Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • So, Talk to me about spoke cross patterns…what’s the difference? 2x 3x what?
  • Black
    Free Member

Which is best and why? getting new wheels built up and don’t know which to go for.

Help Please?

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you’re running disc brakes your only real option is 3x.

Black
    Free Member

Really? As I’m looking at most of my wheels were and they appear (from my limited understanding) to be 2 cross.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

Black – Member

Really? As I’m looking at most of my wheels were and they appear (from my limited understanding) to be 2 cross.

What wheels?

If they’re normal 32 spoke handbuilt wheels, you’ll probably find you’re missing a “cross” as just about all conventional handbuilt wheels are 3x.

And as Dibbs said, pretty much your only option is to go for 3x with disc brakes. Well, if you want your wheels to last and don’t want to have to get them rebuilt every few rides that is! Rim brakes are fine with radial on the front even, but as soon as you’re putting braking forces through a wheel, you need to have the spokes crossed over a few times to enable them to deal with the stresses ok.

Black
    Free Member

hokey dokey – I’ve definitely got one set that’s 2 cross, recent too.

gtkid
    Free Member

Post a pic pls of your 2x as I’d be surprised at that for disc use unless straight pull.

qwerty
    Free Member

radial is rad, word

mboy
    Free Member

Just remembered, 24 spoke wheels will be 2x as with that few spokes it’s almost impossible to create a 3x spoke pattern.

But if they’re 32 hole, I am almost certain you’re missing a crossover.

aracer
    Free Member

No advantage to 2x (apart from a very, very minimal weight advantage) in a wheel with enough spokes to do 3x. If you have less than 28 spokes then 3x doesn’t work, so you have to go 2x.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Go 3x i had a rear wheel which was 2x it made the bike feel realy slow (daft as it sounds ) swapped the wheel for a 3x build and the bike flew

trekcol
    Free Member

More cross overs will equal more stiffness and strength, but at the sacrifice of weight. the 2 cross/3 cross will add approx 4mm to a 3 cross spoke, so 32 x 4mm is the basic weight addition.
    If you are a light rider, or light on wheels, 2 cross- built well- will be fine

Black
    Free Member

They’re CKs on ZTRs and i’m less than 70kg. My other wheels seem to be 3x, but these are definitely 2x.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Are you sure? Look carefully. The first cross is where the two adjacent spokes cross, as they exit the flange. Then, another cross a couple of cm up, then one more a few cm on from that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nice pic from Rude Boy. Explains what I was just thinking very well.
    🙂

Black
    Free Member

Yup, Positive. Its got 2 and 3 but not 1. 248mm spokes

crazy-legs

Functionally there’s sod all difference. I built up a pair of wheels for my roadie SS a while ago, did the front 2x and the rear 3x. No reason, just felt like it. Both 32H.
    I’ve seen 2x disc wheels before, some factory wheelsets use a mix of 2x and 3x (sometimes with radial on the front non-disc side as well). There’s nothing wrong with mixing and matching patterns.

However if you’re getting a set built for a Disc’d MTB, ask for 3x.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

My trail wheels on my big bike are 2x in an effort to save a wee bit of rotating weight. No issues these last 6 months. I spoke briefly to Roger Musson (on here) about it, and he reckoned there would be no appreciable difference, bar a bit more stress on the hub flanges.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘So, Talk to me about spoke cross patterns…what’s the difference? 2x 3x what?’ is closed to new replies.