Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • So, the best weekend city breaks..
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

In January, in Europe, would be?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My choices….

Amsterdam – Great city. Go everywhere by bike. Yes, there’s a bit of sleaze, but the rest of the city is just marvellous.
    Boston – The most European of US cities. Nice short flights, Logan is very close to the city centre, great food, lots of history.
    Briançon – OK, maybe not exactly a big city, but the highest one in France and it has ski lift access to the Serre Che area!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Maastricht not somewhere you would think of but only. A 4 hour drive from Calais loads to do! Fantastic place!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Who you going with, the missus Or with mates or on your own
    WHat are you looking for

Madrid, Barcelona usually good in winter, get tickets to the footy,
    Rom, Berlin, Munich,

With the current fx rates what about Edinburgh or Glasgow nice trip away and support the uk economy

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Forgot to say, it’s for the Mrs’ 40th..
    Love Amsterdam, lived there for a couple of years, loved Barcelona, went for my 40th, so thinking somewhere new..

jekkyl

ROME! if you’ve never… it is brilliant, only rivals London in terms of tangible history.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Forgot to say, it’s for the Mrs’ 40th..

Well, why not push the boat out a little then?

New York.

(Many threads about what to see/do on here, but happy to repeat if needed.)

badlyoverdrawnboy
    Free Member

Just had 3 nights in Berlin last week, lots to see and do 90 minute flight from stansted, also cheaper compared to other capital cities i.e. London/Paris.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yeah Rome is quality been 3 times and wouldn’t hesitate to go again, but stay and eat out across the river in trastevere, far nice experience. Better accommodation, restaurants and bars.

Paris is ok for a getaway, Lisbon is cool, Tallinn Estonia is a nice weekend away , anywhere in Germany tends to be good. Interlaken for outdoors holiday is great,

The best weekend breaks I’ve had are definitely Munich, cologne, Berlin, Prague, Rome, Gothenburg. Reykjavik, Madrid, Bergen,

If you want a cheap weekend trip
    Check out Bilbao, Nuremberg, Eindhoven , Poland
    Ryanair and easyjet have returns in January for £40-50 to many destinations

Leku
    Free Member

Lisbon

Houns

Take her to that glass igloo hotel place in Finland? Bit nippy mind but you can spend all weekend in bed looking up at the stars/Northern lights

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Take her to that glass igloo hotel place in Finland? Bit nippy mind but you can spend all weekend in bed looking up at the stars/Northern lights

I’d do this, or an ice hotel if it’s not the same thing, the rest of Europe can wait.

steveoath
    Free Member

Stockholm or Gothenberg. Quick flights, great country, nice people

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Gothenburg in January blows IMHO .

Istanbul for me ( I know I know) but it’s where I would like to go

tuboflard

Another vote for Bilbao. City centre close to the airport, nice hotels, great food and pintxos culture. Guggenheim well worth the visit, and a few other things in the vicinity to do. Stopped here the last time I went, very nice hotel if you can look past the themed room concept http://www.caravan-cinema.com/en/

lunge

Rome or Munich for me.

hammerite
    Free Member

Lisbon. Fantastic place, lots of history, nice waterfront, reasonable January climate, very relaxed, good food, good drinking (ginginha), tram rides are cool, etc…

Lots of flight options too.

colournoise

Just back from a city break in Stockholm. Beautiful city, great people, touch expensive. Would definitely go again though.

Edinburgh. Possibly my favourite city anywhere.

PMK2060

We went to Bratislava a few weeks back for 3 nights. It is only a small city but we enjoyed it. We also spent the day in Vienna which is only a 45 minute train ride from Bratislava. Of the two we preferred Bratislava.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

New York.

Nope..

Been twice, once ace,- this year.. once, er, not so… 4 years ago, honeymoon vs Hurricane Sandy..

But thanks all.. I’ll go have a look see.

colp

Munich in January is lovely, walk in the Englischer Garten, nice meal, few mass of Augustiner. Train down to Garmisch for a day’s skiing?

13thfloormonk

Not seeing much love for Bologna, but I’ve been looking at a trip there early February, quite fancy it, seems like it doesn’t need the weather, good food, Ferrari museum, interesting/old architecture.

Can’t get much bloody cheaper than £600 though, my wife has high standards of hotels 🙁

geoffj

Lucca (fly to Pisa) or Lisbon

I was going to suggest Como (fly to Milan), but I believe they have issues with refugees trying to cross the border into Switzerland at the moment.

peajay

Belfast, was there last week and loved it, loads to see and plenty history!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Dublin or Bordeaux

Caher

Marrakech

kilo

Tallinn is nice
    Cork
    Derry is on my list to do
    Liked Bergamo as well

stewartc
    Free Member

Reykyavik, its winter so you may as well winter.
    If you like saunas etc a weekend in Jurmala in Latvia is recommended.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Prague. The best beer in Europe, lovely historic city with lots of small side streets you can get lost in and potential surprises at every turn, as well as lots of little bars selling great beer at cheap prices. Good food at reasonable prices. All the boxes required for a good city break ticked.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK. Understand re NYC.

Boston still an option? It’s mid haul, rather than a proper long haul, great place.

From the above, Stockholm is lovely, especially in winter. Ditto Reykjavik.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Bruge

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Me and ‘er indoors went to Venice in January one year.

Venice, that’s supposed to be a sewage-smelling, overcrowded rip-off in the summer months.

It was fairly quiet, and we were blessed with dry, foggy weather that turned every twilight into a sequence from The Third Man.

Worth considering.

Would also recommend Bilbao. Stunning topography, amazing food and a really elegant cityscape. Actually preferred it to the more celebrated San Sebastian on a recent visit to the Basque Country.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dubrovnik.

Carcassonne.

Paisley.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve lived and worked in Spain and Spaniards annoy me so it would have to be somewhere northern. We spent last weekend in Copenhagen and loved it but two days was enough. I’d like to try Stockholm next.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Göteborg isn’t bad as long as you realise it’s January and plan your visit around the fact that it’s going to be fairly cold and wet and pack accordingly.

I would imagine Stockholm is very similar. But haven’t been there in January. Only December.

Alex

Reykyavik is fab. We went early March and it snowed lots! It’s silly expensive but loads to do, and the locals are lovely. We’re going to try Lisbon or Bilbao in late Jan. For us tho, there’s the whole getting away from UK winter thing, otherwise I’d fancy something further north and/or east.

scuttler

Cheeky bookmark. Europe’s pretty good innit (not a comment to do with Br**it I hasten to add).

mogrim

Places I’ve been: Lisbon or Porto are good for a weekend, also Madrid, Granada, Seville, Bilbao, Barcelona…

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Love Lisbon. Great restaurants and culture. Sintra is a magical area for a day out by train.Sintra

the00
    Free Member

Wroclaw and Krakow are worth a look.
    Strasbourg is on my list to try.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘So, the best weekend city breaks..’ is closed to new replies.