Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • So, the A9 cameras + mobile speed vans….
  • irc

I’m sure they could do it in just a few years, provided you don’t mind the road being shut for all that time.

Why? There are huge sections over open moorland where the second carriageway could be built while the existing road was still operational. After all they didn’t shut the road to build the line of new pylons and access track alongside the A9.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m probably going to be laughed at for this…but I love driving the A9 now the cameras are in place!

I find it much, much more relaxing now.

That said, I only drive it at the weekends and don’t need to be anywhere in a hurry.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Whilst I am sure foreign drivers contribute to the issue – I’m quite confident that (a) most of the really dodgy driving I’ve seen on the A9 is from british drivers [UK plates, not typical hire cars] (b) the majority of fatal accidents on the A9 are not caused by foreign drivers

The foreign drivers are a factor and there have been some bad accidents caused by confusion with the changes etc., however I agree that most of the bad driving I’ve seen on the A9 has been UK drivers getting frustrated and overtaking when it’s not safe. True to form it’s very often Audi drivers and also a lot of the times it’s cars that are carrying bikes.

poly
    Free Member

Why does it have to be simple and quick?

What do you want to do, dual the entire thing in the space of a few months?
    Well, the could of started the work years ago. But…. yes?

It has to be simple and quick because that is what the cameras and limit change were. The big, slow, complicated project to dual the whole thing is a long term solution. If you have affordable, effective, road safety measures which can be implemented in 2015 I am sure Transport Scotland want to hear from you. Since you still haven’t given a single example I’m guessing you are just a “why doesn’t someone do something about this” person…

Unless you have invented time travel what “they” could have done years ago is irrelevant.

Why? There are huge sections over open moorland where the second carriageway could be built while the existing road was still operational. After all they didn’t shut the road to build the line of new pylons and access track alongside the A9.

I’m guessing you’ve not build many roads? It will take months just to design it. Months just to get an accurate picture of the geology / soil / drainage underneath. Often the “best” place for the road is where it is! Then any new land has to be acquired – that inevitably takes time, even compulsory purchase is not fast. Then you need to get contractors and machinery – over a 138 mile stretch in poor weather conditions to actually build this new parallel road. Everywhere it connects to the existing infrastructure requires junctions built (and managed so people stay where they belong until it opens). Bridges, cycle paths etc all need re-built too otherwise you introduce other safety issues. And of course, if you build it that quick – you need to pay the contractors that quick – which means some other part of the public purse has to take the hit for the moderate proportion of people driving the A9.

kcal

Been travelling the A9 since way back when – all revved up for the overtake straight at Blair Atholl, remember that? The last few years – actually more than that, last decade or so – has been mental, I think in the spring / summer I travelled the A9 a bit and there was usually one ‘oh shit’ overtake manoeuvre each journey. I wouldn’t say it was tourists fazed by the single/dual carriageway either, it was folk trying trying to make progress without regard for traffic in ether direction. If I have to brake sharply, it’s out of order.

Travelled in October when the cameras were active – I’d say it was /possibly/ a slower journey but my heart rate was a lot better. Not ideal but I’d approve. Sorry.

irc

I’m sure they could do it in just a few years, provided you don’t mind the road being shut for all that time. .

I agree designing and building roads takes years rather than months. Still don’t see why it would mean roads being closed for years. The M74 completion was built through an urban landscape with few if any road closures. It’s surely easier on open empty moorland.

scotroutes

How long is the M74 extension and can you please point the A9 planners at the wide empty moorland at the Pass of Birnam and at Aviemore? I’m sure they are dying to hear from you.

bigjim

I’m probably going to be laughed at for this…but I love driving the A9 now the cameras are in place!

I find it much, much more relaxing now.

That said, I only drive it at the weekends and don’t need to be anywhere in a hurry.

Yes it’s much better isn’t it. All the people on the various facebook groups saying how they refuse to drive it now there are cameras, and are taking massive detours, are donuts. Maybe it’s better because they aren’t on it!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The M74 extension took years – 5 or 6 at least and involved lots of compulsory purchase of land. Some was derelict. The A9 is probably 20 times the length and with different challenges as scotroutes mentions as well as the lengthy compulsory purchase orders process. It’s a huge project!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve done quite a few A road and motorway deals. They’re not quick. You’re normally talking years before you even speak to a contractor.

Most are plagued with delays at every stage

irc

I’m sure they could do it in just a few years, provided you don’t mind the road being shut for all that time.

Still haven’t heard why the road can’t be dualled without being closed when other major roadworks are done while keepuing the road open.

maccruiskeen

The M74 completion was built through an urban landscape with few if any road closures. It’s surely easier on open empty moorland.

The M74 extension is mostly on stilts at the sites where it intersected with existing traffic routes. But while roads weren’t often closed they certainly were disrupted

However…. It did only take 40 years to plan 🙂

But with the M74 extension and the M77 extension before it – you’re only talking a few miles and while the M77 / A77 wasn’t closed it was certainly heavily disrupted and thats a stretch with only a handful of junctions to deal with

scotroutes

Some of the dualling will be done on the North bound side of the existing road and some on the Southbound side. In these cases, disruption might be kept to a minimum. However, there are other roads intersecting the current road that will need to be handled (e.g. if you decide to build on the Southbound side of the existing road as it passes Dunkeld, how do you get into and out of Dunkeld while the road works are going on).
    These new sections will also need to be joined on to the existing single and dual carriageway sections at some point.
    Existing bridges, culverts and underpasses will all need to be widened. In some cases this will need a whole new bridge to be built.
    In the worst cases, the dualling will affect both North and Southbound sections as there isn’t enough room on one side for two new lanes (plus cycle lane etc.)

Oh, here…. http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/project/a9-dualling-perth-inverness
    Fill yer boots

sweepy
    Free Member

Dualling the bloody thing is going to be a nightmare. Now we’ve got the cameras and we’ve all slowed down a bit can’t we just leave it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m sure someone has done the numbers but what is the economic effect of the speed cameras vs dualling the whole road. An extra 20 mins per person isnt a huge amount (though enough to be a bit annoying) but multiply that by the number of people on the road and the amount of money lost might be significant?

scotroutes

It’s not “speed cameras vs dualling” and as the HGVs are reporting shorter journey times the economics are likely positive too.

If cameras reduce deaths, and evidence suggests they do, how many lost lives is it worth to save a few minutes on a trip?

geoffj

(e.g. if you decide to build on the Southbound side of the existing road as it passes Dunkeld, how do you get into and out of Dunkeld while the road works are going on).

Dunkeld is going to be very difficult. There is very little room between the station and housing in Birnam.

Also, some of the land the new bits will be built on is protected (SSSI, SAC, SPA etc.) and so the extent of the works may need to be limited to reduce potential damage to the features of interest.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘So, the A9 cameras + mobile speed vans….’ is closed to new replies.