Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • So, that's 1 -1. Time for the decider now?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, Ireland votes no. Europe doesn't like that so makes them vote again. Ireland votes yes.

How about a decider now, seeing as it's one all at the moment.

European democracy in action, doncha just love it!

johnners
    Free Member

Wasn't it the democratically elected Irish government that called the second ballot, rather than Europe?

Odd decision though, should be best of three.

we are never trusted to be able to have a vote on such matters.
    At least the Irish were given the option.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

johnners
    Free Member

Z-E, I think Low had something a bit more serious in mind. I don't think Brussels will be sending the Luftwaffe over.

midlifecrashes

El-bent
    Free Member

It's good that the Irish didn't make the same mistake twice.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It does take the pi55 out of democracy but planning is similar(you can keep applying no matter how many refusals and then once passed no appeal).

Personally it makes no difference to me how far away the politician who ignores me is or where they work.

geoffj

So why the yes vote this time?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There was a remarkable sense of over-confidence in Ireland as to how they achieved the stunning economic growth of the last decade or so i.e. they thought they managed it all by themselves. Indeed, all the road and infrastructure improvements were paid for by the Irish 😆 😆 And all the money loaned to build the shite that is currently covering the country masquerading as housing came from where? Oh yes, the Central Bank, not the savings accounts of German conservative spenders.

Were they my arse! The "no" vote was always a surprise to me, even though I'm perfectly familiar with the self-mythologising powers of the Irish, given that Ireland has always been so pro-European. The re-vote was called after they were given quite a few concessions – taxation, abortion and neutrality being the key three IIRC (Flash there would like you all to think that it was simply a re-vote on the same thing).

As soon as the shit has hit the fan, and believe me, it has hit the fan big style, they've decided they, ahem, don't wish to be left out in the cold. You thought we were in the shit here? We're in gravy compared to the Irish. That a "yes" vote, backed by a government so unpopular that it makes New Labour look like the best clown in the world that's just turned up at your kid's party, has gone through shows just how much the Irish have changed their tune.

Flash, you could go best-of-whatever you want and they'd still vote yes.

MoreCashThanDash

I think the Irish have voted yes this time as they are too scared to vote no again due to their shattered economy – I may be missing something, but I thought the vote was about reforming the EU, not whether they should pull out altogether.

Interesting piece in the Telegraph by Darren Hannan, the Tory MEP who tore Brown off a strip that time – he was suggesting that the EU has put a lot of funding behind the yes campaign in contravention of it's own rules, and that rerunning the referendum may also be a breach of the EU rules as well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Interesting piece in the Telegraph by Darren Hannan

Sorry, we all know that it's inconceivable – "interesting" "telegraph" and "hannan" all in the same sentence? Nope.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Flash, you could go best-of-whatever you want and they'd still vote yes.

But, the key point is, they didn't vote yes. They voted no.

What if Labour use the same tactics in May next year? "Lost? Us? No, no, no. Not a bit of it. Let's just go back to the polls until we get the answer we want". That's the problem here. A vote was taken. That vote was subsequently ignored as the answer wasn't what the powers that be wanted.

Democracy?

El-bent
    Free Member

But, the key point is, they didn't vote yes. They voted no. A vote was taken. That vote was subsequently ignored as the answer wasn't what the powers that be wanted.

And they were given the opportunity given the circumstances of following the US/UK economic model to vote again.

And they voted yes. Tell me, where's the undemocratic bit in all of this?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But, the key point is, they didn't vote yes. They voted no

No Flashy dear fellow, they voted no, asked for concessions, got them and voted yes. It's all been fairly clear, or do you need to go back to the 'graph and read it again? Come back when you have old chap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘So, that's 1 -1. Time for the decider now?’ is closed to new replies.