Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So… out for a ride & my mate got punched by a passing motorist.
  • jekkyl

Out last night, it was about 10pm we & stopped for a second at the top of an urban hill, not at a pinch point or anything. I was on the pavement & my mate at the curb when a random bloke in a golf punched my mate on the shoulder as they went past. Completely unprovoked, mate said he hadn’t seen anyone pissed off with his riding or anything.

Absolutely awful, we were raging. I’ve heard of cyclists receiving random violence before but never experienced it first hand.

Put a bit of a downer on us for a bit and we both got a bit paranoid, looking to see every car that passed us if we’d get hit or something thrown at us. Didn’t stop us enjoying the ride though, we turned off down the canal soon after and ended up doing 30 miles.

Why would someone do that? There are some proper A holes about.

wwaswas

Report it to the police – your mate may not be the only victim.

[edit] glad he’s not hurt,too!

spacemonkey

Did you get the plate?

tonyg2003

Years ago I was out riding with my mate “Mad Frank” when a car went past and a guy leaned out and slapped him (completely unprovoked). He was absolutely raging, 1/4 of a mile later the traffic was stopped. It didn’t end well for the lad in the car.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was nearly brained by a full can of Coke thrown from a car doing about 60 once. Missed my head by about 2cm.

I had to stop and take it all in – couldn’t believe someone would do that.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You should have got the reg. Technically its assault.

Nothing would be done but the police might have a word to give him the willies.

xterramac
    Free Member

yes report it for sure. Near Ringwood last year, some nob head slowed down next to me and his passenger leaned out the window let a party popper (streamer/banger) off in my face. luckily I wasn’t burned or crash, but it could have been a lot worse. I reported it and the police took it very seriously.

jekkyl

No I didn’t get the reg unfortunately, I looked but the plate was dirty and all I got was 02. My mate wasn’t too bad thanks for asking, he was initially shocked but we carried on about 2 minutes later.

sandwicheater

Report it.

Had a car slow down and try and clip me around the head when on the road bike. Took a note of the reg and called Police. Even if nothing comes of it they will think twice about doing it again if they get a visit from the plod.

EDIT: Oh, no reg taken/couldn’t take reg. Well let it fester inside and slowly eat you up. Probably the best thing anyway.

brakes
    Free Member

People are idiots. Hopefully they’ve broken their knuckles/ wrist.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You need to toughen up if this made such a shocking impact on you both! Brush it off as thick people driving by having a laugh.

No big deal. If you got the reggy I’d have reported it but you didn’t so faggedabhattit!

spacemonkey

Seeing as it happened at 10pm it’s probably unlikely you’ll spot them in the same place at the same time if you did a stakeout. Had it been 5-7pm it might have been worth a shot, even if only to get the reg.

project
    Free Member

was on the pavement & my mate at the curb when a random bloke in a golf punched my mate on the shoulder as they went past. Completely unprovoked, mate said he hadn’t seen anyone pissed off with his riding or anything.

The driver obviously ticked the road rage thug on the options sheet when he got the car, seems to be a lot of golf thugs around.

fasthaggis

Had it been 5-7pm it might have been worth a shot,

Get tooled up for rush hour 😉

verses

glasgowdan – Member

You need to toughen up if this made such a shocking impact on you both! Brush it off as thick people driving by having a laugh.

No big deal. If you got the reggy I’d have reported it but you didn’t so faggedabhattit!

Unfortunately, this seems to be the best/most realistic way to respond to it…

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It’s assault. Report it. There’s CCTV everywhere these days

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I was shoved from behind riding on the road ten or so years ago, managed to wobble and stay upright but the lads in the car werent annoyed at me or cyclists they were very clearly thinking it was funny, it enraged me but I couldnt catch them and was too surprised to get a plate. I was worried they’d come back so quickly rode on. I think sometimes its a bit like kids throwing rocks off bridges at cars, mindless and stupid, they dont imagine the risks, they dont see the consequences and personally such idiots need labotomys.

nedrapier

I got a slap on the arse once, it was a lovely sunny day and the attractive girls in the convertible wot dun it turned round and waved.

Difficult to get too upset about that one!

patriotpro
    Free Member

I looked but the plate was dirty and all I got was 02

That will do for at least reporting it. Chances are it will come up for no insurance or similar and get pulled in that way.

EDIT: having an illegible reg plate is reason alone to be pulled over.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/today-i-got-road-raged
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hit-and-assaulted-by-driver-update

The guy went to court on the 2nd charged with Common Assault. Convicted & fined

Today I got a response from one of out fine politicians, didn’t make much difference…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So… out for a ride & my mate got punched by a passing motorist.’ is closed to new replies.