Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • So, terrific ride today…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

First time out this year after three months of various illnesses and, apart from the commute, almost total lack of excercise. Pleasantly surprised at the stamina, which seems to have avoided any massive reduction.

Ranmore (where I witnessed Simon taking a bunch of guys down “Hot Burrito” – there’s a challenge for the next time), up on to Leith just far enough to hack alongside Wolven’s Lane and down the Rookery. Poor Rookery. The H&S pixies have filled in the entrance and smoothed out the top section… Still fast, though.

Up Box Hill (bonked) and coffee and cake at the tea shop. Lost a bit of a humungous slice of Vistoria Sponge as I couldn’t shove enough of it fast enough into the gob in one go.

Belter of a downhill down Happy Valley then over to Crabtree Cottages and WHOOOOT all the way back home.

How was your day?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That was original.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thanks mods.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martymac

i went out too, managed 16 miles, cycletrack/singletrack/road.
    first proper ride out since october.
    despite this, didnt feel too tired, only fell off once AND my riding jacket was looser than it was the last time i wore it.
    so, all in all, a pretty good day.
    SO tired now tho.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Glad you had a good ride, I unfortunately didn’t get out today, Mothers day duties and the weather has

turned a bit nasty, thundering as I write this and just started hailing! (NW Alps.)

Off to fettle the bikes in the garage, turned the heating back on in there 😉

Kit
    Free Member

Anyway, to sum up, I’ve had a great day thanks 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Sounds as though you guys have had fun. 🙂 When you’ve not ridden for a bit, how encouraging is it to get out there again, grin and feel so mellow afterwards?

No riding for me today so rode Friday instead to check on the progress of bluebells in mid-Hampshire. Totally under-estimated the extra loop so ended up doing 46 km … on a single speed. 😯

Bimbo. 🙄

Drac

Not ridden today but took me hound for a walk as it’s a glorious day here today, washed the bike this am as it looked like it had been bathed in mud.

Waiting for confirmation on tomorrows ride now.

scaredypants

no ride today for me – big mothers’ day meal with the familyinstead though

why are we picking on woppit here ?? He’s posted a nice chatalong thread without even a mention of <you know what>. Fine, pick on behaviour when it’s bad but why jump in all the time ?

My daughter’s year six class was told off about this sort of shit* just the other day 🙄

*Not picking on woppit; somebody else I think

saxabar
    Free Member

Excellent run around Penmachno. A case of commit or dodge the “puddles”, but great fun.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice ride yesterday DIY and procrastination mainly today with the later winning over the former.

martymac

@ cinnamon girl,
    yeah, it is really encouraging, it is so true to say the hardest bit is the trip to the shed, and i do feel better now.
    i was in 2 minds whether to go, but id made an arrangement to go (with a mate) this helps i think.
    saw some snowdrops too.

spacemonkey

Belter of a downhill down Happy Valley then over to Crabtree Cottages and WHOOOOT all the way back home.

Is that ‘Dinosaur Valley’ as in the trail that runs down Juniper valley? Or the one up top where you get the panoramic view to your left?

MrSparkle

I had a great ride with a couple of Dave’s. Nice loop from Darwen via cheeky route to White Coppice onto Lead Mines Clough over to the Rivi/Belmont Rd. Even the road bits were fun. And then a final blast through Dog Shit Woods and home. Beltin’. And this after the Rammy Wind Turbines ride the day before – what a cool weekend!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice loop from Darwen via cheeky route to White Coppice

Shame there is no legit route for this did you just yomp up great hill ? Dog shit woods? Tockholes???

MrWoppit
    Free Member

monkey – it’s the first case. “Happy Valley” is the Ordnance Survey title…

It’s a little bit technical at the top and then it’s just REALLY FAST until you hit the car park.

Lovely.

MrSparkle

Shame there is no legit route for this did you just yomp up great hill ? Dog shit woods? Tockholes???

Nah, Great Hill really is crap for riding on. I’ll drop you a line to describe the route if I remember. It’s a good ‘un but loose lips, etc. Dog Shit Woods are just off the A666 as you drop back into Darwen. That *may* not be their real name. ;0)

brakes
    Free Member

Dorking>Denbies>Westcott>Rookery>Leith>Holmbury>Barrys>Peaslake>[Lunch]>Holmbury>Yoghurt Pots>[pint at the Royal Oak]>Leith>Westcott>Dorking
    50km
    😀

nuke

Dorking>Little Bookham>Polesden Lacey>Little Bookham>Dorking

30km

None by bike, most by car 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers e-mail in profile or e-mail DONK as I assume you have his.

MrSparkle

Sent. Good luck decyphering!

fontmoss
    Free Member

bout 30 miles on the road bike, cracking weather could only be better if was out on the mtb

piha
    Free Member

Guildford>Newlands>Ranmore>Polesden Lacey>Denbies>Pint in Westhumble>Great Bookham>Ranmore>Newlands>Guildford

With Simwit of this parish and 1 other. Bloody knackered now! Top ride.

Pauly

Best ride of the year. Can feel the legs coming back, although being on my new bike helped.

midlifecrashes

Road bike today for me, about 45 miles, forgot to turn on endomondo until few miles in. Doncaster-Isle of Axholme-Trent villages-Gringley-Bawtry-Home. Didn’t set off till 12 so got a couple of soakings on the second half.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sheepscombe>Cranham>Painswick Beacon>Juniper

Most good. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

thundering as I write this and just started hailing! (NW Alps.)

Where? Full on summer’s day here in Bavaria, 25 degrees.

ratadog

Got out for a couple of hours late afternoon. Rode from home up into Dalby via Givendale Head and across to Adderstone and then looped round back to Givendale and home. One short sharp shower but otherwise very pleasant.

BillMC

Did about 38 miles yesterday with gf who’s recovering from an injury. Couple of hours today and am now nicely mangled.

scaredypants

thundering as I write this and just started hailing! (NW Alps.)

[quote]Where? Full on summer’s day here in Bavaria, 25 degrees. [/quote]Mol’ I think this may be reference to the famous Lickey Ridge/ Aiguille de Clent region

toby1

Home from south Wales (Brechfa and Whites) at 11pm yesterday – a weekend well spent – despite the mechanicals!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rode the 100km Action 100 Sportive around Bath yesterday. Tough but fun 🙂

Travis

First time out on the MTB yesterday for me to.
    Same as the Op, as in I was very surprised with my stamina too.

Mentougou – Jiulongshan – Mentougou for me.

Here’s my mates GPS route.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76842187

younggeoff

Proper ride yesterday, best for a long time, North York Moors and is was suprisingly dry. The trace is missing about 1 1/2mile and 200foot of climbing thanks to the random stop/start button on my EDGE 305

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77019729

freeridenick
    Free Member

mr woppit

interested to know where Hot Burrito is? wondering whether I know that one under another name being a ranmore resident!?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ll try.

Imagine you are going down the steep tarmac road to Dorking from the Ranmore Church area.

There is a “flint” wall either side of the road just past the point where, if you look to your right, you can suddenly see Westcott and Leith hill beyond it.

Shortly after, there is a five-bar gate in the wall on your left.

Opposite this, on the far side of the road, the wall has stopped and there is a gap where you can get through into some woodland. Carry on and then right, and you will join the bridleway that has run under the road bridge from the gate on the (now) other side of the tarmac road.

However, if you advance about four metres and look left, there is a trail head that goes down the steep slope, splitting left and right.

I can’t remember the name of the trail that goes left, but the one that goes right is “Hot Burrito” apparently – newly created by Simon from Nirvana. Even at the first run-in it’s a challenge if your (my) idea of “getting air” is hopping over a twig

The riders I watched attacking the earth-raised tree-trunk (about a metre and a half high) seemed to just float over it.

I’m going to have a look, but I don’t expect I’ll be cleaning it anytime soon…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Mr Woppit -Grievous Angel is the other trail. I know exactly where you mean. nearest trail to my house as I live at the bottom of the coach road behind ashcombe road.

Many Thanks 😛

rewski
    Free Member

Just a family ride around Friston Forest to test my newly screwed scaphoid, still not strong enough to attack the trails on my own I’m afraid, hopefully by easter,

Kunstler

I was feeling a bit low yesterday which made it hard to get out but when I did – I was out in the Pentlands for five and a half hours. Went to have a look at a route around some hills and ended up dragging the bike over those hills. It was worth it for the views.

I also discovered a decent, long, non boggy descent that had no evidence of any other bikes having ridden it. I guess that goes to show how much the traffic heavy routes get churned up.

I’m out again soon for my daily constitutional bike ride.

spacemonkey

I can’t remember the name of the trail that goes left, but the one that goes right is “Hot Burrito” apparently – newly created by Simon from Nirvana. Even at the first run-in it’s a challenge if your (my) idea of “getting air” is hopping over a twig

So that means there are now 2 trails coming off that section? The first appeared about 4-5 years ago? And now Si’s added another one?

He’s a bit of an air bear is Si, plus he does like his technical stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘So, terrific ride today…’ is closed to new replies.