Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • So some firemen saved some pigs and subsequently got sausages made from them..
  • Drac

I found it a bit odd that she’d served the pigs they saved, I’d also love a job where I had time to cook sausages.

chakaping
    Free Member

I found it a bit odd that she’d Service the pigs they saved

😯

I hope that was a predictive text fail.

Cougar

Rebecca Loos?

Drac

I also failed to edit it in time. 😳

GrahamS

I’d also love a job where I had time to cook sausages.

From talking to a firefighter mate of mine there does seem to be quite a bit of dossing around, playing pool/cards/practical jokes, eating, sleeping that goes on when they are not on actual shouts or doing training/maintenance etc.

Cushy job apart from the crap pay, grim work and possibility of being burned alive.

CountZero

Well, seeing as the firemen saved the farmer many thousands of pounds in lost revenue had they not saved all the livestock, which were intended for the table anyway, so it’s only right that the firemen should have some samples.
    Of course, the vegan contingent were suitably outraged, but I’ve yet to hear any rational explanation as to what would happen to the millions of animals should everyone turn vegan.

chakaping
    Free Member

Of course, the vegan contingent were suitably outraged, but I’ve yet to hear any rational explanation as to what would happen to the millions of animals should everyone turn vegan.

I’m not even a vegan or veggie and I think this is a ridiculous thing to write.

And I’m sure most of the “vegan contingent” couldn’t give a toss about this non-story.

Cougar

I’m not even a vegan or veggie and I think this is a ridiculous thing to write.

And I’m sure most of the “vegan contingent” couldn’t give a toss about this non-story.

Aside from the notion that it was only vegans complaining (I’ve no idea whether it was or not but I doubt it),

I’ve been veggie since the early 90s and I’d concur. “Pigs raised to be sausages are turned into sausages” is hardly news, unless people are oblivious / in denial as to where their food comes from. It’s absolutely right that the firemen should get a share, seems like a nice thing to do (unless you’re a pig, at any rate).

As ever with any demographic, it’s the vocal minority giving the rest a bad name.

Drac

I’m neither veggie or vegan if it helps.

GrahamS

Is anyone genuinely “outraged” at this?

Surely most people are just amused by the irony of the situation?

Drac

Yup I’m just bemused.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A quick look on the twit shows that some people are upset.

@mekosoff 8h8 hours ago
    More
    i will NOT read the story about the pigs who got served to the firefighters who saved them as sausages WHY are you all sharing this sad news

@thehouseofcats 15h15 hours ago
    More
    Seriously, how ****** up is this? Baby pigs rescued from a fire have been barbecued as sausages by firefighters’ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41012135

@thevnicelife 9h9 hours ago
    More
    It’s disgusting the heartless farmers slaughtered those pigs rescued by firefighters who risked their lives to save them!

This one nailed it for me, though!

Jenni Tilton-Flood? @jtiltonflood 9h9 hours ago
    More
    #BreakingNews out of the U.K.: sausage comes from pigs.

aracer
    Free Member

Aside from the notion that it was only vegans complaining (I’ve no idea whether it was or not but I doubt it)[/quote]

I’m not sure if that idea arose from my post wondering whether those outraged were vegetarians or vegans – I was more angling at the hypocrisy of those who aren’t.

Though it does appear that PETA are outraged by this.

dannyh
    Free Member

From talking to a firefighter mate of mine there does seem to be quite a bit of dossing around, playing pool/cards/practical jokes, eating, sleeping that goes on when they are not on actual shouts or doing training/maintenance etc.

Cushy job apart from the crap pay, grim work and possibility of being burned alive.

The sad thing is that in some torybot mind, the lack of regular fires is probably being factored into a justification for cutting funding. Before employing one of their management consultant mates at £1,000 a day to investigate whether the supply of fires could be better organised to maximise fire service capacity, of course.

GrahamS

Yep, clearly the best solution is to follow the NHS example: close local fire services and refer fires to a regional centre of excellence two hours away. 😆

tomhoward

Though it does appear that PETA are outraged by this. everything, ever.

FTFY

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Though it does appear that PETA are outraged by this.

PETA are idiots though.

vegan for almost 30 years here; don’t see the issue of a pig farm that happened to have had a fire making sausages from its pigs. they’d have done it, fire or not. people (vegetarian, vegan or omnivore) being outraged by this are stupid.

Drac

No one was shocked that a pig farm turned pigs into sausage, the point is the sausage she served was from the pigs they saved. Why not just other pigs? It’s a bit odd.

bruneep

I really cant see the issue.

I’m off to play pool/snooker/wash car /eat some animal products/have a nap/ surf the internet/ shower/then go home

pondo

* Puts hand up* I must confess, when I first heard the story, my initial reaction was along the “that’s grotesque!*” line. But, on reflection, it’s me and I hope they were both A) delicious and B) enjoyed by the fire folk. 🙂

* For clarity I DO listen to Radio Two but I don’t read the Heil. Mrs Pondo does, drives me mad.

Drac

I find it just odd she server the very pigs they saved, no issues with it as such just find it strange.

aracer
    Free Member

Why is it odd? Would it be odd if the firefighters saved some fruit trees and got given some jam made from the fruit they later produced?

Scapegoat

It’s a funny old world. But the outrage is symptomatic of a society that takes no responsibility for where its food comes from. My lad studies Rural Enterprise and Land Management at a Uni that is a vast working farm. On the open day for his course we were being shown the chickens which the guide told us were destined for Tesco. “Why do Tesco want your chickens?” asked a prospective student “They’ve already got loads of their own.”

Drac

Why is it odd?

I said I find it odd I don’t expect everyone to have the same thoughts. Like I said serving up the pig they saved is the issue for me.

Would it be odd if the firefighters saved some fruit trees and got given some jam made from the fruit they later produced?

You tend not to chop down fruit trees when picking fruit. 🙄

km79
    Free Member

Maybe the pigs that were saved were the only pigs they had left? 18 piglets and 2 sows survived the fire according to the article, were they supposed to make sausages from the ones that didn’t survive?

aracer
    Free Member

That’s fine – I’m quite happy for you to find it odd, just curious why. Sorry if it came across any other way!

You tend not to chop down fruit trees when picking fruit.

Fair enough. How about they saved some fields of barley and got given the beer?

Drac

That’s fine – I’m quite happy for you to find it odd, just curious why. Sorry if it came across any other way!

No it didn’t but cheers for the apology anyway.

Fair enough. How about they saved some fields of barley and got given the beer?

Ah! Good one. Not sure why but more comfortable with that.

Maybe the pigs that were saved were the only pigs they had left? 18 piglets and 2 sows survived the fire according to the article, were they supposed to make sausages from the ones that didn’t survive?

I doubt they were the only ones as it was just one barn and they would have been brought in for the birth of the piglets before going back out. If they were then they just slaughtered the only pigs they had which would be a bad move.

dannyh
    Free Member

The solution to the ‘problem’ of inefficiency in the fire service has just suggested itself to me. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this before, it is the logical conclusion of the whole of society being one big market

Zero hours contracts!

We define the job as solely ‘putting out fires’ we work out, therefore, that fire service personnel are essentially casual temporary workers. We redefine the fire station as a social club where people gather on the off chance of some work. We impose a zero hours contract so that we don’t pay them when they don’t actually have a hose pipe in hand, but we insist they have to be ready and on call and can’t be anywhere else. We might be able to chuck them a few replica football shirts to stitch on the quiet, maybe.

I thought about making them buy their own gear as well, but that’s just stupid. The public purse can provide the gear, but we can outsource the maintenance of that gear to some of my mates in the private sector, maybe like Serco who will then charge £230 odd to put up a coat hook (real world example from the NHS).

This is what the Tories are doing to our public services.

bruneep

We define the job as solely ‘putting out fires

Excellent.

Who are you going to get to do the other stuff we do?

dannyh
    Free Member

Contractors. G4S are meant to be awesome and they must be because they are in the private sector.

Please reread my posts on this thread and realise I am taking the piss and I am on your side. 🙄

Drac

Depends if you mean plumbing or tiling jobs?

nathb
    Free Member

As a vegetarian I think more of the outrage came from meat eaters having the dots connected for them on the telly box.

“WHAT? This thing I have to eat in every meal comes from an animal?! That’s distrusting!!”

Drac

Except that isn’t what happened.

dannyh
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Except that isn’t what happened.

POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO #

Etc.

bruneep

Depends if you mean plumbing or tiling jobs?

Nah No time! we’re to busy doing EMR propping up the failing ambulance service.

Drac

Too true.

Drac

So DannyH you’re telling me that meat eaters didn’t think that the meat from animals?

GrahamS

Was telling a farmer mate of mine about this story and my 7 year old daughter overheard.

“[Farmer], do you eat your pigs?”

He looked at her innocent wide-eyed expression, looked at his petting area with children cooing over the pigs, and lied “Oooh no, our pigs are just for show.”

To which my sweet daughter replied “Oh you should. I like pig, especially bacon” 😆

Drac

Don’t mention Bacon on STW!

dannyh
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    So DannyH you’re telling me that meat eaters didn’t think that the meat from animals?

POSTED 53 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

**** me! If everyone is so determined to completely miss my point, I give up.

The point of putting up a pic of King Canute was to draw a comparison to the mods’ job of holding back a tide of ignorance, stupidity and entrenched opinions and to do so with a straightforward and sensible refutation is probably a waste of time.

If people are so up for an argument that they jump on someone who is actually supporting them, I don’t know where to go next.

Tell you what, shall I meet you and bruneep for a pint? I can then deliberately spill your drinks so you can have a pop? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘So some firemen saved some pigs and subsequently got sausages made from them..’ is closed to new replies.