Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • So. Redundant the 2nd December in a row!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, 2 years in a row for me, they’re shutting the shop on 24th December.
    But this time I’ve got another Job lined up, and I’m off before the ‘ship sinks’ (Which won’t make me popular) but….well…..err…I think I’m going to get laughed off the forum for working at Halfords, right? 🙂

I got bills to pay.

portlyone

So what you’re saying is I should pull my stocks out of Halfords?

theotherjonv

Not at all – Quality of the shop depends largely on the quality of the people. Which one will you be at?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Farnborough store from 16th December. Mechanic….

dantsw13

You gotta do what’s best in shit times. Halfords seems to be improving – make it your mission to sort out their storage of “ship to store” bike parts, as per the recent Hope PSA thread!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

3rd busiest store in the UK, one of only 3 Halfords Pinarello dealers

camo16
    Free Member

No laughing here – haven’t you been looking for something in a bike shop for a while? You’re probably overqualified for Halfords, though, since you actually know something about bikes.

Good luck anyway. 🙂

crapjumper
    Free Member

Tough situation so close to Christmas but at least you’ve got a plan b

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

haven’t you been looking for something in a bike shop for a while?

Been in one since March 🙂 Love it. But they’re shutting the store, which was a bit of a surprise for all of us!

camo16
    Free Member

Ouch.

Sorry, haven’t been paying attention.

How come the store’s shutting down in these apparently bonanza times for bikes?

luke
    Free Member

In the same boat it’s a bad time of year to be made redundant but two December’s in a row is impressive, I’ve now done it in two December’s but 6 years apart.
    Well done on seeking new employment.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How come the store’s shutting down in these apparently bonanza times for bikes?

That’s not for me to say, I’m sure you understand.

Well done on seeking new employment.

Out of the three of us here, only one hasn’t already found somehting, and I’m sure he will.

LoCo
    Free Member

I managed a bikehut in a Halfords for a bit a few years ago, it’s money and stores vary hugely, sounds like your one is one of the best ones.

mboy
    Free Member

Tough break! But hey, at least you got something to go to that will pay the bills for a bit…

Use Halfords for what it is, an income and a springboard into something better. Many Bike Shop Mechanics that I know have had to do time at Halfords in the past, when losing a job before another decent position became open, it’s not quite the stigma some people think it is. Though be perfectly prepared to work with a load of part time 16-18 year old’s that know naff all about naff all, except how to make a 5 minute fag break last 20 minutes!

Shame you don’t live round my way Pete. I know of 2 shops you could probably walk into round here…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LoCo, it is. They’re pretty keen cyclists in the main, even the store manager seems into it. Decent guys in the main I think. Insanely busy too, they reckon 80-120 bikes sold a DAY running up to Christmas!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it’s not quite the stigma some people think it is

I don’t think it is at all. It’s all good experience. We’ll see what happens, and it’s only 12 mins walk from home, so zero commuting costs

Shame you don’t live round my way Pete. I know of 2 shops you could probably walk into round here.

There’s a few jobs about in Brizzle right now I see, I’d love to live down that way. One day, one day…

wwaswas

they reckon 80-120 bikes sold a DAY running up to Christmas

That’s a lot of PDI’s for you to do a day PP…

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I ended up selling gas and electricity on the streets for nPower when I got made redundant,then worked in a call centre for elderly folks clothing – nowt wrong with Halfords mate!

LoCo
    Free Member

Only thing I’ll say is setup on the Tunisian made specials can be interesting at time 😉
    and being told by a junior manager that you should be able to build a bike from a box and set it all up in 5 mins 😆

ell_tell
    Free Member

80-120 bikes sold a DAY running up to Christmas

Wow! Shame theres no commission 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Hi Pete, sorry to hear you are having to move around again, at least you can move straight across without a gap though.
    Is it the one at Farnborough Gate?
    I will pop in for a couple of tubes and a hello!

Did you get your Ducati tank fixed again?

zilog6128

I think I’m going to get laughed off the forum for working at Halfords, right?

Just make sure you keep us informed of the bargains and we’ll call it even 🙂

Jason
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your current job is no more 🙁 , glad to hear you are sorted out so quickly 😀

Hopefully you can install some sense in the staff in there, as in my experience their advice seems very random at best. Probably see you in there at some stage as I do pop in to get stuff from them when they have deals on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

they reckon 80-120 bikes sold a DAY running up to Christmas

Well, they say “bikes” but…

😉

Harry_the_Spider

Good stuff!

There’s nowt wrong with Halfords if the staff no what they are doing and I suspect that you do.

crikey
    Free Member

As above, nowt wrong wi’ Halfords. I’ve used Halfords countless times over the years at times when LBS chaps are at home having their tea or are still in bed. In the past they were a know what you want so buy it store, but that seems to be changing.

dabble
    Free Member

Nowt wrong wi working there for a living. I’ve been to halfords twice in the past month, the lads on the bikehut bit there seemed decent enough.

If i had better bike spannering skills i’d be very tempted by this

Job

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bad luck and good luck at the same time PP.

I am guessing Farnborough or possibly Farnham, Good to know which one, then we can come in and get some good advice etc.

mboy
    Free Member

Well, they say “bikes” but…

We need to get PP a T-Shirt with “A BSO is just for Christmas, NOT for life” on the front! 😆

soma_rich
    Free Member

Your commute will be less then? Your miss those Strave segments!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

my local halfords is good because the spannerists are cyclists
    It is down to the quality if the staff and you know your onions

Hope it all works out well for you

I would not fancy trying to index the gears on some of those bikes though but at least all the forks will be the right way round!!

cinnamon_girl

Oh no, am very sorry to hear that Pete. Good luck with the new job, you know your stuff and customers will appreciate your high standards.

Less of a commute, win win. 😀

toby1

Anyone who has ever seen a picture of you won’t be laughing at you because you work in Halfords 😉

I’d say S**t happens, but if you are off to a new job it’s really not all that bad by the sounds of things – good luck!

Drac

You’ve got a job and that’s what most important not where you work at least your not claiming there’s no jobs to there what am I supposed to do.

Leku
    Free Member

Good luck. Hope the Kili is still going strong.

kimbers

Snap ! Took me 6 months to get a one last year but only got a short term contract
    So interview on Friday fingers crossed

Out of recession my arse

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup another Good Luck from me, sure you’ll enjoy it what with dealing with all those kids kicking over the bike stands n all 😆
    But seriously, sounds like most folk who find themselves in situations like this, find another job reasonably soon.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Leku – yes the Sarcin’ is ace, probably my favourite bike ever, to be honest. 🙂

Hi Pete, sorry to hear you are having to move around again, at least you can move straight across without a gap though.
    Is it the one at Farnborough Gate?
    I will pop in for a couple of tubes and a hello!

Did you get your Ducati tank fixed again?

Yep, Farnborough Gate.
    We fixed the tank with good old chemical metal which is still holding.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this Peter! Great you got something else though. “Life would be boring if it didn’t change” …… I know, sometimes it would be nice for it to have a chance to get boring 😉

jamj1974

LoCo – Member
    Only thing I’ll say is setup on the Tunisian made specials can be interesting at time
    and being told by a junior manager that you should be able to build a bike from a box and set it all up in 5 mins

I worked in a Halford’s at 16 – a very, very long time ago… This was doing the rounds even then!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘So. Redundant the 2nd December in a row!’ is closed to new replies.