Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)
  • So, Scottish Independence then. Not really wanted by Scots.
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

How’re the droughts and hosepipe bans going by the way?

Captain of the university debating team?

chewkw
    Free Member

youngrob – Member

If we are allowed to have the oil revenue, it will only last another 50 years or so. What happens then?

Be like the Greeks?
    Insist on being fed?
    Waiting for handouts and with mouth wide open?
    Blame others … preferably your neighbour …?

Put the Scots to hard labour?

duckman

Zokes; none of us actually hate the English; despite your often aired persecution complex. What are we blaming the English for exactly?

How’re the droughts and hosepipe bans going by the way?

He comments on Scottish politics from Oz.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s funny – the only time I’ve ever had this “all Scots hate the English” thing was when I was on a training course near London. Two of us Scots, about 20 English, and they couldn’t stop going on about it. It really was bizarre – they’d invented this whole persecution complex about how the two of us must really hate them.

Funnily enough, by the end of the week we were coming around to the idea 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hiya.

Opinion polls show 30 – 50 % in favour depending how the question is asked 🙂 This one commissioned by one of the leading lights of the no campaign. Salmonds nicely written “preferred” question gets higher than 1:3 aproval

the no campaign needs to run a positive campaign focussing on what is good about the union not what might be bad about independence.

Anti- English prejudice is around – no doubt. Not a huge issue tho

I ain’t even sure how I will vote in a referendum actually.

zokes
    Free Member

He comments on Scottish politics from Oz.

Gimme a couple of days and I’ll be a lot closer than that…

For two months only you’ll be able to imagine nationalistic arguments with me in your own time zone 🙂

Who’s getting cold feet? Ahh yes, another Little Englander with a Big Chip desperately trying to hold on to the long gone belief that England is better.

Couldn’t give a rats arse personally, but most people I speak to seem to favour independence, and not many of them are scottish. Actually, the only Scottish person I speak to regularly is terrified of the idea. Most seem slightly bemused by the concept.

And I might be about to break the internet here…..

the no campaign needs to run a positive campaign focussing on what is good about the union not what might be bad about independence.

I couldn’t agree more.

BruceWee

not my experience at all I’m afraid to say. Been to Aberdeen more times than I care to mention and every time there’s been genuine hostility based on my english accent – i’m not a cockney btw. My wife lived in Scotland for most of her teenage years and was repeatedly beaten up at school for being english, well until she hospitalised a couple of them after getting rather good at aikido.

Actually I think that’s just the way many people are in Aberdeen when it comes to outsiders. I lived there for four months until the grief I was getting for being from Glasgow got to be too much of a PITA (OK, that maybe wasn’t the only reason).

TooTall
    Free Member

Why is is the English who start these threads; are you feeling unloved?

I’m a Geordie and as such, used to being unloved by Scots and English. I like it. I think a United Kingdom is better than Scotland trying to go it alone, so I take an interest in this.

duckman

Just think of the positives; how open politics in England would be; no need to create a fuel crisis just to hide corruption, because it doesn’t matter! The Tories will be in power forever anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I genuinely believe the 2014 date is right as there is a debate to be had about this and there is a huge undecided % . Salmond needs to be able to come up with some detail and positions and be questioned on them. Of his time in power here its a mixed bag for me. so I am listening to what is being said with interest. Scare tactics from the no camp are rubbish and will not work IMO

zokes
    Free Member

Scare tactics from the no camp are rubbish and will not work IMO

Agreed.

But a little more substance and a little less Braveheart from the Yes camp wouldn’t go amiss either…

unklehomered
    Free Member

I really hope Scotland votes No, I also cringe everytime Dave goes near the issue and really don’t think he’s helping. But if the worst comes to the worst I’m firmly in favour of the border of any independent Scotland being drawn in a straight line between the Humber and the Mersey and Yorkshire on up being incorporated into Greater Scotlandshire…

…please don’t leave us with Dave, please, we’re sorry, what ever we did we’re sorry…

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m firmly in favour of the border of any independent Scotland being drawn in a straight line between the Humber and the Mersey and Yorkshire on up being incorporated into Greater Scotlandshire..

I would have absolutely no problem with this idea either. I’d even vote for it. Why stop there? Maybe the welsh would want to join you in a United Celtdom?

duckman

It is only a temp separation anyway. Once it suits England the ancestors of King Alex the first will be “roughly woo’ed” and we will be back to square one. Or WMD found in TJ’s cellar (it worked before,not tj’s basement,the WMD as an excuse to invade a country)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

oops, the Dire Straits resulted in chewed apple on monitor…

bigjim

great map!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I read the article that map came from having heard my flatmate tell me how well written and researched it was. What a load of offensive, ill researched bollocks, the map made me angry in itself.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, pretty much what you’d expect form a Tory publication…

zokes
    Free Member

the map made me angry in itself.

You need to lighten up a little, chum.

yossarian
    Free Member

that map is just a bit unfunny and a bit crap really.

irc

I’m undecided. Hearing that George Galloway is fighting for the union has pushed me towards a yes vote though.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The Scots need the English to hate.

without us, they’ll just start fighting each other!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Couldn’t give a rats arse personally,

yet you can’t stop posting? You know there is a thread about obsession running today?

For two months only you’ll be able have to put up with imagine nationalistic arguments with uninformed drivel from me in your own time zone

there FIFY

really don’t think he’s helping

Oh he is. with Dave’s help, I’m sure the undecided will know which way to vote, and I hope Alex remembers to thank him for it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

without us, they’ll just start fighting each other!
    That’s England v Ireland in that picture, or North v South Ireland.
    Knock yourselves out boys, the sooner they f off and start polluting the english leagues the betetr

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I genuinely believe [that there] is a debate to be had about this and there is a huge undecided % . Salmond needs to be able to come up with some detail and positions and be questioned on them. Of his time in power here its a mixed bag for me. so I am listening to what is being said with interest.

Agree with that 😉 if you excuse the mild edit.

The map is mildy funny is a childish way but completely inappropriate for front cover of The Economist and at a time when proper debate is needed. Sad to see the need for dumbing down. Following Newsnight’s lead?

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s England v Ireland in that picture, or North v South Ireland.

You wish. That’s pure scottishness, that is. Scottish players (mainly), scottish owners, scottish supporters, the lot. They belong in scotland.

GrahamS

A lot of folk seem to be equating the desire for independence with “hating the English”. Which is a shame and misrepresents the argument quite a bit.

Personally I don’t know any Scots that hate the English.
    (I was born in Glasgow and spent years living in Edinburgh and Aberdeen)

richmtb

I don’t hate the English the English are just w@nkers

😆

I think Cameron is playing a blinder personally. Everytime he talks about being against Scottish independance support for it grows.

Pubicly he supports the union while privately knowing the tories will be in power in England for a generation is Scotland votes for independance.

palookah
    Free Member

The thing I don’t understand is, why are they bringing the famous Bahamian actor Sean Connery to campaign for them?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m undecided. Hearing that George Galloway is fighting for the union

Probbaly becasue if there was independance we’d only have english MP’s, so he’d be out of a job 😛

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Doesn’t Galloway represent an English constituency then?

bigjim

The thing I don’t understand is, why are they bringing the famous Bahamian actor Sean Connery to campaign for them?

Surely that’s a Tollcross tan, and he isn’t living in tax exile somewhere hot and sunny…

Northwind

surroundedbyhills – Member

Devolved local powers to decide on roads, Healthcare and education make sense, but then Defence, national security and fiscal policy..not sure about that.

It sounds like good logic- but then you look at what an excellent state the economy’s in, and at what our armed forces have been used for lately…

I think this might turn out to be a key point tbh… Heard Darling talking today about the economic benefits of union but we’ve heard nothing for years except how the economy is absolutely bollocksed. And I don’t think we’re seeing much evidence of the UK economy becoming rapidly unbollocksed either. So threatening scotland with economic bollocksing may not be that effective.

zokes
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

yet you can’t stop posting?

As it clearly irks you, it seems a worthwhile exercise 😉

Joxster
    Free Member

Exports of Whisky have grown from £2.37bn in 2005 to £3.2bn last year

Will Westminster miss the tax and duty raised?

there are rumours of a “water tax” designed specifically to extract more revenue from the Scotch whisky industry.

I’m not in favor of independence as it seems to be very shortsighted, but I also plan not to be here in the next couple of years.

roady_tony
    Free Member

i think everyone has missed the most important question ever regards to independence if/when it happens….

who will Scotland send to EUROVISION 2015 !!!!!!!!!!

bencooper
    Free Member

Darius?

And we can change the locks while he’s away…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Norway has a population of about 5 million same as Scotland and seems to be doing alright. What exactly are the Scots who support the Union afraid of? Having the safety blanket of UK public spending removed?

As a Scot who’s lived in England for the last 25 years I’ve yet to meet an English person who could give a damn whether Scotland is part of the union. Usual response is “If they want independence then why don’t they just get on with it”

trailmonkey

What exactly are the Scots who support the Union afraid of? Having the safety blanket of UK public spending removed?

As a Scot who’s lived in England for the last 25 years …………

Maybe they’re scared of losing the safety blanket of having England to escape to for 25 years if things aren’t working out up there 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘So, Scottish Independence then. Not really wanted by Scots.’ is closed to new replies.