Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • So, space nerds. What's this?
  • jam-bo

Took a couple of long exposure on dartmoor this evening:

Reviewing this one I noticed something a bit odd.

30s exposure, 30 dots. Something flashing white at 1Hz? A plane would be coloured I think?

Looking due east at about 9pm.

codybrennan
    Free Member

What camera?

tails
    Free Member

flying sheep

jam-bo

RX100. mk3

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Satellite

sirromj

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye it’s a satellite, look up at the sky long enough, in a dark sky park, and you’ll see loads of them with the naked aye.

jam-bo

Yeah, but not blinking.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Intereresting. You can see some ‘smearing’ on the stars, and in the right direction too- so the long exposure is working ok.

I dont know. I cant think why anything out there would be in sync with this. Is this a compound shot?

tillydog
    Free Member

Plane.

Riksbar

It could be a booster casing rotating giving a series of 1hz flashes.

mattyfez

Looks like a post with some lights on it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

muddy@rseguy

Plane with anti-colision lights (most likely the white strobes) flashing. I’ve caught similar images using my camera on long exposure.

Or possibly it’s a piece of rotating space junk that’s catching the light as it spins…depends on the orbit of course and if you are looking west, so it will catch the sun that’s below the horizon.

andytherocketeer

space junk would be less likely.
    rocket boosters certainly do have oscillating varying brightness, but not really an on-off kind of light. the ones i’ve seen also need binoculars to see, and not so well synchronised to 1Hz.
    i’d say either a plane, or aliens.

Superficial
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not an artefact of the way your camera does long exposures?

Btw- look closely at the pic and there are smaller, dimmer, dots in between making a total of ~60.

tillydog
    Free Member

It’s likely that the flashes are over-exposed, so you probably won’t see any colour.

This was a plane:

jairaj

its a plane, i see similar artifacts all the time in my astro photos.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A baby Robin?

Beagleboy

Satellites have loads of reflective surfaces that can catch the sunlight. Google “Iridium Flares” for more info.

I see them all the time through Dobby, my Newtonian telescope.

🙂

rchallen
    Free Member

It’s a plane, satellites make a solid line

scud
    Free Member

SANTA!

jam-bo

I’d come to that conclusion. for a start its a straight line. a satellite would be in an arc.

Drac

CountZero

Looks like a post with some lights on it.

Bloody big post, you wouldn’t want it in the middle of your garden, that’s for sure!
    That’ll be the North Hessary Tor radio mast at Princetown. Like the Mendip transmitter mast that sits above Wells and Glastonbury, the marker lights show up for miles around, you can see the Mendip mast with the naked eye from high ground in North Wiltshire and its lights with binoculars.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a plane. Their blinking lights are white. Are they so common you haven’t noticed this?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘So, space nerds. What's this?’ is closed to new replies.