Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So, say I wanted a quality off the peg skinny steel roady bike…
  • IHN

What would my options be? Everything seems to be carbon…

mrmo
    Free Member

budget?

There are other options, and when you say skinny, do you mean less big than carbon or alu, or old school steel skinny?

Edric64
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Budget – £1-2k

Deffo less big than carbon or alu, not necessarily full old school skinny, but not too fussed.

Edric64
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium?

IHN

Thought of the Genesis, but I’m not mad on the colour

bikebouy
    Free Member

Go to Condor Cyles…

toby1

You could book a ticket for bespoked bristol and keep saving till next year then go shopping 😉

jameso

Shand Skinny Malinky is worth a look. Lovely, lovely bikes and good vfm. Have a look at them up close, the fillets are some of the best I’ve seen. Saw the workshop and a few part-finished frames recently and was really impressed buy the quality of the frames.

I’ve said a few times though, for £1600 a tig-welded custom 953 Rourke is great value and has the potential to be the nicest-riding steel road bike out there (from my experience of road bikes in std steels, ti, 953 etc). That’d be my choice, no second thoughts. A Colnago Master X-lite would be the ‘more money than..’ option but finding and paying up for all the vintage Record parts would break me.

Edric64
    Free Member

His budget is 2 grand for the whole bike though(congrats on the tour divide by the way )

Cubed
    Free Member

Check out prestige cycles in Brighton – sure they do budget steel and titanium for that kind of price.

charliedontsurf

I had a similar brief for myself… I got myself one of these. And I am very happy with it. It’s totally suited to the rubbish roads we have in Dorset, and is damned fine on gravel too.

Mine does not have the deep section rims, so looks less racey, more classy.

I could no doubt do a 105 build for around £2,000.

You are welcome to take mine for a spin.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/ritchey-wcs-road-logic-frameset-3394-p.asp

Don’t worry the stem is no longer red.

charliedontsurf

Or a surly pacer…. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

jameso

Ah, 1-2k complete.. oops, counts out the Rourke then. Shand too but a Tiagra Shand may be doable for 2k, upgrade as you go? Tiagra/105 is so good now that I’d rather have that than get better parts on a lesser frame.

Call me biased but the Equilibrium is a really nice ride, nicer than many bikes I’ve had or ridden costing many times more. A respray / powder coat may be worth it if the colour’s teh only thing putting you off – mine’s getting a new coat and a custom steel fork when it looks tired, a real ‘keeper’ frameset. I still ride it a lot (with 5600 series 105 on it).

A Ritchey’s a safe bet too, always liked pretty much anything with Ritchey on it.

(edric, thanks!)

rob2
    Free Member

Prestige in Brighton have a 56cm de kerf on sale for (only) £999. 853. Looks lovely and better than the £1700 I think it is new.

rOcKeTdOg

i know someone with one of these for sale

full 853 frame

toppers3933
    Free Member

Word on the street is that genesis have some new steel road bikes coming out. A cheaper version of their team road bike for all us muggles.

messiah
    Free Member

Singular Osprey? looks nice.

IHN

Sorry chaps, been attending to a BBQ. Mackerel skewers and home made burger dee-lite 🙂

Charlie – I’d seen the Ritchey and I like, deffo one I’ll be considering. Can you do a full build?

Rocketdog – really? Tell me more.

Jameso – is there any chance that there are any of the old red equilibrium frames knocking about in the back of a warehouse somewhere? They looked fantastic.

jameso

IHN, not sure, not been there for 2 yrs now. I doubt it though.

mattjg
    Free Member

i know someone with one of these for sale

It seems the duck’s not impressed.

Aidan
    Free Member

Singular Osprey is a lovely bike (but I am a bit biased). Not the greatest photo, but you get the idea:

jameso

That Lemond is very nice.. and a Dekerf for £999 sounds very interesting.
    Osprey, good option too. Spoilt for choice now eh.

tinribz
    Free Member

No one mentioned Mercian? Wouldn’t say no to a pro lugless 853.

epicyclo

You’re on a mtb forum, so the odds are your road bike will get pointed up the odd nice looking bit of trail, so allow room for wider tyres.

If you want off the peg then there’s probably no bad bikes once you’re over £1k, but in your shoes I’d take a look at the Mercian website to get an idea of the sort of choice you can get when you go custom built.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Bob Jackson Olympus. Around £700 for a lugged, 853 frame. Fast and smooth.

Mackem
    tommyhine

Some of those earlier bikes on steel vintage are stunning. Such great detail on the frame.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So, say I wanted a quality off the peg skinny steel roady bike…’ is closed to new replies.