane ready to fly him back to new york for a celebration party for winning gold !!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I hope that’s true.. Do the athletes have to stick about once their events are finished?

CheesybeanZ

I don’t think the ones worth $40 million have to …

paulmgreen
    Free Member

There is a picture in The Times of his board on the lip and it’s bent 90 degrees ………

peterfile
    Free Member

Very unexpected for him to not even get a medal…… A lot of pressure on him ???

His first qualification run was absolutely incredible. It just seemed to deflate from there. I suspect a mix of having a crap pipe, pressure and bad day.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hmm misread that as having a crack pipe, which you probably dent our performance too

scruff
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone else would have landed those, that shows how good he is. iPod handled the conditions the best and got the tricks in and landed clean but as for style the Jap kids have it on lockdown. How old is the tomato now, is he 16 yet?

bombjack
    Free Member

Shaun will come back, whilst I don’t agree with the spin-to-win mentality that he possesses, he’s done more to keep snowboarding progressing than most, the fact he’s determined to keep competing in snow and skate shows a lot about his drive.
    And the first backside air on his qually run was immense.
    The quality of the pipe was shocking though, not what you’d expect for a world class event.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It made me 😯 when the commentator said the senior member of the jap team was 18 or 19 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I loved his 2nd run in the pipe. I thought he went for it and tried to head for new height and tricks, can’t deny he didn’t try. However I think his 1st run did him in, that bad landing on the lip I think hurt him more than we’ll know… It was a proper hard landing.

scuttler

Smack

I’d deffo blame the short hair. How the hell are you supposed to win a snowboard event looking like a biznissman even if $40mil says you are.

thepurist

How come they all seemed to have ear buds with red leads? Is that more sneaky product placement from Dr Dre?

tomhoward

That pic on the right makes him looks like he’s wee’d himself. Probably the embarassment of that caused him to have a bad day.

sharkbait
    Free Member

he can’t blame the pipe…… it was the same for everyone.

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s strictly correct.

I agree that the conditions were the same for everyone, however that doesn’t change the fact that competitors were not able to compete at the level they had trained too.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

The pipe did look bad, not 100% but didn’t one of the US guys just fall off because of a lump or something?

bombjack
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s strictly correct.

I agree that the conditions were the same for everyone, however that doesn’t change the fact that competitors were not able to compete at the level they had trained

This. The pipe wasn’t cut correctly, had kinks, and looked like it was made from slush puppy. Yes each rider had to ride it, but it looked like blind luck if you were re-entering on a decent patch of wall.
    The fact that DD washed out twice on the bottom just made me cringe.
    Those guys were at the top of their game and that pipe didn’t cut it, fair play to Ipod though, he was going to challenge whatever, its just a pity it was more about the facility than the riders

mikewsmith
    Free Member

treaclesponge – Member
    The pipe did look bad, not 100% but didn’t one of the US guys just fall off because of a lump or something?

Slush by the look of it, like hitting a mud hole on the trail really. Looking unpredictable it was showed how screwed the half pipe and slope style events were, not knowing if the landing from anything was good or not gave them no chance in showing what they could. For the women on skis the lack of speed was dangerous.

brakes
    Free Member

I heard he was struggling to see because of the glare off his own teeth.

weare138
    Free Member

I’d prefer to watch smooth, big airs with some stylist tricks thrown in than mctwist after mctwist after mctwist like one of the Japanese guys did.

plumber
    Free Member

I know he didn’t win but he still looked absolutely awesome to me

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

please, the guy is ginger, give him a break….

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d prefer to watch smooth, big airs with some stylist tricks thrown in than mctwist after mctwist after mctwist like one of the Japanese guys did.

It’s a competition though, they presumably want to win a medal rather than satisfy some of the spectators 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a competition though, they presumably want to win a medal rather than satisfy some of the spectators

And again, here’s where snowboardering encounters the problem that DH has been going through. Is it an image/lifestyle event for teh radd doodz, or is it a competitive sport?

mtbfix

Scored on artistic merit = not a sport.

peachos
    Free Member

I don’t really buy into the argument of the pipe condition/build quality – people were hitting 90+ in it so can’t have been that bad. Any pipe will always change or get cut up as the comp progresses, that’s just the nature of it. Perhaps a bit slushy due to warmer weather, but some of em were still getting 4m out of it. Also, pretty much the top six riders bettered their scores on their 2nd runs, so it is more a case of just getting used to the conditions really.

Anyway, great show – really enjoyed it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘So… The Shaun White era is over?’ is closed to new replies.