Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • So Svens on discs now….
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Now he is riding Treks, as of today I don’t suppose even he will have much choice.
    Given that over 2013 he mainly rode canti’s, he always had a disc Colnago ready to go.
    So I wonder if 2014 will see the floodgates open?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I hope not. I dearly hope not.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Some pretty sweet looking Trek mind..

JoB
    Free Member

as you can see he has the choice of disc or cantis, he chose discs for today

oldgit
    Free Member

as you can see he has the choice of disc or cantis, he chose discs for today

Oh yeah 😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ohhh.They got the domane boingyness stuff.Tasty

tang
    Free Member

I want that disc trek.

brant
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member
    I hope not. I dearly hope not.
    POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Why?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not Belgian enough.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve found my TCX to be most enjoyable to ride, can’t see any issues with discs in CX racing at all.

I expect he’ll have a choice of either though, but be asked to pick the disc version first.. They look like really nice bikes those Treks, I don’t say that often these days.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice professional finish there. Day one of 2014 and the world champion crosses the line holding his new Trek aloft.

oldgit
    Free Member

My crossers going after my last race. The new one will be disc, either a TCX or Crocket. I’ll get a trade deal on the Giant so I hope it’s good.

wwaswas

So, disc or Canti. It is a black or white choice.

Spin
    Free Member

What are the arguments for cantis? I mean for Joe Public, not the pros.

The weight difference is of no relevance IMO.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Di2 too, nice.

I did wonder about Trek applying pressure to use the highest spec bike, but then Katie Compton still uses the Alu frame and canti’s I believe.

mrmo
    Free Member

What are the arguments for cantis? I mean for Joe Public, not the pros.

The weight difference is of no relevance IMO.

How many disc recalls this year?

And speaking to someone in the industry he is of the opinion that there are VERY few sets of shimano hydro road discs, he had yet to see any, he was riding a set of recalled sram’s ( it wasn’t that cold so no issue….)

Add to that first gen. product, wait a year or two until they work.

For racing, they weigh more and every gram counts, for riding, well that is a different question.

Many cross bikes use hand me downs and any old crap that was in the spares box, the spares tend not to be disc based.

Give it 10 years and discs will be normal, but it is going to take a good few years, roadies don’t tend to be faddish like mountain bikers.

Spin
    Free Member

I think all of those arguments are outweighed by ‘work in the wet’ and ‘don’t consume your rims at a frightening rate’.

scotroutes

How many years have folk been running BB7s on “CX” bikes with no problems at all?

JoB
    Free Member

I think all of those arguments are outweighed by ‘work in the wet’ and ‘don’t consume your rims at a frightening rate’.

that argument is outweighed by ‘i can’t afford a new dsic-equiped bike and the spare wheels to go with it’ if you’re racing

if i was buying a new CX bike right now id go disc, but i have enough cantilever equipped bikes and matching spares to see me for a while, like many

Spin
    Free Member

that argument is outweighed by ‘i can’t afford a new dsic-equiped bike and the spare wheels to go with it’ if you’re racing

Fair enough but it’s not a performance based argument against discs for for cantis.

JoB
    Free Member

no-one’s arguing the performance benefits, it’s a pragmatic argument as to why people are still using cantilevers, it’s because they’ve been around for 100 years and there’s going to be a few years of change-over before discs become omnipresent

mrmo
    Free Member

How many years have folk been running BB7s on “CX” bikes with no problems at all?

and how much do bb7’s weigh? according to Sram 329 gram per end, compare to 150 per end for cheap cantis? plus the added weight in the frame. So about a pound. For not a huge advantage.

Then for the discs you need new wheels, etc.

well as the wheels your probably using are the trashed ones in the spares box killing them isn’t much of an issue. and once a week for an hour isn’t really going to wear the rims that much. Then spread the wear over a couple of sets of wheels and it is almost a non issue.

Spin
    Free Member

no-one’s arguing the performance benefits

I got the impression that some (not you) were, which was why I asked the question.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Discs in cyclocross is just another change in bike spec that has been controlled by choppers buying and wanting to throw their money at anything that the media and the bike manufacturers have said is best (in order to take the money).

Maybe discs are better for something like the peaks, but in a cross RACE, where most of the time you stop pedalling and you roll to a stop within a meter, cantis were and are good enough. There are no negatives re discs and their performance, but for a cross race there are none for cantis either. Bart Wellens put it in an interview that cantis have worked so well for so many years so why change it? All the euro guys have happily been running cantis but every man and his dog in the states have been running discs for a couple of years because it’s what trek and specialized say you need.

Done.

Spin
    Free Member

well as the wheels your probably using are the trashed ones in the spares box killing them isn’t much of an issue

So you’re basically saying the same as JoB. You want to use up all your canti bits and / or use your crosser as a parts graveyard and for this reason discs are less appealing.

I use my crosser on terrain that might be better suited to an MTB so discs seem like the logical thing for me. I can understand why there is no need for them in a cross race.

mrmo
    Free Member

So you’re basically saying the same as JoB. You want to use up all your canti bits and / or use your crosser as a parts graveyard and for this reason discs are less appealing.

Basically, if i was in the market for a new cross bike or a new road bike i would get discs, i am not so am not. Or more specifically am not intending to buy a new bike until things have settled.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s a bit easier for me. Most of my kit is worn and replacements cost almost as much as a new bike. Plus I ain’t getting any younger, so I’m not after anything flash a 23 year old might want.

wool

Been on discs for 6 years now after a brief 3 months on canties and wearing out a set set of wheels in that time it was a no brainer for me. The wheel sets are all so interchangeable between my 29er 😀

remoterob
    Free Member

A disc equipped CX bike can use parts from the mountain bike parts graveyard, not all of us have road bikes.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Know a few folk with the hope system on their shimano sti’s and that’s how I’d go if I was buying a cx bike. 2nd choice (very close) would be bb7’s.

Marge
    Free Member

Just watched the race from Baal. Seemed to work OK for him 😉

Commentators claimed same spec bike is available off the shelf for €8k and that it weighs bang on 7.0kg…

It was also claimed that Sven took an active role in the development but I take that with a pinch of salt.

Let’s see how he gets on tomorrow in Roma (and if he uses discs)

Northwind

Looks like progress, all it needs now is flat bars, bit of suspension, some wider tyres…

Onzadog
    Free Member

And smaller wheels… 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Let’s see how he gets on tomorrow in Roma (and if he uses discs)

Cantis by the looks of it.

njee20
    Free Member

Bart Wellens put it in an interview that cantis have worked so well for so many years so why change it? All the euro guys have happily been running cantis but every man and his dog in the states have been running discs for a couple of years because it’s what trek and specialized say you need.

Like rigid forks and cantis on MTBs? With freewheels? And 150mm stems and 540mm bars, with X-Lite Ski bar ends? 1.8″ tyres? Just like we’re all still riding. Oh… wait.

RustySpanner

Rogan Josh – Member
    All the euro guys have happily been running cantis but every man and his dog in the states have been running discs for a couple of years because it’s what trek and specialized say you need.

Done.

So no doubt they’ll stay on cantis and keep winning?

mrmo – Member
    …….. roadies don’t tend to be faddish like mountain bikers.

Still using 531 and a 5 speed cassette?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘So Svens on discs now….’ is closed to new replies.