Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • So tell me about Wimbledons Centre Court Grass
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Hope someone here can settle a differing of opinions I have with Mrs D28….

We were watching the tennis the other day when she mentioned that the grass is grown from scratch each year….I found this a little hard to believe bearing in mind how golf greenkeepers look after their greens. She said she got texts from the club ( as she follows them ) that suuport her claims but couldn’t find one to back it up. So we looked on the tinterweb and couldn’t find much either way to settle the argument.

Wimbledons own site states it takes 16 months to prepare a court to play but also that it scrapes off the turf at the end of the season each year?

There’s no divorce on the horizon either way but now I’m intrigued to know the answer…Does anyone know?

Northwind

Grown elsewhere then moved?

brakes
    Free Member

it’s probably true, there’s a bowls green near my parents where they re-seed and grow the grass every year. growing grass isn’t hard or expensive and it grows pretty quickly.
    I assume they do it all rather than just filling in the patches that appear which would make it patchy.

rogermoore

Twitter. Scroll back a year and see it all develop from there!
    RM.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its grown in Bingley and shipped in. They have a bit about it every year on local TV

This place

http://www.stri.co.uk/

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx RM but as I scroll back I can’t see any evidence that the grass is grown from plain dirt each year…They say they top dress and re-seed but that isn’t ploughing up the old surface and starting from new it’s a levelling proceedure that the grass can go though I think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am pretty sure they don’t lay a fresh court every year, not even on centre court.

benji
    Free Member

It was covered on gardeners world the other week, and the head groundsman did mention stripping it all off and then starting a fresh each year. With 16 other groundsman, and the lawnmowers checked each day for 8mm cut height, it’s a little obsessive for a game of bat and ball.

D28boy
    Free Member

all I can see on that twiiter roll back is them scaryfing and top dressing…they are cutting it in Nov as it’s under lights. Courts 15 & 16 were re-built and FunkyD they deffo don’t bring in turf from Bingley !

Sorry for over obsessing but would like the correct answer which I think I’ve already found.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘So tell me about Wimbledons Centre Court Grass’ is closed to new replies.