Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • So now the Flux is sold.. which 29er SS? Fireline? El Mariachi? Solaris?
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a SS 29er. Something to take riding around the North Downs and Swinley type areas.

Looking for
    – Minimal maintenance (hence SS)
    – Alternate to my Turner 5spot when the trails are drenched
    – Light and nimble
    – Able to be converted to 1×10
    – Fits the 29er RS Revelations (120 – 140mm) I just bought from CRC
    – No more than £500 for the frame

The Titus Fileline seems to tick all the boxes (and I’ve always fancied a ti ss) but before I pull the trigger should I consider

– Cotic Solaris (steeper head angle / perceived higher quality / heavier)
    – Salsa El Mariachi (steeper head angle / heavier / nice SS friendly drop outs)
    – 2nd hand Canfield Nimble 9 (If I could find one / heavier / too DH oriented?)
    – something else?

What do y’all think?

ojom
    Free Member

Isn’t the Fileline a PITA?

charliedontsurf

I have a brand new nimble 9 in large / black… It’s going to be very cheap. Drop me an email.

They are not heavy, and make great XC machines. Would be great with a 120 fork.

The salsa may struggle with a 120 as it intended for 80-100.

thewanderer
    Free Member

My understanding is that the Fileline just requires some mods to the brake and guide (if using). No big thing to me.

Charlie – what height range does the Large Nimble 9 cover?

khani
    Free Member

As much as I love my El Mariachi, and as easy as it is to swap between gears and SS, and as easy as it is to set up SS while still being able to drop the wheel out without faffing.. AND… the silly low pricefrom Charlie up there ^^^
    I think 120mm on the front will be too much..

thewanderer
    Free Member

Charlie – emailed you.

Khani – I was thinking I might be able to lower the fork to 100mm (not sure about this though)

monkeychild
    Free Member

Is the El Mariachi “that good”??? How does it ride fully rigid?? Is it good as an all day/multi day machine?

oxym0r0n

Love my El Mariachi (SS, fully rigid)
    Love my Solaris (1×9, F29s)

Courses for horses innit. I would say the “steel feel” is comparable between them. If anything the El Mariachi is more comfortable at the back but the Solaris feels better for big riding i.e. easier to pop the front up for drops, roots etc.

The dropout system is sorted on the El Mariachi but watch the rear brake compatability (I had to run a 140 caliper with +20).

I thought I had a flat tyre on my Solaris on Sat as I’ve been riding the El M more – very involving riding (on the Quantocks) fully rigid but I enjoy the challenge and cheapness/less maintenence

nordofjura
    Free Member

Is the El Mariachi “that good”??? How does it ride fully rigid?? Is it good as an all day/multi day machine?

I own one for a few weeks now. Coming from a Bfe it’s quite a difference, but I have to say, at least as much fun. I’m riding it rigid with a 1/10-setup. Lighter, straighter steering and more comfortable over small rocks, faster uphill. And it’s just beautiful to look at. Can’t wait to ride the trails without the snow though. Got mine from CTBM. You won’t find something eaysier to convert from/to SS.

dickie
    Free Member

Pace RC129

Candodavid
    Free Member

Titus Fireline – the bike for those who want to compromise ( tyres, seatpost, f/mech)
    Nimble 9 has wide stays so might be prone to a bit of rub, Solaris you will need a tensioner for SS, el mariachi is shorter travel.
    Tough call

thewanderer
    Free Member

I think I can live with the Fireline compromises – not wanting a front derailleur or massive rear tires – as long as the seat post fits.

Nimble 9 is tempting but I like the idea of Ti. Would be keen to hear more reviews of the Fireline.

khani
    Free Member

I’m loving my El Mariachi, started out with f100’s and gears which felt great, and went rigid SS in the slop which also feels great..
    I didn’t appreciate the dropouts til I watched a mate faff with tugs and half links,it’s soooo easy to set up it takes a minute, the brake bolts to the dropout and moves with the wheel when you adjust it, and removing the wheel is a matter of undoing the QR and pull..

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ti is not a bike for life

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have a mariachi full rigid as my winter bike
    Mines the steel one and it got used far more than I expected
    Drop out works treat too. Just fitted a speed hub and was very easy

Would not put 120 mm forks on it though , tried line with some 120 fox and felt a bit odd
    So back to rigid

thewanderer
    Free Member

Titus Fireline – the bike for those who want to compromise

Ti is not a bike for life

Can do David – not too sure you’re living up to your username 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

If I’m spending £600, I don’t have to compromise 😆

ferneygreen
    Free Member

Surly Ogre? I have one as my utilibike. Have run it fixed, single and 3×9 and whilst I appreciate its lack of front boing, with balloony 2.4s its surprising what you can do.

More relevant perhaps, I went through the ” which HT with suspension”debate and was initially tempted by the fireline. However having followed the thread on here for the last couple of months I plumped for the Solaris as the f’line smacks of a botched rush job whose only real advatage is the metal its made of.

I’ve got the same forks but have taken them down to 100mm which is straightforward enough to do. I gave it its maiden voyage yesterday and its a lovely ride. Will I go to 120mm? Perhaps, but I guess it depends whether you value climbing ability.

Depends on your height too. I’m a shortarse and got the last of the limited run of small solarises.

Clink

Presume Revs are tapered? rules out the old Nimble 9. New one looks good, but heavy, expensive and not available yet.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got an El Mariachi, which I built up rigid with eXotic carbon forks. The front end feels stupidly light, and even with a 90mm stem the steering is immediate. Highly recommended.

placid_casual
    Free Member

One of your choices is quite pretty…

Salsa El Mariachi Singlespeed by placid casual, on Flickr

More pics

the_lecht_rocks

Loving my fileline 29″. Snappy, stable , superb…. Replaced my ti456….. Wondrous and FAST ,

takisawa2

Get a SIR.9 instead.

Oh, ok then, the Salsa. 🙂

Bernaard
    Free Member

Late entry. Vassago Jabberwocky?

I know someone with a brand new frame going……….

Clobber
    Free Member

Singular, surely…

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve just got an el mariachi and it does have gears on at the mo it will soon lose them. It rides a treat get one!!!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

For me the solaris is a better ‘all round’ bike than the fireline, really depends on what you want to use it for. Fireline is a hoot though 😀

Btw there is no compromise with the fireline, a Hans Damph will fit with a front mech and they are huge when run tubeless.

tobymc

Triton Cycles for an El Mar with vast reductions and maybe a voucher code too….

monkeychild
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^

This

the_lecht_rocks

Bigdug… What do you mean by the Solaris being better all round ?

ojom
    Free Member

I would imagine he means that it is better all round cause it is.
    It has been designed and then built properly.

Not wanting to put words in dugs mouth though.

scotroutes

Mibbe he means that the tubes are actually “all round”. Something not guaranteed with the Fileline build quality.

the_lecht_rocks

😆 mines brill, great fun !

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

No i mean as an all round bike. Whilst being great on the downs, the solaris does long days in the saddle and xc better. The fireline is a superb trail bike but the angles are too slack and tt too short to be a do it all bike.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘So now the Flux is sold.. which 29er SS? Fireline? El Mariachi? Solaris?’ is closed to new replies.