Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • So our new Polish neighbour knocked
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

And gave us a ‘kin massive turkey and said happy christmas. I was a bit taken back as we don’t really know them. Plus that’s quite a kind act. So what the flip do I do as a return gift??

Harry_the_Spider

Is she fit?

thepurist

Why mention they were Polish? Racist! 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Invite them over to help eat it?

In my experience, Polish people are increabibly friendly and generous.

Edit: – is my comment racist?

psling
    Free Member

Well, they’re probably expecting you to cook it and invite them round on xmas day…

Edit: my fingers are older and slower onzadog! 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

“Comin’ over ‘ere, buying our turkeys….”

Etc etc.

hora
    Free Member

Good quality Vodka.

Its a trick. Buy ropey cheap bird.

Get quality go go juice back

harrytoo
    Free Member

‘kin massive turkey

Swan?

butcher

Similar thing happened to us with Chinese neighbour, both when he moved in and at Crimbo. We just sent similar gifts back. It was a welcome change to the smack heads who lived there previously.

oldboy
    Free Member

For Daily Mail readers only 🙂 :

Return gift? A plane ticket home?

globalti
    Free Member

We’ve got an Asian family moved in two doors away two days ago so I’m looking forward to some curry.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, I would think about inviting them over for Christmas lunch. In Poland the tradition is to set an empty place at the table, to accommodate an unexpected guest. You could show them the fine traditions of a British Christmas.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve got a great neighbour! 🙂

stumpy01

I think Polish people celebrate Christmas on the 24th just in case you do think of inviting them over.

Trimix
    Free Member

Hows your plumbing ?

Sandwich

As Stumpy says most Europeans do a big meal on 24th. Large meal at 10pm in Austria so that they are all done by midnight for the gift giving. Epiphany is bigger on 5/6 January for a lot of the Catholic countries. Must go and ask if the neighbour wants to glug some whisky on Christmas Eve.

yossarian
    Free Member

My neighbour, he’s either Polish or Romanian, has taken to standing on his flat roof and shouting ‘I want to know what love is’ during the small hours.

Bloody foreigner.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yossarian, your meighbour sounds like he needs your help.

takisawa2

In my experience, Polish people are increabibly friendly and generous.

This.

geoffj

IIRC poles eat freshwater fish on the 24th, not turkey.

psling
    Free Member
    allmountainventure
    Free Member

Invite them over to eat it.

Or take it back round tomorrow and say “hey I got you one too mate”

woody21
    Free Member

Carp

bearnecessities

Edit: Polish folk IME are ridiculously friendly, like fatty cuts of meat, and can drink like fishies.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Carp is the Polish Christmas centrepiece, swimming in the tub for a few days, eaten on Xmas eve and there must be 12 dishes in total apparently. I still think it would good for them to see a blackened turkey with raw insides, then a family bust up before granny falls asleep in front of the Queen after too much sherry.

binners

Buy them some decent vodka or whiskey, but…. Whatever you do, don’t start drinking it with them! Seriously! Under any circumstances! From making the same mistake myself, on a few occasions …. If A bottle of vodka lasts 20 minutes, then they’re clearly on a go slow. That’s their equivalent of a leisurely pint!

You have been warned!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Poles and other East Europeans dont eat Turkey for Christmas, its normaly Carp although some eat Trout too.

If you want to impress them with a return gift give them a cabbage and some potatoes, as thats what they eat with the Carp.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Lol at some of the comments. Having been to Poland (some rural bits) I know what they are like for drinking! There are 4 of them next door and they seem friendly and amicable (I had to go round the 3rd day after they moved in as them being noisy til 4 in the morn for 2 nights was a bit much!! They were very apologetic and promised to tame it down).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You could prepare and drop round a nice Brown Trout for Christmas Day. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps down the chimney in the early hours? The ultimate Secret STW Santa.

rickmeister

Carp… definitely. And as I found out in Prague at Christmas, keep it in the bath the week before so it gets a chance to be less muddy tasting.

trout
    Free Member

Thats Poland off the xmas holiday destination list

Mackem

I wouldnt bother doing anything, yet. I hate it when people feel obliged to give me something after I’ve done them a good turn. Wait for Polish day (if it exists) , or maybe something for New Year.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

lol

RichPenny
    Free Member

Lol at trout.

seavers
    Free Member

It’s a nice gesture from your new neighbours. Why not invite them round for a slap up meal, some nice drinks and get to know them.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Our Polish lads at work are more courteous and polite than most of the indigenous staff. It’s traditional for Poles to eat Carp for Christmas I think so maybe the Turkey was surplus to requirements. Still a nice gesture.

CountZero

I knew that carp was a popular fish, and I knew that, as a bottom feeder, they didn’t taste that great. The trick of letting it swim around in clean water explains a lot. The damn things can certainly grow to a good size.

onandon
    Free Member

‘kin massive turkey
    Swan?

This was my first thought.

As a gesture, you could offer to clean their car with a team of 6 mates 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Swan?

Genuine lol 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘So our new Polish neighbour knocked’ is closed to new replies.